'Recently Aired' sorting option and widget?
Hi everybody -

The number one feature my wife uses is the 'Recently Added' widget and sub-menu of the TV Shows section. She loves it because it gives her a nice clean list of new content that she can watch without sifting through the entire library. Problem is, sometimes I add random older shows for myself (seasons at a time), and since they are the latest shows to be detected by XBMC, they will occupy a majority of the recently added list and widget space, frustrating my wife in the process since she now has to sift through a mass of content (first world problems, I know).

My question: Is it possible to create a widget and sub-menu that will show recently aired tv shows? This would allow me to add content to the library without ruining her list of new shows that she loves so much.

Thanks!
I've been reading about smart playlists, which could be a potential workaround for now. I'll post what I come up with in case anybody else has an interest in this.
You get several options out of the box in advancedsettings, I don't think they're a simple fix to your specific problem, nor is modifying the database directly (which is what I've done as a simple ad-hoc amendment). As you can see in my recent post the home screen widgets don't filter as-per the smartplaylist either.
Depending on the skin there is a widget called recommended episode. This shows what episode is next to be watched. Second is to create a smart play list. Third check out the add-on lazytv
"recently added" is a sort based on the "dateadded" in the video database. "dateadded" by default is the file's modified timestamp in the video file that is added to the database. It can be changed in advancedsettings to either the most recent of file's modified timestamp or file's created timestamp, or to current date/time (when actually added).

Did a little searching, and found a nice mod by user Henryford here:

service.skin.widgets mod

This adds a new setting in the skin.widgets configuration settings that allows you to either sort the skin widgets by the "date added" in the database, or by the "aired date" in the database (this assumes you scraped the data aired). Did a quick try in Helix 14.0 and seems to do what he says. He only provided a language strings.po file for English, so if you need another language you need to edit your language file to add the new setting label.

scott s.
A workaround that I use is to use "Bulk Renamer" to change the file dates on older shows that I add to the date that the first episode was aired before I update the XBMC Library.
(2015-01-08, 00:56)scott967 Wrote: "recently added" is a sort based on the "dateadded" in the video database. "dateadded" by default is the file's modified timestamp in the video file that is added to the database. It can be changed in advancedsettings to either the most recent of file's modified timestamp or file's created timestamp, or to current date/time (when actually added).

Did a little searching, and found a nice mod by user Henryford here:

service.skin.widgets mod

This adds a new setting in the skin.widgets configuration settings that allows you to either sort the skin widgets by the "date added" in the database, or by the "aired date" in the database (this assumes you scraped the data aired). Did a quick try in Helix 14.0 and seems to do what he says. He only provided a language strings.po file for English, so if you need another language you need to edit your language file to add the new setting label.

scott s.

That's a nice little fetaure. It's a shame Martijn wouldn't add it to the main branch.
My fanart.tv & themoviedb.org accounts.

i hadnt even thought about about a "date added" rather than "date aried" thing, but it would be realy handy so i wouldnt need to search through 40+ folders to to see if theres anything new in them , id love to see this option added , especially if its an extra option than a change of option
You can download the mod here, and use it to replace the current skin widgets folder in addons.

Just make sure the version number is greater than the offical release.

my current one is v0.0.29 and that one is v0.0.27 :-( . would it just update back to v0.0.29 if i used it ?
Yes. Just change the version in addon.xml to 0.0.30 (or whatever you like as long as it's higher than 0.0.29).

There is a simple fix for this.

This is for Kodi 14.1

Modify the addon service.skin.widgets (%appdata%\Kodi\addons\..)
Modify the file default.py in service.skin.widgets these lines below are 331 - 333 for me while using notepad++

Code:
if request == 'RecentEpisode' and self.RECENTITEMS_UNPLAYED:
                json_query = xbmc.executeJSONRPC('%s "sort": {"order": "descending", "method": "dateadded"}, "filter": {"field": "playcount", "operator": "lessthan", "value": "1"}}}' %json_string)
            elif request == 'RecentEpisode':
                json_query = xbmc.executeJSONRPC('%s "sort": {"order": "descending", "method": "dateadded"}}}' %json_string)

modify the "dateadded" to "year" in line 331 and 333 (331 is if you hide watched, and 333 is if you do not hide watched)

Code:
if request == 'RecentEpisode' and self.RECENTITEMS_UNPLAYED:
                json_query = xbmc.executeJSONRPC('%s "sort": {"order": "descending", "method": "year"}, "filter": {"field": "playcount", "operator": "lessthan", "value": "1"}}}' %json_string)
            elif request == 'RecentEpisode':
                json_query = xbmc.executeJSONRPC('%s "sort": {"order": "descending", "method": "year"}}}' %json_string)

Then restart Kodi. and give it a minute and it should now show the latest aired tv show in the widget not the latest added..
If skin would support "extended info script" a whole lote more is possible with widgets

You could let it scroll for examples covers of "in cinemas now" or "coming soon", "smart playlists" and stuff etc etc...
If you click on it, you would immediately see trailers...

Very nice for home page.

Thats why i requested it for MQ6
Has anybody found a solution that works in Kodi 15.0 as well? I'm having a doozy of a time trying to get this to work. It would be PERFECT for what I'm looking for!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'Recently Aired' sorting option and widget?0