how to view HD video in SD
I have to transmit some videos to a DLNA HDMI TV dongle. Dongle doesn't reproduce 1080p videos but only low resolution video otherwise 'Network Error' message appears.
I connect on my pc to DLNA local server with Kodi and then right click on video and Play on.....

How to change the resolution at flight without reencoding (tried one time to reencode with bad results.....)

Thanks
You need to use some kind of UPNP server that supports transcoding. Something like:

http://www.universalmediaserver.com/
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
I use Servioo and I feel very well..... So I've to change?
(2015-10-16, 13:35)frankge973 Wrote: I use Servioo and I feel very well..... So I've to change?

No it looks like Serviio supports on the fly transcoding. You need to set it up in that software I would think. You can't use Kodi to serve the video to your dongle as Kodi doesn't do transcoding at the moment.
Two questions:
1) how to enable on-the-flight transcode and which paramters I have to set on transcode tab of UniversalMediaServer?
2) how to link to online .mp4 videos to be directly stremed passing by Kodi? I've seen only local Folders to share....

BTW: I uninstalled Servioo and installad UMS. But how to configure transcode directly there in order to use Kodi to send to dongle?

Thanks
Kodi doesn't send. Kodi is a media player, on a front end. Your dongle is also a front end. Unless I am completely wrong here (high probability but you didn't state what you have), your dongle needs a player that is capable of producing the video, or you need a backend (like ums) that you use the Dlna connection to play the video as long as your dongle is compatible.

Ums is the old PS3 media server. If I remember correctly, all it needs to do is detect your media device and you can play from said device immediately. There ar transcoding options, but it should play right out da box.
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.
(2015-10-16, 14:23)Redwingsfansfc Wrote: Kodi doesn't send. Kodi is a media player, on a front end. Your dongle is also a front end. Unless I am completely wrong here (high probability but you didn't state what you have), your dongle needs a player that is capable of producing the video, or you need a backend (like ums) that you use the Dlna connection to play the video as long as your dongle is compatible.

Ums is the old PS3 media server. If I remember correctly, all it needs to do is detect your media device and you can play from said device immediately. There ar transcoding options, but it should play right out da box.

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at with the OP. He can't do it with Kodi. I thought his dongle would could access the media server directly.
Yes, my dongle is able to connect to media server directly or better using a push technology , this is the reason because I need some player able to push video ...such as kodi.
The problem is that I have videos encoded in HD but the dongle reproduces only SD so I need a transcoding in-yhe-flight
So, please resume what do I have to do in your opinion....
Kodi does not push video.

Does UMS see your device? If your dongle can connect directly to the server then set UMS to transcode all video.

The best thing to do is ask in the UMS forums.
(2015-10-16, 20:39)Dangelus Wrote: Kodi does not push video.

Does UMS see your device? If your dongle can connect directly to the server then set UMS to transcode all video.

The best thing to do is ask in the UMS forums.

Agreed. Frank, you still haven't given anything helpful, no gear, etc. so at this point your aren't even asking about Kodi, but how to play on your mysterious dongle, with the fancy terms you keep using.

If all your dongle will do is play SD media, then there is no help for you here, but on your dongle forum or a transcoder forum.

The only advice I can give, is to dump you 12 dollar unnamed whositwhatsnappy, and get a proper front end, and get yourself properly sorted with a fresh load of Kodi. Then ask away Nod
I really have no idea what I am talking about. Proceed with caution. I confuse easily. And drink. A lot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to view HD video in SD0