[LINUX] Dharma, FullHD VDPAU, slight stutter
I am having some difficulties identifying the root cause for some dropped frames with XBMC SVN 35648 on Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS (i686) installed from PPA (on a Zotac ION board with an Atom 330 processor). Gfx drivers are nvidia from the xswat ppa.

When playing 1080i content (with no deinterlacing!) in FullHD, 5 to 7 frames are dropped every couple of minutes, leading to a slight stuttering.

I have setup the system to adjust the refresh rate depending on the video, and I have installed the newest nvidia and vdpau drivers from the nvidia-vdpau PPAs.

I have tried the suggestions from this and this thread. Both helped, but still leave me with (only) the slight stutter described above.

The Debug Log does contain a lot, but hardly some information from the time the movie played, and even less information about the view stutters. (I can't find anything showing that frames were dropped...?).

Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong? HD playback was working nicely with XBMC 9.11 under Ubuntu Karmic.
Hi

Where is the source material, if its over a NAS / network stream and you're using SMB I found that caused a slight stutter as described (this was under 9.11) when I switched to NFS the problem was seriously reduced.
Sorry that I forgot to mention that: The source (h264 mpeg) is on the local HD. I'm not even trying streaming HD content over the network - despite NFS.
Are you running a full Ubuntu desktop? I had the the same problem with stutters exactly every 60 second.
It turned out to be the gnome clock applet! Close the applet and the stutters are gone! Big Grin
I had the same problem, i wiped my computer. Installed ubuntu-server and installed xbmc-live from the PPA (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu). No more shuttering and the system reealy is snappy Smile.
tedh Wrote:Are you running a full Ubuntu desktop? I had the the same problem with stutters exactly every 60 second.
It turned out to be the gnome clock applet! Close the applet and the stutters are gone! Big Grin

I removed the clock applet, but with no success... But thanks anyway! I might try booting live from an USB stick, just to see, if it helps.
Just another question: Does anybody know if I could run

Code:
apt-get install xbmc-live

on a system with an existing Ubuntu (Desktop) installation, and then have the live environment in addition to the Gnome environment? Would this also preserve my XBMC setting from the current XBMC installation (where XBMC is launched from Gnome)?

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Dharma, FullHD VDPAU, slight stutter0