XBOX XBOX Series X/S HDR10 fallback not working correctly
First I gotta say awesome work to the devs who made HDR possible on the Xbox Series X! Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio passthrough is working well, HDR 10 is working for the most part.. However I am having an issue with some Dolby Vision Profile 7 files that have HDR10 fallback. As I am not using Dolby Vision on the Xbox Series X I am only wanting to use HDR10 layer for my 4K UHD Blu-ray files (.mkv container). 

I cannot seem to figure out why some .MKV files don't fallback to HDR10 properly? I few 4K UHD that I ripped from disk that won't fallback to HDR10 are WarGames 4K blu-ray, Weird Science 4K Blu-ray and the new Killer Klowns from Outer Space 4K that I got early over the weekend.

They don't seem to have anything weird about them when pulling media info, any clue what could be happening? All ripped using MakeMKV as well with no additional conversion. Thanks for any tips and also I am using the Plex Mod for Kodi add-on to connect to my Plex library. 

Xbox Version: 21 Omega on Xbox Series X
TV: Sony x90j
MediaInfo of the files?
(2024-05-11, 19:33)Hitcher Wrote: MediaInfo of the files?

Here you go, for whatever reason this one will not fall back to HDR 10. 

But this file which is also Dolby Vision Profile 7 with HDR 10 fallback works just fine. Here is the media info for that file which to me doesn't show anything different than the other?

What does it mean that they don't fallback to HDR10 properly?
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2024-05-11, 21:02)CrystalP Wrote: What does it mean that they don't fallback to HDR10 properly?

Yeah so the above 2 files for example are Dolby Vision and HDR10 in the same file. As the Xbox Series X/S doesn't support DV profile 7 both files should "fallback" to HDR10 instead. However some files aren't falling back to HDR10 properly IE not triggering HDR at all. Star Trek Strange New Worlds for example falls back to HDR10 as it should, Killer Klowns from Outer Space however doesn't trigger an HDR10 switch/fallback for my TV and has that grey, washed out look. 

I posted both of the mediainfo exports above and both look indentical, however the files do not behave the same. One has a higher overall bitrate than the other, but not sure if that even matters. Hope that explains it and sorry if it doesn't!
Have you setting "Adjust display refresh rate at Start/Stop" enabled?  (if not enable it)

Test with setting "Delay after change of refresh rate" to 0.5s, 1.5s and 2.0s
(2024-05-12, 10:53)jogal Wrote: Have you setting "Adjust display refresh rate at Start/Stop" enabled?  (if not enable it)

Test with setting "Delay after change of refresh rate" to 0.5s, 1.5s and 2.0s

Hi yes I already have that enabled, and was already running a 2.0s "Delay after change of refresh rate". Changing those values higher or lower doesn't seem to make a difference but I will try different settings. I saw some suggestions about disabling Dolby Vision under HDR supported modes, but Xbox doesn't have that option for some reason even when "Expert" is enabled in settings.

Will investigate more today as I'm not sure what could be the issue as 90% of the Movies that have Dolby Profile 7 work and fallback properly to HDR10 as expected, it's just a few movies that don't seem to have any correlation with bitrate, codec or anything that don't fallback properly. So weird!
A debug log would help figure it out.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBOX Series X/S HDR10 fallback not working correctly0