v18 NFS slower than SMB?
I just set up a new QNAP NAS and tested the different protocols/file systems for network media playback via Kodi Leia nightly on Sony Android TV using 802.11ac Wi-Fi. I used the jellyfish samples to do so. While I could go all the way up to 120mbps via DLNA/UPnP and SMB (v2.1), NFS (v3) suffered from severe re-buffering above the 70mbps sample already. I would have expected NFS to perform better than SMB? Probably not so much on Android TV?
The NFS protocol has less overhead, so should (in theory) be quicker. But as always, 'YMMV'. Smile

120mbps = 15 MB/s .. Is not bad for a wireless connection, but
as a comparison, I get 110+ MB/s on a gigabit cable connection (on Intel hardware).
Sony ATV doesn't have Gbit Ethernet. Routing cables would have been a problem anyway... So my TV has a dedicated 80MHz channel in the 5GHz band which is totally free of disturbance (measured with a spectrum analyzer). I could achieve a stable 250mbps when transferring TCP data.

While playing the jellyfish samples, 140mbps caused some stuttering issues via DLNA and SMB. The sample played fine from USB. I might try increasing buffer sizes. The 120mbps sample played fine via DLNA and SMB.

NFS playback suffered from rebuffering above the 70mbps sample already.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS slower than SMB?0