I thought I understood "sort order"? Apparently not, please help
Just downloaded fresh kodi about a month ago and then added Aeon Nox: Silvo.

All my movies are in their own folders. I am following the wiki on movie sets and movie set artwork, This is working just fine.
https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_sets
https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_set_information_folder

I then was looking into changing the order of movies displayed in library or in movie sets I read about a tag "sortorder" thinking this is easy enough to follow so I put into "Sort order" tag on each nfo file as "Alien 01", "Alien 02", "Alien 03", etc...but no luck? What am I missing here and how do I do this?

Original order of alien movies released:
Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
Alien 3 (1992)
Alien Resurrection (1997)
Prometheus (2012)
Alien Covenant (2017)

I wanted to change to chronological order (or any crazy order I wanted to):
Prometheus (2012)
Alien Covenant (2017)
Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
Alien 3 (1992)
Alien Resurrection (1997)

Thank you for the help.
I assume you have figured out how to add adjust the Sort Title - Context Menu ► Manage ► Edit Sort Title
Title = The title that is displayed in the movie lists
Sort Title = Controls how and where it is sorted in the movie lists, but still showing the Title.

Once you have added the Alien 01 etc to all the movies in the Alien Collection, all you need to do is change the Sort Order to "Title" in the left sideblade menu

Just be aware that the Sort Title is global, so in your main movie listing, if you are viewing by title order, then you will see Prometheus in the "A"'s next to Alien. Probably best to edit the Title to Alien Prometheus
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
OOOOOooooo, Ok.

So if it were Austin powers movies where normal display is Austin goldmember, Austin international, Austin spy who shagged (because of spelling) if I were to add "austin 01" , "austin 02", "austin 03" in the sort order tag then they would display correctly? Same for Jason borne I assume (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum, and then Jason Bourne) I would need to have them in a set or use "sort order" to make them fall in line.

Really I think the take away is like you said if I use sort order it is global and make sure I have all media scraped/edited correctly? yes?

Thanks for help.
I have done the same as you. I sort my movies in storyline order, not release year. I add the Alien 01 and Bourne 01 sort title also. Here is what it looks like in my movie lists.
You will note that the movies are grouped together in the list but they are slightly out of alphabetical order. Then you will notice that Jason Bourne movie is completely out of order. But for me, that is not an issue at all.

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I thought I understood "sort order"? Apparently not, please help0