Can Kodi run with only a CPU
Hello!

So I'm about to upgrade my current desktop PC and I thought what better way to reuse my parts than to create a home theater PC. Now my current PC has a graphics card which I intend to keep in my new build, so then the question becomes: Do I need a graphics card to run Kodi? For my Kodi box I would be having a Intel core i5-2320 and 8GB ram. The i5 comes with Intel HD Graphics 2000.

If I need a GPU then please elaborate on your answer; why do I need one/why should I have one. You may also suggest budget cards that would work well for Kodi.
5320 is fine for kodi 1080p and kodi's gui itself.

Remember the Sandybridge has this annoying 24p bug ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-02-18, 16:43)fritsch Wrote: 5320 is fine for kodi 1080p and kodi's gui itself.

Remember the Sandybridge has this annoying 24p bug ...

Which i presume has never been fixed right up to this point, not even under Linux/OpenELEC , right? Well, there goes my ideea to ditch my Nvidia GPU down the drain...
(2016-02-18, 21:52)Soulbind Wrote: Which i presume has never been fixed right up to this point, not even under Linux/OpenELEC , right? Well, there goes my ideea to ditch my Nvidia GPU down the drain...

it's fixed on Haswell and newer for all OS; it's not strictly a driver bug.
(2016-02-18, 22:35)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-02-18, 21:52)Soulbind Wrote: Which i presume has never been fixed right up to this point, not even under Linux/OpenELEC , right? Well, there goes my ideea to ditch my Nvidia GPU down the drain...

Ahh, yeah, thanks, i know it's fixed under Haswell / Skylake / Broadwell etc. , i was hoping it was only a driver bug that maybe Intel fixed for Sandy / Ivy during these years . Guess not.
You might need a Voodoo Banshee card for it to work correctly, or a Riva TNT
Thanks for your replies. Guess I'll be having myself a nice Kodi box soon Smile
(2016-02-18, 22:37)Soulbind Wrote:
(2016-02-18, 22:35)Matt Devo Wrote:

Ahh, yeah, thanks, i know it's fixed under Haswell / Skylake / Broadwell etc. , i was hoping it was only a driver bug that maybe Intel fixed for Sandy / Ivy during these years . Guess not.

No - appears it was more serious architecture limitation than driver bug, so it hasn't been fixed.

Haswell and newer are fully 23.976/24.000 friendly, anything earlier (Ivy Bridge, Sandy Bridge, Clarkdale etc.) has the 23.976 bug which means you get repeated frames. Though I think 'Sync Playback to Display' will get round this by playing the content at 24.000 and resampling audio? (So you won't get bitstreamed audio but you will get decoded multichannel PCM if your set-up supports it?)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can Kodi run with only a CPU0