Playing .XSPF through VLC with Kodi
Hey guys, hoping to find out if this is possible.  So I have a bunch of .XSPF playlist files that I play through VLC.  I like XSPF for the advanced option codes it can read.  I'm wondering if I'm able to have Kodi index .XSPF files named as TV show episodes and then play the output through VLC?  I've added VLC as an external player but Kodi shows the .XSPF files as folders and I don't get the "play using" dialogue when I bring up the context menu on them.  Anything else I can try?
You should be able to do whatever you did with VLC stand-alone, using it as an external player within Kodi. Calling up VLC inside Kodi, puts Kodi to sleep and VLC takes over with it's controls (unsure why you're seeing only folders, might be a VLC issue), on exit VLC hands back control to Kodi which wakes and control is passed back to Kodi. Looking at this example it would appear XSPF files are xml simple text but includes the direct path to the source music, while Kodi does the path work through the library using smart Playlists (wiki). Should be some text editing to make smart playlists for Kodi with the extension .xsp but you would lose the advanced option codes.

Perhaps someone more familiar with music files can offer some better advice.
A quick search turned up Convert xspf to m3u and loads of help pages. An M3U playlist is a popular way to load multiple live IPTV channels through simple client.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing .XSPF through VLC with Kodi0