Solved AMD Radeon users, how are your HDR colors?
I ran across an issue evaluating Kodi Omega Beta 2 on a Beelink SER5 AMD 5560U mini PC with my Sony A80J OLED TV as the display. Briefly, HDR grayscale has a slight but visible green tint to it, and it appears to be due to Kodi selecting Pixel Shaders for the Render Method. I verified that Pixel Shaders give the same behavior on Intel and Nvidia, but Kodi selects DXVA by default for them, so it's not an issue if you leave Render Method at its default Auto Detect or select DXVA, as DXVA is not affected. Unfortunately, it's not possible to force the AMD machine to use DXVA for HDR by changing the setting; Kodi always picks Pixel Shaders for HDR on this AMD 5560U. It's a significant difference, with the dE2000 for an HDR 50% gray patch measuring 8.1 in Calman for AMD and 0.85 for Nvidia, Intel, and also my CCwGTV (Android 12). I opened an issue on it here, where I go into a lot more detail, provide pictures and test files, and describe several ways to test it:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/24712

While I specified Omega Beta 2 in my report, I've since verified the same behavior in Nexus. What I'm really interested to know is what I ended the second message with, "The really concerning problem is that my AMD 5560U machine cannot be made to use DXVA, at least not by changing the Render Method setting, so there's no workaround I know of. If all AMD cards behave like this, then no one with an AMD card is getting accurate color in HDR. If they calibrated with an accurate source, viewing on AMD is compromised. Conversely, if they used AMD as their calibration source for HDR, viewing on non-AMD devices is compromised."
Pixel shaders green tint solved in v21RC1.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Radeon users, how are your HDR colors?0