Req Need a text editor for Kodi under Fire TV that can copy text & paste it elsewhere
Question 
I need to enter a very long string of digits into an addon's configuration form field. There are plenty of so-called "text editors" that come with various third-party file managers, but I've searched extensively and I can't find any way to copy the string from a text file and paste it using the Kodi interface (more specifically, I can't even figure out how to select text). I'm using the Confluence skin that's had very tiny modifications so that it works perfectly with v18.9. However, if I need to use some other skin to accomplish this, I'll switch to it (although I'd prefer something other than Estuary or Embuary if possible).

I'm running Kodi v18.9 within my Gen 2 Fire TV.

I figure that I might well be able to edit the addon's XML files and brute force the string in there, but I doubt this will be the only time I need to do something like this, so I'd prefer a higher-level select/copy/paste ability.

There's an old (2010) thread somewhere in this forum with a title referring to a text editor, but it's been withdrawn. Any other suggestions, please?
Not possible.
What's the add-on are you referring to? Perhaps there is another solution.
(2021-01-18, 23:17)Hitcher Wrote: Not possible.

Well, that's quite unfortunate. May I ask some questions, please? If you think I should post them elsewhere, please advise me.

Say I try to write my first Kodi addon in an attempt to do what I want (I'm an experienced developer under Windows and some other older operating systems, but I've crafted only the simplest Python and Android/Java tools). But assuming I would be able to develop such an addon that allows selecting and copying (into some kind of pseudo-clipboard), I'm guessing the problem is that there's no way to then paste the text into any input field using any known android Kodi skin and/or API. Is that correct?

How about if I'm able to code up a skin (I'm not at all confident I could do that, of course) that allows some approximation of pasting. Then would the problem be that there's no appropriate API function or other way to write/paste/access the Kodi core, at least not in such a way as that the string ended up in a data input field? Not even by tricking the keyboard subsystem?

Thank you for your reply, your time, and your patience!
(2021-01-19, 00:00)Klojum Wrote: What's the add-on are you referring to? Perhaps there is another solution.

Hi, Klojum!  I never installed it, and wouldn't, and I'm even reluctant to mention it because it's part of a now-banned repo (hint: Surely wRetched)  The addon is described as a developer tool text editor, but now that I think about it, even though I'm sure it could copy and paste inside the editor, it's far more doubtful that it could paste outside of itself and into a Kodi skin's data entry field.

But I'm pretty much just guessing...
Exclamation 
Hey! Look what I found! I haven't investigated yet, but the description is exactly what I need!

How to Paste Text to Kodi on Android
(2021-01-19, 00:34)Klark88 Wrote: and I'm even reluctant to mention it because it's part of a now-banned repo

Gee.. I guess my Inspector Gadget senses paid off again. Smile
(2021-01-19, 01:15)Klark88 Wrote: Hey! Look what I found! I haven't investigated yet, but the description is exactly what I need!

How to Paste Text to Kodi on Android

Never mind  Rolleyes This is a dead end. It's not for Kodi, per se, but rather for one of the Kodi remote controls for your android phone. Still, it's a workable short-term solution...
(2021-01-19, 02:02)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-01-19, 00:34)Klark88 Wrote: and I'm even reluctant to mention it because it's part of a now-banned repo

Gee.. I guess my Inspector Gadget senses paid off again. Smile
Sure enough! But I'd simply performed a google search for text editors for Kodi, and that was the only thing it found. I didn't know until I looked more closely that it was a badaddon...
When you don't have ssh,  using the Android Debut Bridge adb is a good choice to get disk access for difficult editing tasks.

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need a text editor for Kodi under Fire TV that can copy text & paste it elsewhere0