Win Recordings converted to MKV not showing up
I finally bit the bullet and gave up WMC because I wanted to upgrade my system and try out some new options. So I went with Kodi and Argus TV, with Plex mixed in for streaming to other devices.

Anyway, I'm running MCEBuddy to monitor my recorded TV, remove the commercials, convert to MKV, and dump the file back into the source Recordings directory. However, once this is done, the new MKV file doesn't show up. I've tried restarting Kodi, restarting Windows, and nothing. I feel like I'm missing an obvious option.

The MKV file will play just fine, and has the commercials stripped out, as I expected, but it won't show up in Kodi still. Does the TV -> Recordings screen only show certain file types or something?

I'm running Kodi 15.2 (Isengard) on Windows 10 Pro (fully updated)
Hardware is an AMD A6 6400K (64-bit) @ 3.6 GHz (stock speed) with 8 GB of RAM
All media is located on local drives, and Argus TV is running on the same box.

Here's the MediaInfo page for the file in question. It's a pretty plain vanilla h.264/AC3 file in an MKV container.
Assuming you've setup the directory where all the recordings are as a Kodi source, if you didn't rename the file to something Kodi's scrapers understand, you won't see it. Based on that first line of your screen shot, I think that's the issue. I used ArgusTV for awhile, and I used a post processor to do that. It looks like the person who wrote it is still using Argus and Kodi, so it should be supported. It does require Java, and it can be a wee bit tricking to setup, but it does work.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=125364
Ok, so I change the MCEBuddy setup to skip renaming and moving the file, and even kept the .ts format. All it's doing is converting it from MPEG-2 to AVC, and removing the commercials. The filename and location are exactly the same. But once MCEBuddy does its processing, the file no longer shows up in "Recordings"

Here's an example of a converted .ts file, with the generated .nfo file (from MCEBuddy) and the original .thmb file that Kodi generated.
(2016-01-18, 00:23)brodie Wrote: Ok, so I change the MCEBuddy setup to skip renaming and moving the file, and even kept the .ts format. All it's doing is converting it from MPEG-2 to AVC, and removing the commercials. The filename and location are exactly the same. But once MCEBuddy does its processing, the file no longer shows up in "Recordings"

Here's an example of a converted .ts file, with the generated .nfo file (from MCEBuddy) and the original .thmb file that Kodi generated.

The best format is Show - S01E01 - Ep name
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
That didn't work, either. But when I put it back to what I posted in my screenshot, and restarted Kodi, they all showed up.... So... yeah, not sure what to do there.
There is a very simple reason for your problem.

Kodi by itself does not update its libraries automatically unless it is set up to do so.

Kodi uses databases for your sources and when a file is changed, renamed or deleted outside Kodi
the libraries/databases need to be refreshed.

There is an addon called Watchdog that watches the file locations and updates the libraries when something changes:

Add-on:Watchdog (wiki)

Another addon you can try is the Library Auto Update addon that updates the libraries on a timer:

Add-on:XBMC_Library_Auto_Update (wiki)

Both these Addons are in the Official Kodi Addon Repository

I have also set up the following in the Kodi settings to make sure the libraries are always up-to-date
when Kodi starts up:

Note: Done with the Confluence (Kodi's default) skin:

For the Video library:

Settings/Videos (wiki)
  • Checked Update library on startup
  • Checked Hide progress of library updates (can be annoying when you are watching something)

For the Music library:

Settings/Music (wiki)
  • Checked Update library on startup
  • Checked Hide progress of library updates (can be annoying when you are listening to music)

Give some of these suggestions a shot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recordings converted to MKV not showing up0