Determining if a notification dialog is open
Currently working on a v19 version of my addon and I'm implementing several dialogs, background progress dialogs, and notification dialogs.

I've found in testing that if I have one function generate a notification and a follow on function generate another notification, that problems can occur.

For example:
python:

def func1():
current_dialog = xbmcgui.Dialog()
current_dialog.notification('Test1','Test1',xbmcgui.NOTIFICATION_INFO,5000,sound=False)
... do stuff...
xbmc.executebuiltin('Dialog.Close(notification,true)')
xbmc.sleep(NOTIFICATION_DEINIT_TIME) #Close the notification and wait for de-init to ensure any follow on notification are correctly shown, unsure if there's a better way to do this
del current_dialog

def func2():
current_dialog.notification('Test2,'Test2',xbmcgui.NOTIFICATION_INFO,5000,sound=False)
... do stuff...
xbmc.sleep(NOTIFICATION_DEINIT_TIME) #Close the notification and wait for de-init to ensure any follow on notification are correctly shown, unsure if there's a better way to do this
del current_dialog

If I call the first function and notification, then the second function and notification there can be a race condition where the first notification isn't fully closed/removed and the second notification wont appear.

Is there a way to determine if a dialog or notification is visible/open to avoid any race conditions? It doesn't appear that xbmcgui.getCurrentWindowId() works for dialog.notification.

Thanks in advance
(2021-01-15, 23:20)zachmorris Wrote: Currently working on a v19 version of my addon and I'm implementing several dialogs, background progress dialogs, and notification dialogs.

I've found in testing that if I have one function generate a notification and a follow on function generate another notification, that problems can occur.

For example:
python:

def func1():
current_dialog.notification('Test1','Test1',xbmcgui.NOTIFICATION_INFO,5000,sound=False)
... do stuff...
del current_dialog

def func2():
current_dialog.notification('Test2,'Test2',xbmcgui.NOTIFICATION_INFO,5000,sound=False)
... do stuff...
del current_dialog

If I call the first function and notification, then the second function and notification there can be a race condition where the first notification isn't fully closed/removed and the second notification wont appear.

Is there a way to determine if a dialog or notification is visible/open to avoid any race conditions? It doesn't appear that xbmcgui.getCurrentWindowId() works for dialog.notification.

Thanks in advance

I have a service process which does a lot of background processing with timers and events.  I use a combination of addon settings and global variables to manage race conditions.  For example, I'll set an addon setting or global variable when action 1 occurs and then when action 2 starts I check if action 1 is still active before doing anything.  if it is, action 2 exits.  Action1 resets the setting or variable when it ends.  Likewise in reverse is action 2 fires first.  Probably not the most elegant solution but it has been bulletproof for me.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Maybe xbmc.getCondVisibility('Window.IsActive(notification)') ? I've never tried it so don't know if it'll work.
(2021-01-16, 19:50)Roman_V_M Wrote: Maybe xbmc.getCondVisibility('Window.IsActive(notification)') ? I've never tried it so don't know if it'll work.

That worked. Thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Determining if a notification dialog is open0