Android MKV Playback Issues on Nexus 7
I'm not new to XBMC. Happily using it on my Intel Nuc (Openelec) and have installed it on a few iPads all without issue.

However, I seem to be having an issue getting my MKV files to playback properly on my Nexus 7. When I select play I hear the movie start but the screen never switches over to show what is playing (whatever screen I was on when selecting Play just simply stays up). The movie plays for about 5-8 seconds and then stops.

Am I missing something that's necessary to make this work? Never encountered anything like this before.
It should just work. Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when you attempt to playback a video?
OK. Stupid question... Where do I find the debug log on my Nexus once I've generated the log?
Check the link, debug log (wiki). It should point you to a couple of options, such as the XBMC debug log uploader add-on, or using the File manger to push it onto a network share or USB stick.
Perfect. Thanks! I was poking all around in the file structure and couldn't find it. The special:\\logpath was the ticket.

Anyway - attached is the log file. Many thanks for the help!

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=225975
For some reason it's trying to play mpeg2 with libstagefright, but it should try to use software decoding instead. This is a shot in the dark, as I haven't had to use this setting myself, but see if this helps:

Make a plain text file called advancedsettings.xml with the following content:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <stagefright>
      <usempeg2codec>0</usempeg2codec> <!--  -1 is default, 0 is never used this codec, 1 is always use this codec, bypassing blacklist -->
    </stagefright>
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

place this file in the userdata folder (wiki) on the Nexus 7
Nailed it!! Thanks Ned!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV Playback Issues on Nexus 70