Dumb Question: How to remove "Library" and "Movies" from Videos startup window?
Hello guys,

I was fiddling around with xbmc windows version, and all of the sudden I ended up with four sub-menus under Videos on the main page!!!
It used to be that I only had "Files" & "Addons". Now I have: Movies, Files, Library, & Addons!!!! under Videos when you hover your mouse over "Videos" on the main page, there area now 4 sub-menus under Videos, instead of the default 2!!!!

I've searched quiet a bit for a solution to this mishap, but could not find anything applicable.

The closest I've found was this post, but I have to admit I have no clue what they're talking about in fixing the issue highlighted in the post.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...+sub+menus

Frankly, I'm not even sure, if it's the same problem I have...as mine is on the main page when you 1st launch xbmc...and hove ryour mouse over "Videos"

Please help...

Thanks
You've probably "set content" on some of your file folders and they got scanned into the library: Adding videos to the library (wiki)

See specifically: Adding videos to the library/Updating or removing videos (wiki) for removing them from the library. When there are no items in the library, those options disappear.
(2012-09-17, 15:40)Ned Scott Wrote: You've probably "set content" on some of your file folders and they got scanned into the library: Adding videos to the library (wiki)

See specifically: Adding videos to the library/Updating or removing videos (wiki) for removing them from the library. When there are no items in the library, those options disappear.

Ned, that's exactly the page I was looking at, but I couldn't quiet understand what I need to do to remove (only) those two entries from the main Videos sub-menu! I've clicked on clean library, but they're still there! It talks about setting content to "None", how do I do that and where? Can you please provide some steps on how to do it? Thanks a 10^6

1. Videos > Files
  2. Highlight your errant video source, click "c" to open the context menu, select "Change content"
  3. On the Set content page, change "This directory contains" setting to None, click OK (I believe you will be asked if you are sure you want to remove the items from the library; reply Yes)
  4. Repeat for any remaining video sources you may have inadvertently defined
Thank you artrafael! I can't go past step 1.

I open xbmc
hover my mouse on Videos
I see Movies ---- Files ----- Library ----- Addons (I want to remove Movies & Library and just keep the other 2)
I click on Files & see the following:

Movies
Recently Added Movies
Add Videos...
Playlists
Video Addons

At this stage I'm lost!!!

but I've highlighted Movies then pressed "c" on my keyboard, but all I get is:

Play
Add to favorites
Mark as Unwatched

Update Library

I don't get the content menu!

Thanks Again...
Question 1:
  1. Launch XBMC
  2. Using left/right arrow keys, highlight VIDEOS menu option
  3. Using down arrow key (and, if necessary, the right/left arrow key) to highlight "Files" submenu option of VIDEOS
  4. Press Enter key
  5. What options do you see listed?
Question 2:
  1. Launch XBMC
  3. Using down arrow key (and, if necessary, the right/left arrow key) to highlight "Movies" submenu option of VIDEOS
  4. Press Enter key
  5. What options do you see listed now?
Question 3:
  1. Launch XBMC
  3. Using down arrow key (and, if necessary, the right/left arrow key) to highlight "Library" submenu option of VIDEOS
  4. Press Enter key
  5. What options do you see listed now?

By the way, which skin are you using?
I'm using the default skin (for Video I see read seats in a theater)
Did exactly what you've mentioned above, and all I see is:

Movies
Recently Added Movies
Add Videos...
Playlists
Video Addons

!!!!

if you have TeamViewer you can access my PC and see exactly what I'm talking about...Thanks Again!
Sorry, I updated my post while you were composing your reply. I've added two more questions. Can you please post the options you see for questions 2 & 3 as well? Thanks.
Here you go...

It's exactly the same in all there cases!! Even under Add-ons!!!

Movies
Recently Added Movies
Add Videos...
Playlists
Video Addons

Thanks
Those three Video submenus should not display the same options. Your video database is seriously messed up. Exit XBMC and locate the MyVideos60.db file in the Database subdirectory of the userdata (wiki) directory on your harddrive. Delete or rename this file. Restart XBMC and the "Movies" and "Library" entries should be gone from your VIDEOS submenu.

Caveat: This procedure trashes your video library... but I'm assuming that's what you want to do anyway since you don't want to see the "Movies" and "Library" options.
Thanks artrafael! That did it! Note that now I only have 2 sub menus under Videos (File & Add-ons)/ When I click on them though, they both have the same menus (I should emphasize that that's at the root directory of these sub-menus). They both have:

Add Videos...
Playlists
Video Addons

Also I'm still unable to see get to the context menu!!! I'm not sure if that's normal for this skin or not, but I now have only 2 submenus which I wanted to see under Videos!

Thanks for your help!
(2012-09-18, 01:03)pmolson Wrote: Thanks artrafael! That did it! Note that now I only have 2 sub menus under Videos (File & Add-ons)/ When I click on them though, they both have the same menus (I should emphasize that that's at the root directory of these sub-menus). They both have:

Add Videos...
Playlists
Video Addons
That is not right. The Videos > Add-ons submenu should either list all your installed and enabled add-ons or the "Get Add-ons..." entry if you have none installed/enabled. Do you by chance have a <virtualshares> entry in your advancedsettings.xml (perhaps from your experimenting with the instructions mentioned in the thread you linked in your first post)? If so, erase that line from advancedsettings.xml (or erase advancedsettings.xml entirely if you have no other command statements in that file).
Quote:Also I'm still unable to see get to the context menu!!! I'm not sure if that's normal for this skin or not, but I now have only 2 submenus which I wanted to see under Videos!
You should be able to highlight the "Add videos...", "Playlists" or "Video Add-ons" item and click "c" to display the context (pop-up) menu for the highlighted item. Keep in mind that, as the name implies, these are context menus, so the menu options listed will vary with the type of item. If you're looking for the "Change content" option I'd mentioned in first reply, that's only available on the context menu for a media source you've already defined. Currently, you have no media sources.
I think we're on the same page regrading the fact that when I click Add-ons submenu I see the list of all my installed addons. On the top of that list there is ".." when i click on that it takes me to the root dir which shows:

Add Videos...
Playlists
Video Addons

And this is true for Files sub-menu as well...it also shows the list of add-ons I have and when I go one level higher (by clicking on ".." on top), it takes me to the same place as the Add-ons, which I think is WRONG! It is as if both the Add-ons and Files sub-menus are copies of each other!!!

Now back to your question about "virtualshares", I've located the "advancedsettings.xml" file, opened it using an xml editor, and I don't see an entry for "virtualshares".

-------------------------------
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<autodetectpingtime>30</autodetectpingtime> <!-- Tiempo en segundos entre pings para detectar nuevas xbox. Por defecto 30, minimo 1, maximo 240 -->
<curlclienttimeout>60</curlclienttimeout> <!-- Timeout en segundos para el reproductor (y otras conexiones). Por defecto 10, minimo 1, maximo 1000 -->
<curllowspeedtime>60</curllowspeedtime> <!-- Tiempo en segundos que el cliente http espera antes de considerar una conexion como lenta. Por defecto 20, minimo 1, maximo 1000 -->
<curlretries>2</curlretries> <!-- Numero de veces que el cliente http reintenta. Por defecto 2, minimo 0, maximo 10 -->
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6> <!-- Desactiva ipv6. Por defecto false -->
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Tamanyo de la cache del reproductor en bytes. Por defecto 20M (20*1024*1024), si es 0 usa una SimpleFileCache. -->
</network>
-------------------------------

I have no idea why is it in Spanish!!!

As for being able to highlight "Add videos...", "Playlists" or "Video Add-ons" items, individually of course, yes I can do that, but when I press "c" on my keyboard, I get a popup, but in there is no mention of "Change content"! so if I highlight Add Videos.. and press "c" on my keyboard, the pop-up displays the following:

Play
Add to favorites
Mark as Unwatched
Mark as Watched
Update Library

Which maybe right since I don't have any exiting vids in my library, I guess....

Thank you for your patience with me. I guess the only remaining issue now is the fact the both those Videos sub-menus, Add-ons & Files, show exactly the same thing!!!!
(2012-09-18, 02:33)pmolson Wrote: I think we're on the same page regrading the fact that when I click Add-ons submenu I see the list of all my installed addons.
Then you agree this is the correct behavior? And that clicking the "Videos > Files" and the "Videos > Add-ons" submenu buttons do not display the same things?

Quote:On the top of that list there is ".." when i click on that it takes me to the root dir which shows:

Add Videos...
Playlists
Video Addons

And this is true for Files sub-menu as well...it also shows the list of add-ons I have and when I go one level higher (by clicking on ".." on top), it takes me to the same place as the Add-ons, which I think is WRONG! It is as if both the Add-ons and Files sub-menus are copies of each other!!!
When you click the ".." link on the page that lists your add-ons, you are no longer looking at the add-ons page but, rather, at its parent page (which has the Add Videos, Playlists and Video Add-ons options). The "Videos > Files" and "Videos > Add-ons" submenus are not the same; they just have the same parent. If this presentation style is too confusing for you, you can always hide the parent link:
System/Settings > Appearance > File lists > Show parent folder items (de-select it)

Quote:I have no idea why is it in Spanish!!!
The advancedsettings.xml file does not exist by default. You must have copied or downloaded it from someone/somewhere else, and whoever created it is a Spanish writer.

Quote:As for being able to highlight "Add videos...", "Playlists" or "Video Add-ons" items, individually of course, yes I can do that, but when I press "c" on my keyboard, I get a popup, but in there is no mention of "Change content"! so if I highlight Add Videos.. and press "c" on my keyboard, the pop-up displays the following:

Play
Add to favorites
Mark as Unwatched
Mark as Watched
Update Library
Please re-read my previous post:
(2012-09-18, 01:49)artrafael Wrote: Keep in mind that, as the name implies, these are context menus, so the menu options listed will vary with the type of item. If you're looking for the "Change content" option I'd mentioned in first reply, that's only available on the context menu for a media source you've already defined. Currently, you have no media sources.

(2012-09-18, 09:02)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-09-18, 02:33)pmolson Wrote: I think we're on the same page regrading the fact that when I click Add-ons submenu I see the list of all my installed addons.
Then you agree this is the correct behavior? And that clicking the "Videos > Files" and the "Videos > Add-ons" submenu buttons do not display the same things?

Quote:On the top of that list there is ".." when i click on that it takes me to the root dir which shows:

Add Videos...
Playlists
Video Addons

When you click the ".." link on the page that lists your add-ons, you are no longer looking at the add-ons page but, rather, at its parent page (which has the Add Videos, Playlists and Video Add-ons options). The "Videos > Files" and "Videos > Add-ons" submenus are not the same; they just have the same parent. If this presentation style is too confusing for you, you can always hide the parent link:
System/Settings > Appearance > File lists > Show parent folder items (de-select it)

Quote:I have no idea why is it in Spanish!!!
The advancedsettings.xml file does not exist by default. You must have copied or downloaded it from someone/somewhere else, and whoever created it is a Spanish writer.

Quote:As for being able to highlight "Add videos...", "Playlists" or "Video Add-ons" items, individually of course, yes I can do that, but when I press "c" on my keyboard, I get a popup, but in there is no mention of "Change content"! so if I highlight Add Videos.. and press "c" on my keyboard, the pop-up displays the following:

Play
Add to favorites
Mark as Unwatched
Mark as Watched
Update Library
Please re-read my previous post:
(2012-09-18, 01:49)artrafael Wrote: Keep in mind that, as the name implies, these are context menus, so the menu options listed will vary with the type of item. If you're looking for the "Change content" option I'd mentioned in first reply, that's only available on the context menu for a media source you've already defined. Currently, you have no media sources.

Thank You Rafael!!

Thank You Very Much Bro! You've been a GREAT HELP!!! Time permitting, maybe you could shed some light on some of the challenges I've been having,with ATV2 now, not windows!!!

Here are some of my "orphan" posts (cry for help)...

http://Livestream Issue: http://forum.xb...pid1194846
http://(Aj Addon) Filmi By Nature: http:...tid=140787

I've uninstalled and reinstalled these addons several times, but nothing seems to work!!! They've been driving me NUT!!!

Thanks Again & God Bless!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dumb Question: How to remove "Library" and "Movies" from Videos startup window?0