xbmc + Atv + external HDD
Sad 
Hi everyone, newbie here.

I want to buy an aTV, jailbreak same and run my 1TB HD from aTv.

The hard drive is formatted to NFTS. I current have over 350 movies and various TV series on the drive. Do I have to re format the drive to the Mac version HFS+ ?

Thanks in advance
You can't connect a HDD directly to the ATV, you have to access it over your network. Which means the format doesn't matter, but you do need to be able to reach it on your network.
This is not possible with ATV2 (based on iOS). If you really mean the ATV1 then use this forum for your question instead:

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=56
Grumpster Wrote:Hi everyone, newbie here.

I want to buy an aTV, jailbreak same and run my 1TB HD from aTv.

The hard drive is formatted to NFTS. I current have over 350 movies and various TV series on the drive. Do I have to re format the drive to the Mac version HFS+ ?

Thanks in advance
The mini USB on the black iOS-based ATV2 is useless and won't work. If thats your plan forget it. If you meant the ATV1 and posted in the wrong forum, you are in luck.

The USB on the silver older ATV1 can be activated using the NitoTV smart installer and works great. I always used HFS+ mac formatted HD's or Fat32 thumbdrives. I have read that Nito TV also has a way to mount NTFS formatted drives but I've not used it personally.
An old computer + cheap Nvidia PCI express card + MCE remote

Install XBMC live and plug your 1TB drive into that. Works beautifully!!!

As you can see ATV + XBMC hasn't quite gotten there yet.
number2 Wrote:An old computer + cheap Nvidia PCI express card + MCE remote

Install XBMC live and plug your 1TB drive into that. Works beautifully!!!

As you can see ATV + XBMC hasn't quite gotten there yet.

yeahhhhh , kind of Smile

What about the size, the noise, and the power consumption?

best solution for connecting extarnal HDD to ATV2 is either SheevaPlug or pogoplug solutions from seagate and western digital

cheap solution and very effective (for the whole network not just atv2)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc + Atv + external HDD0