Launcher issue - zsnes has no sound
I've been using xbmc-live 9.10 for a while and am in love. After a very interesting and long learning session I got everything working the way I want. I was a total linux newb, and I now feel somewhat comfortable with it.

Recently I decided to try to run emulators (namely, zsnes) from Launcher, which is a very nice application. I've scoured forums via google all day, and have managed to:

-get my xbox 360 wireless controller with usb dongle working perfectly with zsnes
-get zsnes running at 1440x1080 so roms fill the screen vertically at 4:3
-switch focus from xbmc to zsnes

What I can't do is hear anything from zsnes. I've configured zsnes to run with sound enabled and using alsa (I've tried all the others as well), but no dice. I can still hear xbmc in the background, so I'm beginning to think xbmc is somehow blocking the audio from zsnes or locking the sound down in some other fashion.

I'm so close!! Could someone please help? Sorry if I didn't cover everything above. Thanks in advance. Big Grin
fuz10n Wrote:I've been using xbmc-live 9.10 for a while and am in love. After a very interesting and long learning session I got everything working the way I want. I was a total linux newb, and I now feel somewhat comfortable with it.

Recently I decided to try to run emulators (namely, zsnes) from Launcher, which is a very nice application. I've scoured forums via google all day, and have managed to:

-get my xbox 360 wireless controller with usb dongle working perfectly with zsnes
-get zsnes running at 1440x1080 so roms fill the screen vertically at 4:3
-switch focus from xbmc to zsnes

What I can't do is hear anything from zsnes. I've configured zsnes to run with sound enabled and using alsa (I've tried all the others as well), but no dice. I can still hear xbmc in the background, so I'm beginning to think xbmc is somehow blocking the audio from zsnes or locking the sound down in some other fashion.

I'm so close!! Could someone please help? Sorry if I didn't cover everything above. Thanks in advance. Big Grin

spoke too soon. I had previously tried installing libsdl1.2-esd but hadn't rebooted :mad: I rebooted just now for the heck of it, and zsnes audio is working fine.

However...while multichannel and stereo audio (over toslink spdif) still work, now the nav sounds within xbmc no longer work. Could someone point me in the right direction?
Any chance of letting us know how you got zsnes to work on xbmc live and go to it fullscreen?

Thanks
P
Smile 
phearless-d Wrote:Any chance of letting us know how you got zsnes to work on xbmc live and go to it fullscreen?

Thanks
P

I'll start work on a tutorial tomorrow. But hopefully here's some info to point you in the right direction:

I used the Launcher script, installed zsnes using apt-get, then made an entry for it in Launcher. (all of the above is well documented if you don't know how off hand)

Once I did that, I configured zsnes directly in its configuration file at ~/.zsnes

I set the video mode to custom and manually set the 1440x1080 resolution within this file. I also of course enabled sound and set the audio driver to "alsa".

At this point, you should have an entry for zsnes within Launcher, and granted you have r0mz and set the romdir in the launcher entry, it will auto-build a list of them. Launch them, and if you get just a black screen, hit the "\" key on your keyboard. This will switch focus to zsnes away from xbmc.

If you are using a joystick, hook that up, then hit ESC on your keyboard to get to the zsnes settings and set all your buttons.

As for sound, that is a mystery. I have no idea why it worked, but I installed libsdl1.2-esd via apt-get and restarted, and tada there is sound in zsnes but no nav sounds within xbmc, even though music/movies/shows' audio works fine. (.asoundrc is set correctly, btw)

hope this helps. Once I make a tutorial, I'll reply to this thread.
Yeah thats great thanks for that.
I will have to play around with that when i get home tonight.
if i have any problems or anything to add i'll let you know.
Where exactly is the zsnes.conf file.... cant find it it home directory.

Thanks
Please ignore my previous remark. i didnt run zsnes first. my bad
fuz10n Wrote:I'll start work on a tutorial tomorrow. But hopefully here's some info to point you in the right direction:

I used the Launcher script, installed zsnes using apt-get, then made an entry for it in Launcher. (all of the above is well documented if you don't know how off hand)

Once I did that, I configured zsnes directly in its configuration file at ~/.zsnes

I set the video mode to custom and manually set the 1440x1080 resolution within this file. I also of course enabled sound and set the audio driver to "alsa".

At this point, you should have an entry for zsnes within Launcher, and granted you have r0mz and set the romdir in the launcher entry, it will auto-build a list of them. Launch them, and if you get just a black screen, hit the "\" key on your keyboard. This will switch focus to zsnes away from xbmc.

If you are using a joystick, hook that up, then hit ESC on your keyboard to get to the zsnes settings and set all your buttons.

As for sound, that is a mystery. I have no idea why it worked, but I installed libsdl1.2-esd via apt-get and restarted, and tada there is sound in zsnes but no nav sounds within xbmc, even though music/movies/shows' audio works fine. (.asoundrc is set correctly, btw)

hope this helps. Once I make a tutorial, I'll reply to this thread.

Any luck restoring your sounds in XBMC navigation? I think I'll try your method of enabling audio for zsnes because I can't get audio either, but I'm not eager to break xbmc audio feedback.
After installing libsdl1.2-esd I'm getting no sound in the menus of XBMC and still no sound in zsnes - Duff did it work for you? Anyone know how to overwrite libsdl2.1-esd with XBMC's default - by that I mean what is XBMC's default libao?
Silly me, sudo apt-get install libsdl.1.2-alsa (all) fixed the no sounds in XBMC - should haven't tried to change like that.

Of course I'm still no where in regards to getting sound in zSNES. I've tried every sound argument with no results.
I have no sound in Znes or Mednefan
Asound.conf
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!hdmi-remap {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "remap-surround71"
}
}

pcm.!remap-surround71 {
  type route
  slave.pcm "hw:0,3"
  ttable {
    0.0= 1
    1.1= 1
    2.4= 1
    3.5= 1
    4.2= 1
    5.3= 1
    6.6= 1
    7.7= 1
  }
}
.asroundrc located in /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
Code:
defaults.pcm.device 3

xbmc audio settings
Audio Output:HDMI
Audio Output Device:HDMI [I have also tried Default]
Passthrough Device: Custom> plughw:0,3

I have perfectly working audio in xbmc menus, and mp3,movies, and tv shows
working audio: Dobly Digital, DTS, PCM, AAC

not sure why I can't get sound in my emulators.

here are my args for both

Mednefan:
Code:
<emulatorCmd>/usr/games/mednafen -fs 1 -sounddriver sdl "%ROM%"</emulatorCmd>
Zsnes:
Code:
<emulatorCmd>/usr/bin/zsnes -m -s -v 22 -ad sdl -r 6 "%ROM%"</emulatorCmd>

I have not tried this method for fear of fucking up my otherwise perfectly good audio elsewhere.
Code:
sudo apt-get install libsdl.1.2-alsa (all)

running alsa V1.0.23
xbmcFreak-Live install
xbmc version:Built on Aug 30 2010 (SVN:33324) aka Dharma beta1

-=Jason=-

EDIT: GREAT SUCCESS.....

my .asoundrc now looks like this. I added my /etc/asound.conf to the end of it so I get correct AAC channel mapping I hope it doesn't mess things up.

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.!hdmi-remap {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "remap-surround71"
}
}

pcm.!remap-surround71 {
  type route
  slave.pcm "hw:0,3"
  ttable {
    0.0= 1
    1.1= 1
    2.4= 1
    3.5= 1
    4.2= 1
    5.3= 1
    6.6= 1
    7.7= 1
  }
}

this .asoundrc file fixed my Zsnes but Mendafen was still fubar with a google searched I found out that possibly adding -sounddriver OSS to my arg MIGHT work I guess it forces ALSA to use DEFAULT settings or some thing. well I had -sounddriver SDL or some thing before and it didn't work.

so I have working audio every where, only downside is which really isn't even a big deal at all is to get audio to my ZONE2 aka Backyard I have to switch my audio output from Default to Custom plughw:0,0

im really F*ing stoked to have sound working in my emulators I just wish it wasn't like fining a needle in a haystack for each configuration.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launcher issue - zsnes has no sound0