XBMC on OS X and Sony Bravia TV's
Hi, I am all new to using XBMC. I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to....

I have recent purchased a new Sony LCD, model KDL46W4500. Very happy with it. The one thing I am interested in is that it has Ethernet. I'd love to be able to stream content off my iMac and onto the TV. Is this possible?

I've messed around for hours and can't seem to make it work. Any advice?

Thanks
The TV has a DLNA client (uPNP media server shares). Apparently the client in the TV supports only Photos and Music (DRM-free), unfortunately not Video. Same goes for DLNA client in XBR model. It is however, a true DLNA client and will work with any DLNA certified uPNP media server.
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t46-w-seri...lspecs#tab

You can install a a uPNP server on your iMac to test Video, but it likely won't work. XBMC has a uPNP server built in so install the OS X XBMC build and enable the uPNP server under
Settings-->Network-->uPNP Settings
Enable uPNP server and add some Video to your Video shortcuts.
Then go on the TV and check for network shares.

I know the Samsung 7/8/9 series LCD TVs support DRM-free Video over pseduo-DLNA. The Samsung TV will only stream content off a Windows computer using the Samsung 'DLNA' software. A regular DLNA uPNP server like TVersity or XBMC will NOT work. You would need to VM/VirtualBox Windows and install the software on your iMac.
http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/dlna_guide.pdf

So it is better to explore the XBMC/Boxee or proprietary Popcorn-Hour route. Or if your iMAC is close to your TV (less than 25ft of cable length), try hooking up the iMac using the miniDVI/display port to DVI then HDMI adapter.
Hi Jore,

I have the KDL52W4500 and that's exactly what I tried when I got it last December, but unfortunately it only works with pics & music, not video. But then I got my ATV and hooked it up via HDMI, leaving all my videos on my NAS to stream over my wireless connection to the ATV / XBMC, very convenient and awesome quality.

Randy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on OS X and Sony Bravia TV's0