Beginner question on ATV2/XBMC
Question 
Hi,

i read a while through the forum & the FAQ, but i am not sure about a few things:

Most of my movie files are mkv with h.264 1080p & AC3/DTS 5.1 + (sometimes) subtitles. I use a Synology NAS DS-211+ with the Serviio DLNA-Server via Gbit-LAN.

1. Is it (still) correct, that the ATV2 will not playback my movies at 1080p?
2. Some of the posts read seemed like 1080p playback is possible - but does it work smoothly? Right now i use a WDTV without problems (like framedrobs etc.), but no XMBC ;-)
3. Do I get the full 5.1 AC3/DTS sound without hassle via HDMI with ATV2/XMBC?
4. The original ATV2-remote does work perfectly with XMBC, right? The FAQ suggest that.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Yes, but make sure you are wired.

As long it's wired. You will get buffering issues over wireless.

I'm sure you should do, although I cannot be sure, my ATV2 is a secondary install and is only outputting Stereo direct to my TV via HDMI.

Definately, but make sure you read up on how the controls work. Holding buttons do things too - IE, holding the Menu button brings up the context menu.
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
1. it will not output 1080, only 720

2. it will playback most 1080 movies. The only 1080 file I've ever had that didn't play smoothly on my ATV2 is the Planet Earth flying birds sample.

3. yes. I think there's something about having to make sure the native ATV2 audio settings are in 16-bit (should be in the FAQ), but it should work just fine.

4. yes.
Hm... oh...ok.

The ATV2/XBMC-team does accept 1080p input, but still shows only a 720p picture?

That´s too bad. No go for me. Sad

Thx for your help.

Chris
Sheldor73 Wrote:Hm... oh...ok.

The ATV2/XBMC-team does accept 1080p input, but still shows only a 720p picture?

That´s too bad. No go for me. Sad

Thx for your help.

Chris

Yeah, as far as we can tell it's some kind of hardware limitation

Ironically, the ATV1 can output 1080 (totally different guts inside).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beginner question on ATV2/XBMC0