Linux XBMCbuntu Does Not See Internal Drives
(2014-01-01, 16:21)uNiversal Wrote: Your telling FSTAB to mount /dev/sdb1 on the mount point /media/movies, This is for Linux only, then whatever sources you add and what content you set is in XBMC is another step you need Video_library/Setting_content_and_scanning (wiki)

I suggest you also read Video_library/Naming_files (wiki) before you go onto to try to populate your library so you dont have any miss scraped content.

I have no issues with adding to the library or naming conventions as I have been running an HTPC (XBMC on Windows) for many years. It was just the mounting of the drives that I am having problems with. I am not sure what you mean when you say that statement is for Linux only. I referred to the link you sent me to learn how to mount the drives in XBMCbuntu. What am I supposed to write in the ftsab file to auto mount the drives then?
Thanks.

John
He means the fstab entry mounts the partition IN LINUX. You then have to add the directory on the partition that has files as a source IN XBMC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Indeed, theres two steps,

1) Mount HDD in LINUX at every boot via fstab... DONE
2) Ensure files are named properly (according to naming conventions) then add as source and set content appropriately and scan (to form library) NEXT STEP.
(2014-01-02, 08:41)uNiversal Wrote: Indeed, theres two steps,

2) Ensure files are named properly (according to naming conventions) then add as source and set content appropriately and scan (to form library) NEXT STEP.

I get #2, but only want to know exactly where I go to and exactly what to type in the fstab to automatically mount the drives. I am clearly missing something in the explanation. I do not need to know anything about naming conventions, scraping etc. as I already know how to do that. My question is only "what do I need to type in the the fstab to make it work. I provided an example of what I did above, but it does not work. You keep referring to Linux. Are you referring to the destop GUI that comes with XBMCbunut?? Do I use the "XTerm" to edit the fstab file?
Sorry if your message is not coming across clearly.

To summarise. All I need to know is how to tell Linux how to automatically mount my drives. The precise line that I added does not work. That's it.
Thanks again for your time and patience.

John

(2014-01-02, 07:26)nickr Wrote: He means the fstab entry mounts the partition IN LINUX. You then have to add the directory on the partition that has files as a source IN XBMC.

I understand that (add directory as source), but when I go to the desktop GUI and edit the etc/fstab file in XTerm (to automatically mount the drives) with the the following line at the end of the file "/dev/sdb1 /media/movies vfat defaults 0 2" I get an error message on boot up.
Linux as in the OS Fstab is part of the OS specifically the file which mounts drives/filesystems

If what you put in fstab didnt work you need to make sure that

1) the /media/mountpoint exists
2) The mount options e.g. are valid for your drive and specifies the actual the drive filesystem ntfs, vfat, ext3, ext4 ....etc
3) and that issuing mount -a command (in terminal) does indeed make your drive contents show up in /media/mountpoit

(where mountpoint is the name you want and is same in fstab)

Provided to you a link to get you going and provided you information how to do it from beginning to end here it is AGAIN https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

I cannot tell you what line you type in exactly for you drive because it varies from filesystem to filesystem however the link I gave you is quite complete.

So you know I expect you to do all that from terminal SSH (wiki) Forget about UI and Desktops because they are not needed for this.

If you sill have no idea what to do, look at this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t...st10698975 and http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/mount-drive...ntu-linux/

You can use nano instead of vi, (they are both file editors for Linux but nano is simpler for novices)
Use SSH (wiki) t connect and do these things via command line.

Relax it wont bite.
(2014-01-02, 17:35)BamBam1963 Wrote:
(2014-01-02, 08:41)uNiversal Wrote: Indeed, theres two steps,

I get #2, but only want to know exactly where I go to and exactly what to type in the fstab to automatically mount the drives. I am clearly missing something in the explanation. I do not need to know anything about naming conventions, scraping etc. as I already know how to do that. My question is only "what do I need to type in the the fstab to make it work. I provided an example of what I did above, but it does not work. You keep referring to Linux. Are you referring to the destop GUI that comes with XBMCbunut?? Do I use the "XTerm" to edit the fstab file?
Sorry if your message is not coming across clearly.

To summarise. All I need to know is how to tell Linux how to automatically mount my drives. The precise line that I added does not work. That's it.
Thanks again for your time and patience.

John

(2014-01-02, 07:26)nickr Wrote: He means the fstab entry mounts the partition IN LINUX. You then have to add the directory on the partition that has files as a source IN XBMC.

I understand that (add directory as source), but when I go to the desktop GUI and edit the etc/fstab file in XTerm (to automatically mount the drives) with the the following line at the end of the file "/dev/sdb1 /media/movies vfat defaults 0 2" I get an error message on boot up.

What error message?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks everyone for your assistance. I almost got it all done until my video card died. I bought a new AMD card to find that it was not recognized by Ubuntu. I resolved the entire problem by rolling back to Win7. Everything works as it should now including my remote.
Cheers.
That's not exactly a problem resolution, but ya, Enjoy XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu Does Not See Internal Drives0