USB Problem
I just have my RPi2 and starting to learn how to use it with openelec.
Most things i already picked up here on the forums but i still have one issue.
I have problems with connecting devices with USB.

USB sticks only get recognized 1 out of 5 times
My USB HDD never connects and makes a ticking sound like when you dropped it.
the only thing that always works on USB is my logitech bluetooth stick for keyboard

My devices work ok on my pc.

thanks in advance!
Try adding the following to config.txt:
Code:
max_usb_current=1

To edit config.txt, plug the SD card into your PC - you should find config.txt in the top level directory of the SD card.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
The HDD sounds like a power supply issue - they need quite a bit of electrical current to work, which your power supply may not be able to provide via the Pi's USB port.

What are you using to power the Pi, and what current rating does it have? The simplest way to ensure you have enough current is to connect the HDD via a powered hub, that way the hub is powering the drive not the Pi's USB port.

The sticks could well be something similar if the PSU is really borderline, although they need much less power to operate than a physical drive does. You can also add the line "max_usb_current=1" to your config.txt file to tell the Pi to supply as much power as possible to the USB ports (simplest way to do this is to remove the uSD card from your Pi, connect it to a PC and then edit the file directly there as it's in the normally read-only flash partition when run under the Pi itself, but it is opened as read/write when done directly via a PC). That may help with the sticks, but a hub and/or better power supply is possibly your solution for the HDD.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I am using a samsung adapter 5v 2A. I thought i read that it would be sufficient. I will try that config file when i am back from work. Thanks!
Using a 2A adapter is a good idea, but the behaviour between Pi1 and Pi2 changed. To run a portable usb drive, use Milhouse suggested code. I do it for my Pi2, too. No issues.
Thanks, that worked!

i used the leopold openelec config cause i didnt know exactly how to edit the txt file.

in the meanwhile i also overclocked a bit:

gpu_mem=320
arm_freq=950
core_freq=450
over_voltage=2
force_turbo=1
sdram_freq=450

are these ok and not too far going? i got the message i lost my warranty

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB Problem0