v17 Cannot Update From 16.1 -> 17.0
(2017-02-03, 22:56)dr_wasinger Wrote: I have a total of 5 FireTV (gen1s) a couple that are rooted and a few that aren't. I have been successful in updating all but one (a non-rooted device). I have always updated via ADB with my mac using the install -r <update file> and have never had any problems. I didn't have any problems with the first 4 but for some reason I can't seem to update the last one. I went as far as removing KODI completely from this unit, attempted to side load a fresh version of 17.0 with no luck (KODI doesn't even appear in the applications menu). I have tried to side load an older version, starting with helix and working up to krypton. I was able to install, helix, isenguard, & jarvis, but not krypton. I finally resorted to deleting everything and starting with a fresh FireTV. I repeated the same process and still have no luck. I'm going out of my mind. I can get 16.1 to load no problem just can't update to 17.0. I have used the same Krypton APK for all the units. I even had a RC version that I tried but was unsuccessful.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I realize I can leave this one in Jarvis but would rather update to have the new skins present in Krypton.

Thanks in advanced!

I can't get my Gen 1 rooted units to take kodi 17, and read somewhere that its because my android version is too old. Not sure what to do. The only thing that will load is 16 and SPMC 16.42
@ap17 - you should probably read the notes on free content (wiki) and also our piracy policy (wiki) just to be clear about what is acceptable here and what we support, given your comment about sports.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-05-29, 09:49)DarrenHill Wrote: @ap17 - you should probably read the notes on free content (wiki) and also our piracy policy (wiki) just to be clear about what is acceptable here and what we support, given your comment about sports.

Absolutely nothing in my comments even hints to illegal sports interception.
Glad to hear it. You're unfortunately something of an exception though for most similar comments we get here and where most sport sources seem to come from.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-02-05, 17:28)Fernand Wrote: Well, it didn't work for me. I removed everything, cache, data and the Kodi app. If I go directly to the Playstore Kodi is not there. If I use a Webbrowser and use the link on the Kodi site to the Playstore I get device is incompatible. I do not completely understand this since the system runs on android 5.1.1. Next step will be trying to install it from a flashdisk. This Q-Box has a Aarch64 and for Video Mali-450 MP. The first suggesting it's 64 bits. Apparently not. During installation the Arm64 crashed, but I got the Krypton nightly ARMv7a 32 bit installed. A quick test show that it can run a movie on my private network, however it seems that the video quality is less, more speckles and artifacts, compared with the Kodi 16.1 that was installed. Maybe settings. Don't have the time investigating this right now

Hello, I have the same problem. I had to unistall Kodi and re-install to upgrade.but now the vídeo quality os worst then Kodi 16. Someone can help to configure Kodi for verter vídeo quality?
Hi im having trouble updating from 16.1 to 17.3 used every possible apk and no luck.
On system info :
- Android TV Box : M9S
- Build 16.1 git:unkown
- Operating system Android 6.0
- Kernel : Linux 3.3 something

if anyone knows how to update this without removing kodi completely then many thanks indeed
Solution to retain existing Kodi data, and remove whatever custom Kodi is blocking new installs:

1) Use the Kodi - Backup Addon found in Kodi Settings > Addons > Install from Repository > Programs > Backup

2) Delete existing custom installed Kodi > Android Settings > Apps > Downloaded Apps > Kodi > Uninstall

3) Download a Legit version of Kodi using a PC / Mac and install using a USB Stick & a Android File Manager App like X-Plore:
(do not download .tar.bz2)
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/old/

4) Using Backup Addon - re-install your existing Kodi data that corresponds to whatever version of Kodi is installed from step (3)

5) Install current version of Kodi using either the Google Playstore or Sideloading, from a USB stick. Current Kodi releases found here:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/

NOTE: Kodi has to migrate data when upgrading from previous versions, that is why a "clean, legit" version of Kodi has to be installed first.

W.

(2017-06-04, 04:56)wrxtasy Wrote: Solution to retain existing Kodi data, and remove whatever custom Kodi is blocking new installs:

1) Use the Kodi - Backup Addon found in Kodi Settings > Addons > Install from Repository > Programs > Backup

2) Delete existing custom installed Kodi > Android Settings > Apps > Downloaded Apps > Kodi > Uninstall

3) Download a Legit version of Kodi using a PC / Mac and install using a USB Stick & a Android File Manager App like X-Plore:
(do not download .tar.bz2)
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/old/

4) Using Backup Addon - re-install your existing Kodi data that corresponds to whatever version of Kodi is installed from step (3)

5) Install current version of Kodi using either the Google Playstore or Sideloading, from a USB stick. Current Kodi releases found here:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/

NOTE: Kodi has to migrate data when upgrading from previous versions, that is why a "clean, legit" version of Kodi has to be installed first.

W.

Cheers, thanks for the info
I have a mini kitty quad core mxq box. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled kodi but it just defaults to 16.1 which then doesn't stream. Have tried to install lollipop and kodi 17 manually and from play store but says my device isn't compatible.
Is there a way round this or do I need a new device?
17 requires Android 5. We cannot help with whether or not you can put Android 5 on your device. Your manufacturer or Google may help.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-09, 01:34)Gillz Wrote: I have a mini kitty quad core mxq box. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled kodi but it just defaults to 16.1 which then doesn't stream. Have tried to install lollipop and kodi 17 manually and from play store but says my device isn't compatible.
Is there a way round this or do I need a new device?
Try installing SPMC from the Playstore for problem streams.

Also try this Kodi Krypton fork (aka version):
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2582708

Ultimately you get much better success by installing LibreELEC Kodi Krypton to a microSDHC and running it from there. Smile

(2017-07-09, 01:57)nickr Wrote: 17 requires Android 5. We cannot help with whether or not you can put Android 5 on your device. Your manufacturer or Google may help.

I tried installing android 5 (lollipop) via Google play as per 0reviois replies on this thread but got the message saying not compatible
Android Lollipop is Firmware - you cannot install it from the Playstore. Upgraded Firmware has to come from the device seller / manufacturer.
We cannot help with Firmware upgrades.

Kodi Krypton is installed from the Playstore - but you have to have Android Lollipop 5.x Firmware first.

I've already given you your options above.

I got an android TV box last years model 5.0, but for some odd reason Google play when I use the app, literally does not even show a kodi app at all, and most of the apps say "for
phones use". when I use the Google play browser the kodi app appears, so when I click on it to install & sign in it says that the kodi app" isn't compatible" with the device. The box was purchased last May & was latest version /model on the box settings all the info it says is all compatible with latest kodi version. Can anyone help? Thanks
(2017-02-04, 17:32)jasonarao Wrote: I am having the same problem with my MXQ android box, I cannot update from 16.1 to 17.0. I also want to be able to update to Krypton, please help with any suggestions.

Thank you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot Update From 16.1 -> 17.00