backing up on openelec
Hi I really hope this is the correct place to post this. I want to change from dual boot openelec, to standalone on an asus chromebox. Before I do I want to back up everything on my my kodi and openelec. I see there different ways to do this but I dont know if there is a particular way to do it when using openelec. (openelec is new to me) I have tried to find out by reading other posts and wikis but Im just getting confused.Thank you.
use the backup addon which is available under the official kodi repository it gives you more flexibility. the openelec backup works as well.
(2015-06-22, 19:43)knives of ice Wrote: use the backup addon which is available under the official kodi repository it gives you more flexibility. the openelec backup works as well.

Thanks Knives of ice. I tried the kodi backup, (the one which has the picture of a floppy disk with "backup" written on it). It seemed to work but when it finished it said "could not copy all of the files". I only have on there are some apps and some favourites, no films or photos or anything. Would this back up be ok do you think?
Why didn't you use the provided backup from Openelec ? ... there is a reason for it to be available in situ. Give it a try and see for yourself if it gives you errors too.
If you want to backup the normal things and don't have special scripts or anything modified, then just SSH (wiki) in and copy your .kodi folder to an USB stick.

After that do your fresh install, SSH in again, remove the existing .kodi folder and replace it with the one from the USB stick, then reboot....done

The path to that folder is: /storage/.kodi

Greetings
(2015-06-22, 22:34)Namoi Wrote: Why didn't you use the provided backup from Openelec ? ... there is a reason for it to be available in situ. Give it a try and see for yourself if it gives you errors too.

I have to admit I didn't use it because I couldnt find it, Im new to all this and although I managed to install openelec onto a chromebox it its taking me time to learn everything. So Im having to read lots ,and ask lots of probably dumb questions! I followed a video of how to use open elec backup and put my file on a drive, then the video said go to "storage" I didnt have that option in my root file so I got stuck.
@vicmac:

Are you able to SSH (wiki) into your chromebox?
(2015-06-23, 09:14)David1977 Wrote: @vicmac:

Are you able to SSH (wiki) into your chromebox?

Hi David..... that all looks a bit beyond me, seems Im playing with the big boys and I really dont know how to play! the simpler the better for me
That is more easy than you think :-D
If on windows, grab mobaxterm, install, launch.
Click the session icon, choose ssh, then provide the requested info.
Remost host will be the ip of your box (check system info in kodi), the username will be root, the port 22, when asked the password will be openelec ;-)

Easy
[quote='Namoi' pid='2036632' dateline='1435086539']
That is more easy than you think :-D
If on windows,

I have a chromebox (Asus) which is Linux is it not? so no windows,
Of course. But you will connect to it via another computer on the same network. You have another computer ? You can also do this via your smartphone. Plenty of apps to do so.
@vicmack:

On which PC are you working as you wrote these postings here? Or is it a smartphone? If it is a PC and you are on windows on this machine, then there should be 2 ways of accessing your logfile:

1st way:

Openelec has already samba-shares. That means you could access your openelec via your webbrowser. Read the following:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Access...mba_Shares

It's all explained in here. Step by step!!!!

Browse to the folder: /storage/.kodi/temp/
and look for the file: kodi.log

open the file with a normal texteditor (notepad for example) and copy and paste the content to a pastebin site like: pastebin.com and provide the link after you submit your paste.

2nd way:

Via SSH from another computer which is on the same network as your HTPC:

SSH (wiki) <- read this please to see, how you are able to connect to your chromebox via "Putty"

1. download and install "Putty"
2. open putty, select "SSH", enter the IP from your chromebox end click "open"
3. if the IP adress is correct, you will then be asked if you really want to connect to this PC...answer with "yes"
4. then you will be asked for a username and a password:

username: root
password: openelec

5. if all went fine you should be on a command line now....enter the following to access your logfile:

Code:
pastebinit /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

for checking your network you can use this command:

Code:
ifconfig
Code:
cat /etc/network/interfaces

Not 100% sure, if the /etc/network/ path is correct, as I never used a chromebox, but normally it should.

You can copy and paste the output and put this in a posting here, so we can see, what your settings are.

Read the wikis I linked you to. That's important. You have to learn a bit about how to use your machines. It's not rocket science Wink.
@David1977 and @Naomi Thats great thanks so much for your help. The computer Im on now is an Imac, (I dont have a pc), I also have an Iphone. Totally agree I need to learn more, having help from you guys makes that possible, again thanks so much
if you are on an IMac (since when is an IMac not a PC? What else is it?) you don't need any additional software. Read the SSH (wiki) wiki...I told you already to read carefully Wink. It's in there

on an IMac you are able to open a normal Command shell and enter the following:

Code:
ssh root@openelec_ip_adress_here

openelec_ip_adress_here=the IP address from your OE machine

then enter the password and you should be in.

To exit this session, just type "exit" and you are back on your normal mac-shell

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
backing up on openelec0