Android Ripping and streaming 3D movies from NAS to Sony Bravia (& if possible to projector)
Hi,

I have got quite a few 3D movies which I would like to rip and make it available for streaming from a Synology NAS. I've got a Sony Bravia KD-65ZD9 which supports 4K and 3D. I also have a Sony Bluray player connected to the TV via an Anthem Amplifier - both 4K and 3D capable.

I'm using DVDFab 11 to rip the Bluray's using the output format 3D.MKV.H.265.10bit. I tried various settings such as side by side, top bottom as well as 2 separate streams as well as changing the Video Stereo mode setting in the header to the respective 3D mode using mkvtoolnix. Once the latter one is set, Kodi shows in the movie list in the bottom right corner not 4K but 3D.

For my none-3D movies I actually use Plex server to transcode the movies to various devices, but for 4K and 3D I considered using Kodi. I installed it on the Sony and am able to access the NAS's NFS system.

When I stream a side by side or top bottom movies, it will show 2 pictures - either side by side or top bottom. I can switch 3D on in Kodi (usually 3D is automatically recognized) which results in the menu being shown twice, etc, but the TV doesn't switch into 3D mode. In fact, the Action menu has a menu item for 3D setting if I play a 3D movie from my Bluray player, but not if I stream it via Kodi. When I got into the TV setting (via Home) to the 3D setting page, the TV automatically switches from Kodi app to the HDMI port where the Bluray player is connected to. I can select Digital (aerial TV) as the input signal and also have the 3D option in the Actions menu. If I change it to a 3D mode and than go into Kodi, I get the top bottom pictures twice, but in miniture version - and Kodi's menu twice as well.

As a side note,
- Playing 3D from the HDMI however works perfectly.
- Playing it from a USB stick - no difference than via Kodi.
- Playing it from the Sony Bluray player using Plex Media Server gets me one step further. If the Video Stereo Mode is set to a 3D mode, my TV recognizes the 3D signal and switches 3D on. However, the picture is the same top bottom or side by side.

I have tried to talk to Sony about this, but this seems to be a complete non standard issue that we aren't getting anywhere. Amongst other things I'm told to charge the 3D glasses, only play the movie on a 3D capable device, etc. I think you get the direction this is going.

But where to start from here - I have no idea. Was anyone able to stream 3D from a NAS on a Bravia TV? Am I missing something specific?

Thanks in advance and sorry if my explanation wasn't very good,
Goppi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ripping and streaming 3D movies from NAS to Sony Bravia (& if possible to projector)0