[Solved] Severe/odd stutter during playback
Posting for Googlers out there as my fu returned nothing useful, but I've figured it out and the answer might surprise some of you.
I have a Zero with Kodi 17.0, running on Arch.
I was always playing locally off of an external disk.

Issue: Some videos played just fine and others did not, specifically those I had used Stax Rip to transcode using Intel QSV LA HRD (Highly suggest this for quality per size arguments). It did not matter what resolution the videos were in or the bit rate, in fact the full bluray rips played better than my little 1GB mobile versions.

Thought it had something to do with H.264 profile selection as the ones that worked were L3.1 instead of High4 but in fact that didn't matter at all.

Resolution: Reference frame counts were too low, it appears the RPi Zero wants at least 3 reference frames but seems to be most at home with 4 (that is what the bluray discs come with standard). I re-encoded and bam it works just fine now. So you're aware, this setting is under the encoder options in Stax (for the Intel H264 encoder) in the "Slice Decision" tab (Encoder options >> Slice Decision).

Its a strange issue and maybe its a setting issue on my end but I'm out of time, its vacation time Smile. Hopefully this is helpful to someone.
Can you provide a sample that doesn't play well?
I'm not aware of any restriction on having too few reference frames.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] Severe/odd stutter during playback0