Best smart TVs that runs Kodi smoothly
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to buy a new smart TV, my priority is to get a smart TV which runs Kodi smoothly on it without any crashes or problems. I have seen quite many people who complained from their TVs so I wonder if anyone had a nice experience with his TV to share it here and to advice me.

Thanks

Anthony
(2016-07-01, 03:54)agergis Wrote: Hello Everyone,

I am planning to buy a new smart TV, my priority is to get a smart TV which runs Kodi smoothly on it without any crashes or problems. I have seen quite many people who complained from their TVs so I wonder if anyone had a nice experience with his TV to share it here and to advice me.

Thanks

Anthony
I'm not aware of a smart TV that runs kodi. Most people use streamer boxes to run kodi on, like the fire tv, nvidia shield, appletv, etc.
If you search the forum with TV manufacturer's names I'm sure you'll find some posts.

You would likely be far better off with a regular HDTV and an Nvidia Shield, or an Intel NUC, Chromebox, or laptop/desktop with an HDMI output, or even in this forum an Android TV box... The main Android KODI Developer until very recently is currently working on his own variant of KODI called SPMC and I believe he has the Nvidia Shield as a personal device, so...
Smart tvs that run android will run kodi, but I wouldn't recommend it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-01, 14:44)nickr Wrote: Smart tvs that run android will run kodi, but I wouldn't recommend it.

why wouldn't you recommend it ?
I wouldn't either. I have Sony Bravia 2015 and something is just not right. The playback is not really smooth, you cannot enter 24p mode, HEVC is not hardware decoded. If I were you I'd by some Android BOX (you can find recommended devices on this forum) and spend less money on TV - I can guarantee that you'll be happier with this approach.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229348
(2016-07-01, 15:07)pavel_pl Wrote: I wouldn't either. I have Sony Bravia 2015 and something is just not right. The playback is not really smooth, you cannot enter 24p mode, HEVC is not hardware decoded. If I were you I'd by some Android BOX (you can find recommended devices on this forum) and spend less money on TV - I can guarantee that you'll be happier with this approach.

Does this android box work without monthly fee?

Can you recommend me a certain Android Box please
As said above - the Nvidia Shield seems to be the best there is, and Koying is using that as his preferred platform for SPMC (other Android forks are available, of course).

As for monthly fees, that's between you and your conscience. Since Kodi provides no content, and is free software, there's no reason for anything Kodi-related to charge you. If you have services (e.g. Netflix/Amazon Prime) that charge, or if you want to install add-ons that (legally or otherwise) provide content at a price, that's not a Kodi issue per se.
You want no problems. Well, avoid Android.
(2016-07-01, 23:02)giaur Wrote: You want no problems. Well, avoid Android.

Do you mean to stay away from Android TVs or Android TV box ??
Kodi works best on Linux and Windows. Don't expect too much on Android
All smart tv's have shitty low cost SoC's, even the really expensive Sony Android TV's, it's not something the tv manufacturers bother spending any money on beyond the bare minimum. You're far better off with an external box that will have a decent spec, then when the manufacturer stops support after a year or two meanng no more Android updates, then you can just buy a new box.
Yep, as far as I know, Sony used cheap old Mediatek hardware (exact model is not known), even worse than most noname chinese phones use. Performance is terrible. Most funny that you will get tge same crap even with most expensive models.

Better to buy Nvidia Shield for Android Tv or any other tv box for normal Android
(2016-07-01, 15:03)agergis Wrote:
(2016-07-01, 14:44)nickr Wrote: Smart tvs that run android will run kodi, but I wouldn't recommend it.

why wouldn't you recommend it ?
In my view a tv is a medium term investment, it should last at least 5 years, or more.

Kodi, and the movies you play on it move fast. A kodi box should be disposable after a couple of years, to accommodate new chipsets, new codecs etc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best smart TVs that runs Kodi smoothly0