Linux XBMCbuntu, Webmin and a new hard drive
I have posted before and Though I fixed it but i haven't... Here is the issue

I have had XBMCbuntu running for over a year on a 250 gb Hard drive. It's connected to my system in the office to stream movies to it. It runs well for the most part. I have decided to get a 3 TB drive and plug it into the xbmc system. This is where i'm running into problems. I thought i had everything setup properly but I don't.

I wanted Windows to have access to the drive so I created 2 Partions using NTFS. one is 1.8TB the other 1.0 TB I was able to mount the 1.0TB drive to /media I have never been able to get the other to mount to anything. I have tried to make a mount point called /movies. It fails every time. I decided to start over thinking maybe i screwed up the paritions. Using Webmin (since i'm not at home right now but do have shh access) I delete the partition and I have attempted to recreate with errors(error is listed below) Part of the problem is my lack on knowledge. I would almost consider myself a linux novice still even though i used FreeBSD in the late 90's things have changed.

I really hope someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I know it's a knowledge issue. If needed I can set it to a external IP address if someone can help that way too.

Error Creating partion is as follows
Failed to save partition : parted -s /dev/sdb unit cyl mkpartfs primary NTFS 0 264801 failed : WARNING: you are attempting to use parted to operate on (mkpartfs) a file system. parted's file system manipulation code is not as robust as what you'll find in dedicated, file-system-specific packages like e2fsprogs. We recommend you use parted only to manipulate partition tables, whenever possible. Support for performing most operations on most types of file systems will be removed in an upcoming release. No Implementation: Support for creating ntfs file systems is not implemented yet.
I'd say step 1 would be to make sure you can get the 3TB drive working in Linux period.

You're using parted so may be on the right track, however, you need to make sure to setup a GPT partition due to the >2TB size. Below is what I did to set a SINGLE 3TB partition on a Seagate drive for the proper 4k alignment as well...

Code:
:~$ sudo parted -a opt /dev/sdh
(parted) unit mib                                                    
(parted) mklabel gpt                                                    
Warning: The existing disk label on /dev/sdh will be destroyed and all data on this disk will be lost. Do you want to continue?
Yes/No? y                                                                
(parted) mkpart pri 1 100%                                                                                                                                                
(parted) print                                                        
Model: ATA ST3000DM001-9YN1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdh: 2861588MiB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Number  Start    End         Size        File system  Name     Flags
1      1.00MiB  2861588MiB  2861587MiB               primary  
--------------
:~$ sudo gdisk -l /dev/sdh
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.6.14
Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present
Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
Disk /dev/sdh: 5860533168 sectors, 2.7 TiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): ......
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 5860533134
Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
Total free space is 2925 sectors (1.4 MiB)
Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1            2048      5860532223   2.7 TiB                 primary

After this I then formatted it for ext4, but NTFS may work at this point as well...don't honestly know since I keep Windows at arms-length at all times.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Yes Linux does see the drives. My windows can see the drives but can not access them now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu, Webmin and a new hard drive0