PVR recommendations?
I am looking to build a new HTPC + PVR system. Currently, we have:
Zotac 330-Ion (Dual core)
4G Ram
XBMC
SageTV
Hauppauge 2250
XP

The machine definitely grinds down when it is recording two shows, playing another and converting an mpeg to H.264.

I want to move up to:
XBMC PVR
For The Record
Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner cablecard
Windows 7
4T drive(s)
mini/micro ITX

I would like enough horsepower to be viewing a movie locally, serve a remote xbmc, be recording on all 4 tuners (although two would be more typical) as well as compressing a movie to H.264. Of course I would like it quite, energy efficient, etc. and with lots of whipped cream and a pony. Perhaps it would make more sense to have two machines: one to record/convert and one to view/manage. I would prefer Linux, but "For the Record" supports linux/Mac clients, and my wife has a Mac.
I'd build a TV Server, not a one PC to rule them all. The ION system is more than capable for playback.

Be advised the cablecard won't be able to help you with For The Record if you want anything other than copy freely programming. WMC is the only client that supports DRMd content. Don't be surprised if all you get is the same programming you get on the 2250.

I'd go with a motherboard with as many expansion slots as you can, adding drives once you run out of SATA connectors will be easier.
Thank you for your suggestions.

I think you are suggesting that I
1) Keep my existing ION to run xbmc (which I would upgrade to Windows 7 or Linux)
2) Move the recording function to a new box. (Any feel for how much horsepower for this?)

Since we tend to manually trim each recording before transcoding, that function can probably be done on whatever box seems appropriate at the time.

Where should the disk be? A third, NAS box?

I am looking at using a ASUS P8Z77-M PRO Micro ATX Motherboard with an Intel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 35W Dual-Core HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120T.
I think you are getting a little ahead of youself here. You're going after a cablecard tuner. So that means you are likely going to be dealing with copy protected content - unless you have a cable provider that does not protect their content and those are a dying breed. If you are dealing with copy protected content (which is VERY likely) then there will be no more trimming and transcoding after recording. You record it onto the win7 PC and it stays on that machine, unaltered in it's .wtv format, and can only be viewed with that machine. The only option for remote viewing is to use an approved extender (i.e. XBOX 360). So linux/mac support is going to be a no-go for anything that is copy protected but for everything else you should have no problem.

The MB and CPU you are suggesting would be fine although I'd drop the T version CPU. The TDP is lower but it does not really use that much less energy. There are lots of reviews out there documenting this. So what you will end up with is a HTPC/PVR/Server in one box. I assume this will be located at your main TV since all of your copy protected TV content will be on this box. Your current ION would become a XBMC client and be served by the main HTPC/PVR/Server box. You could try running openelec on it.

BUT - before you decide on what to do I'd suggest you do some research to find out how your local provider flags their content. If you have Verizon FIOS for example then only premium content (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc) will be flagged as copy protected and subject to the restrictions I outlined above. If you have Time Warner (like me) then everything other than OTA channels is flagged as copy protected. So your needs really depend on your provider - as long as you understand the provider can change the CCI flags at any time.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
In my case the provider is Grande Communications. I'm checking to find out what they do. We almost always record from Turner Class Movies, MSNBC and a couple of others. We have no premium channels, although "premium" is in the eye of the cable company. I'm looking at new tuners for several reasons: 1) I need a second tuner to experiment with (wife would be unhappy if I take down the current system for a month while I work things out) 2) I'm not sure if the old hauppauge 2250 is supported in the XBMC PVRs 3) I might get some higher quality 4) Avoid some fairly rare channel contention.

Still, I hear what you are saying. I need to check on this a bit more before I start buying things.
Correct... Premium like HBO, etc would surely be off-limits. MSNBC, TCM, etc might very well be considered protected content as well. I too would love to get a few more tuners in place, but the reality is, I can't justify the price for something that can change on a whim. I do OTA to a HD Homerun and thats good enough for live TV. Everything else I have a broadband solution for.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR recommendations?0