Req Randomize subtitles position for OLED burn in prevention
Hello.

I always use subtitles (srt) because I have a hard time hearing speech with background sounds like music or effects.
Subtitles burn in on OLEDs has been proven to still be an issue (see RTINGS very thorough burn in test here https://youtu.be/nOcLasaRCzY?t=406).
Due to their static position subtitles leave a blurred kind of burn in after 7000+ hours. This will likely take me a few years but still, I plan to keep my TV for many years.
I have made the subtitles as transparent as possible to still be readable, and I change the vertical position now and then.

But this got me thinking that it would be pretty neat if this could be done automatically and randomly, for each new line of subtitles, and not only in the vertical position but also horizontally. E.g. that you could specify a pixel maximum you wish for the subtitles to move in each direction, randomly. Or maybe define a rectangular area that the subtitles can move around within. From my experience a horizontal position change wouldn't be a problem because there is almost always quite large margins to the left and right of the subs.
I like this idea (and am also a frequent subtitle user) - basically, similar to the pixel shift that most OLEDs do to prevent burn in around edges etc.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2022-01-09, 08:36)bossanova808 Wrote: I like this idea (and am also a frequent subtitle user) - basically, similar to the pixel shift that most OLEDs do to prevent burn in around edges etc.

Exactly! I think the pixel shift is just too small to cover for subtitles. I have it active though because I sometimes use it as a PC monitor, and also for gaming. But 90% of the time it's watching media with no static elements besides subtitles.
EDIT: you already are doing everything I suggested. I should read everything before replying. Sorry.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Randomize subtitles position for OLED burn in prevention0