FIXED: A/V sync issue @ 29.97 fps on Intel NUC5PPYH (Braswell) & VAAPI "on"
Update: VAAPI Settings issue, see next post down.

Brand new Intel NUC5PPYH Braswell, booted from OE 6 official & upgraded to Milhouse build # 1119.

Everything seemed to be working fine until I played an MVK full quality rip of a concert video (Rush) which is encoded at 29.97 fps. DTS-MA audio track. Immediately begins to lose A/V sync...you can press the "O" key & watch it creep higher & higher until it floats around +3 or +4 and eventually drifts away totally out of sync by a second or two.

I checked another similar video, same thing. I tried a DVD rip, same frame rate, no sync loss. No sync loss on 1080 24p or 1080 60p MKV or MP4 rips either.

A/V sync issue happens with pass-thru on or off.

Here's the best part...I have a ASUS M004U Chromebox, same build, same build method, and it plays fine. It also plays fine on SATV and Windows 10. Cool

No debug log, no issue, no problem! Big Grin
http://xbmclogs.com/pbs3vzybu

The file opens about here:

line 797: 19:04:44 44.657475 T:140144438929152 INFO: ffmpeg[7F75EB7FE700]: Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'smb://WDMYCLOUD/Public/Shared Videos/5.1 Blu Ray/Rush Clockwork Angels Tour/RUSH CLOCKWORK ANGELS.mkv':

...and it looks like it all starts to go to hell about here:

line 1046:19:04:44 44.993805 T:140146091890432 DEBUG: ActiveAE::SyncStream - average error of 76.042878, start adjusting
line 1047:19:04:44 45.041996 T:140146091890432 DEBUG: ActiveAE::SyncStream - average error 26.042878 below threshold of 30.000000

...and then we get about a gazillion of these:

line 2971:19:05:21 81.925682 T:140144425920256 DEBUG: CVideoPlayerVideo::CalcDropRequirement - hurry: 1

The issue also exists in OE 6 official.

If you need more info feel free to ask. No Rush jokes, please. It didn't start happening when Geddy started singing, no. Wink

Thanks for your help. Have fun gentlemen. BTW, hardware HEVC decoding works like a champ, it eats those Samsung 4K test clips for lunch!
Update:

It's something to do with VAAPI HW acceleration, when I disable it the A/V sync issue is cured. Which makes sense, given the difference in GPUs between the 2 boxes.

In fact, upon further inspection the video rendering is not right either...it's not that nice smooth HD video you get at that frame rate on the Chromebox w/ VAAPI.

HEVC encoded 4K video at the same 29.97 fps is rendered correctly in VAAPI, however. Just checked a few of the Samsung 4K test files.

Here's the log file of the Chromebox playing the Rush file correctly:

http://xbmclogs.com/peknhbz5k
Quote:19:04:44 44.747093 T:140144406427392 DEBUG: ffmpeg[7F75E98FF700]: [src] w:1920 h:1080 pixfmt:nv12 tb:1/1 fr:0/1 sar:1/1 sws_param:
19:04:44 44.747219 T:140144406427392 DEBUG: CFFmpegPostproc::Init - skip deinterlacing

You are using software deinterlacing ... play the video - click on the film role, choose: Deinterlace: Auto Deinterlacing-Method: VAAPI - Motion Compensation, then save for all files.

and be fine.

Edit: Btw. settings wise you ignored everything that is written out there - be it in the chromebox wiki thread or in the 5 braswell threads arround here.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Really? I thought I had all settings exactly as listed in your New Era thread. Would you mind elaborating what settings are wrong? Thanks for your help. I will double check and also check the deinterlacing settings as well.

System->Settings->System->Video Settings:
Vertical Sync: Let Driver decide

System ->Video->Acceleration:
Enable HQ Scalers for scaling above: 20%
Allow hardware acceleration (VDPAU): off
Allow hardware acceleration (VAAPI): On
Use Mpeg-2 VAAPI: Yes
Use Mpeg-4 VAAPI: if you like
UseVC-1 VAAPI: on
Prefer VAAPI Render Method: on <- This version has the banding fixed, so enable that setting to save CPU cycles with 100% quality.
Adjust Refreshrate to match video: On

System -> Video -> Playback
Sync Playback to Display: Off (using passthru)

Audio
Best Match, pass thru enabled (also tried disabled w/ sync to display on)
While playing a video ...

fritsch Wrote:While watching a SD(!) video, that is accelerated by VAAPI, e.g. mpeg-2 or h264, click the film role and choose: Deinterlace: Auto (Never set this to ON it will harm for everything that is not interlaced) Deinterlacing-Method: VAAPI-MCDI or VAAPI-MADI (Sandybridge) and VAAPI-BOB (BYT), Scaling Method: Lanczos3 Optimized and choose save for all files. Remember to do this only in combination with the above "scaling above" for 20%. This Lanczos3 Optimized filter is too heavy for BYTs, here you might - depending on the file - choose Bilinear.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks, I'm about to go over everything again with a fine-tooth comb, I will report back shortly.

I didn't use those settings as the file is not SD, it's 1920x1080. Never touched them on the Chromebox & it played correctly. But I will give it a go, thanks!

UPDATE:
Enabling VAAPI Motion Compensation fixed the A/V sync issue, thank you!

Interesting because on the Chromebox, I have it set to AUTO & I have no issues. I guess the Braswell is a different animal in this regard. I learned something new today. Cool

BTW, I didn't ignore your settings, I didn't think it applied because the video is HD, not SD. I learned a while ago to follow all your recommendations or prepare to get fritsch-slapped! Wink

Thanks again for your help.
You shall use an SD file - cause if not - you don't find the "Lanczos3 Optimized" setting ... cause this is disabled for 1080p content - as it would not make sense to upscale 1080 to 1080 ... as there is nothing to scale ... (hint: Use HQ scalers when scaling above 20%).
(2015-12-05, 15:09)fritsch Wrote: You shall use an SD file - cause if not - you don't find the "Lanczos3 Optimized" setting ... cause this is disabled for 1080p content - as it would not make sense to upscale 1080 to 1080 ... as there is nothing to scale ... (hint: Use HQ scalers when scaling above 20%).

Yes sir, I'm aware of all that as previously read & understood and already set as such, thanks!

To summarize, it looks like on the Braswell, for HD content @ 29.97 fps, I must manually set deinterlacing to VAAPI Motion Compensation to avoid any A/V sync issues, and save to all files.

This differs from the Chromebox where, in my experience, deinterlace=auto worked correctly under the same conditions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FIXED: A/V sync issue @ 29.97 fps on Intel NUC5PPYH (Braswell) & VAAPI "on"0