.mkv Playback
(2021-08-20, 21:29)wagnerch42 Wrote: Other thing with onboard wifi performance on the RPi 3 & 4 is it's gated by the SDIO bus, most reports I have seen have it maxxed at 80Mbps regardless of conditions/connections/distance.  Switching to a USB dongle and disabling on-board wifi I have been able to get up to ~260Mbps on a 5GHz 80Mhz channel (tested via iperf3).  Plus a read-ahead cache on the Kodi side helps through those high bit-rate scenes.

Without a doubt, already said, is ethernet is your best bet, if you can do it then that should be your first choice.  Don't know about RPi3, but most RPi4 users can get 950+Mbps on a gigabit ethernet.
I always try to use ethernet if I can, with the current setup would mean laying the wire across the floor..lol

I could drop a line from above to 2nd Floor Bedroom is where everything is at. Might be a plan. For now I probably do the Hard Drive direct connect.

My next challenge would to figure out why Video format = VC-1 (Oh Brother, Where Art Thou) doesn't smoothly play from anything but the PC. Not sure if I have any other blu-rays that carry the same video format. As I just started with a few movies to test.

Steve
(2021-08-21, 01:16)Crow T. Robot Wrote: I could drop a line from above to 2nd Floor Bedroom is where everything is at. Might be a plan. For now I probably do the Hard Drive direct connect.

Yeah, it's the same boat I am in.  I ended up buying a USB dongle as I mentioned, plus set the read-ahead cache to 500MB:
xml:

<advancedsettings version="1.0">
    <cache>
        <buffermode>1</buffermode>
        <memorysize>524288000</memorysize>
    </cache>
</advancedsettings>

But not all of those USB dongles have good Linux support, I ended up having to build LibreELEC from source and add the driver.  So it can be a hassle.  The read-ahead cache may help, but doubt it with raw BluRay rips, can't imagine what kind of bitrate your pulling over the wireless with that.  The read-ahead cache was generally fine with the built-in wireless for 1080p and lower content.

I have no VC-1 content, and I am using an RPi4.  Most of my content is h.264, and some h.265.
(2021-08-21, 01:16)Crow T. Robot Wrote: My next challenge would to figure out why Video format = VC-1 (Oh Brother, Where Art Thou) doesn't smoothly play from anything but the PC. Not sure if I have any other blu-rays that carry the same video format. As I just started with a few movies to test.

You'll need the VC-1 codec licence to play that on a Pi3.
If you haven't received them then email [email protected].
(check your spam folders first).
(2021-08-21, 16:13)popcornmix Wrote:
(2021-08-21, 01:16)Crow T. Robot Wrote: My next challenge would to figure out why Video format = VC-1 (Oh Brother, Where Art Thou) doesn't smoothly play from anything but the PC. Not sure if I have any other blu-rays that carry the same video format. As I just started with a few movies to test.

You'll need the VC-1 codec licence to play that on a Pi3.
If you haven't received them then email [email protected].
(check your spam folders first).
I mentioned about the codec before..... for info only Angel.

Already done everything on my part....

Thanks for the help and advice !!!
Steve

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.mkv Playback0