Raspberry Pi: Noobs card installation.
I took the plunge with one of These cards a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the speeds I achieved scrolling menus, accessing sources etc, so much so that it quickly became my default install method, rather than the previous SD card/USB 3.0 method (Transcend Jetflash 700, 16GB stick)

I overwrote the default OpenELEC install with the MillhouseVH 27th March build, purely because that was the one I was using at the time, and still is for that matter. Then I decided to do a back up using USB image tool. Once that was done I did a restore of the image onto an old 8GB Sandisk card I had laying around, and sure enough that appeared to be equally as snappy as the official Noobs card. The curious thing was, whenever I've used that same method of transferring a back up onto another SD card, the new card has ended up with various bits of the OS's settings missing. It's been awhile since I've done this, but from memory some skin settings weren't 'remembered', regional settings needed to be set, weather etc, but the main downside was that whereas the sources transferred across fine, my library still needed to be re-scanned to get all the relevant info? Even though I have it set to export to the relevant files, folders and Nfo's.
The Noobs card Back up onto a new card, on the other hand, has EVERYTHING it's donor had, so a perfect clone?

Could someone enlighten me as to why this is? I suspect it's due to the Noobs card somehow shutting OE/XBMC down prior to powering off in a state that is cloneable, rather than simply a 'copy' that loses some of the 'live' settings, Guisettings.xml perhaps?
If your cloning process is resulting in an incomplete or corrupt system, its a problem with the cloning tool, not your original install. It should be able to restore precisely the same state.

If you're cloning to the same size disk I'd recommend win32 disk imager:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

This seems to be the go-to tool for most people backing up and restoring Raspberry Pi SD images.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
win32diskimager is only for images though, how would I use it to back up the (previously used) USB part of my set up?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi: Noobs card installation.0