• 7(current)
Acer Revo RL70 looks to be a great pre-made system...
(2012-05-26, 07:04)maddog808 Wrote: You forgot to add a keyboard, mouse, and most importantly, W7.

Also, I will be setting mine up for a client with a bunch of 720p Disney cartoons in a waiting room. So, the 500GB HDD is perfect. The SSD would be a waste of money for this purpose. Plus I only paid $250 for my RL70, new in the box. Never touched. FTW!!!

Nod

Hi maddog808,

This is my first post here, where did you find RL70 for $250?
Every site I look is $320+

Thank you,
Im curious if this can play 3d 1080p blu ray mkv's? (not full 3d bluray rips, but the file sizes are around 7-10gb)

Also is there anything that is similar to this but a little cheaper? i would like to be able to play 1080p files and even if it could do passthrough dts/AC3 audio to my receiver would be fine - but having DTS/AC3 is important. I just cant seem to find the right fit for an xbmc box.
(2012-08-09, 02:22)umirza85 Wrote: Im curious if this can play 3d 1080p blu ray mkv's? (not full 3d bluray rips, but the file sizes are around 7-10gb)

Also is there anything that is similar to this but a little cheaper? i would like to be able to play 1080p files and even if it could do passthrough dts/AC3 audio to my receiver would be fine - but having DTS/AC3 is important. I just cant seem to find the right fit for an xbmc box.

Yes, it plays 1080p 3D mkv's, SBS, HSBS etc without problems. Infact my old ION330 does that aswell. So if you need a cheap rig, look for a used ION based box.
(2012-08-07, 00:53)xbmcguest Wrote:
(2012-05-26, 07:04)maddog808 Wrote: You forgot to add a keyboard, mouse, and most importantly, W7.

Also, I will be setting mine up for a client with a bunch of 720p Disney cartoons in a waiting room. So, the 500GB HDD is perfect. The SSD would be a waste of money for this purpose. Plus I only paid $250 for my RL70, new in the box. Never touched. FTW!!!

Nod

Hi maddog808,

This is my first post here, where did you find RL70 for $250?
Every site I look is $320+

Thank you,

Craigslist

My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2012-06-24, 02:45)danbino Wrote: SO,

just wanted to update.

I bought the Revo RL70.

Small form, looks great. I can tell its not the most powerful machine, but it plays everything I have with no problems... I saw some "tearing" in some videos streaming online (but I was using a VPN and watching a video stream from sky player... I live in Oklahoma)

Anyways I am completely satisfied with this as my SAB, Sick Beard, Couch Potato machine (using an external HDD)

I do have some questions for the gurus in the site that have this little machine.

I am trying to customize the little Media Remote that came with it. I cannot find the actual model number to post it, and all the MCE remotes that I see online are not this one (I'm pretty sure is bundled with Acer computers only)
SO, does anyone here know how to customize it so I press the media button and XBMC, Plex or whatever comes up?

Thank you for the time and the pointers so far.

I've got the Linux verson of the Revo, and unfortunately it ships without a remote. Did anyone manage to get the remote working? I'm trying to source the remote on eBay too, so some photos of it would be nice considering by all reports, it seems to lack a part number or model code.

Anyone able to help? Have a feeling I could probably get it working.
(2012-08-26, 10:13)slain Wrote:

just wanted to update.

I bought the Revo RL70.

Small form, looks great. I can tell its not the most powerful machine, but it plays everything I have with no problems... I saw some "tearing" in some videos streaming online (but I was using a VPN and watching a video stream from sky player... I live in Oklahoma)

Anyways I am completely satisfied with this as my SAB, Sick Beard, Couch Potato machine (using an external HDD)

I do have some questions for the gurus in the site that have this little machine.

I am trying to customize the little Media Remote that came with it. I cannot find the actual model number to post it, and all the MCE remotes that I see online are not this one (I'm pretty sure is bundled with Acer computers only)
SO, does anyone here know how to customize it so I press the media button and XBMC, Plex or whatever comes up?

I've got the Linux verson of the Revo, and unfortunately it ships without a remote. Did anyone manage to get the remote working? I'm trying to source the remote on eBay too, so some photos of it would be nice considering by all reports, it seems to lack a part number or model code.

I don't like the remote that ships with the RL70. The range is very poor. I always buy this one for $15 and use it instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224Z...04_s00_i01

Good luck!!

My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
Hello,

I have been running my 4GB revo for a couple of months along with openelec, i didn't think Xbmc would run well within windows but after reading a few posts i thought i would install Win 7 and try it out.

Well i am surprised that it is running just as good as openelec but i can't get HD audio working, if i select Dolby True HD or DTS HD in the audio settings my movies will start playing about 5 fps with no sound, if i de-select these options, they play fine again.

I have tried a few builds of Xbmc and it has not helped.

Can anyone tell me which build of Xbmc they are using and any other options you may be using....i have not changed anything in Ati catalyst centre.

I have just tried Boxee for Windows and that plays HD sound no problem but does not play video at 24hz

Appreciate any help or info.

Cheers.
Thought I'd let everyone know I setup my RL70 successfully with 8GB RAM and a 60GB SSD.

Aeon Nox works well, MQ3 not so much (as I expected). Running the Windows version of xbmc.

Wow...very cool! Great job! Have you had any issues with HD Audio?
(2012-08-31, 14:37)fluidbeats Wrote: Thought I'd let everyone know I setup my RL70 successfully with 8GB RAM and a 60GB SSD.

Aeon Nox works well, MQ3 not so much (as I expected). Running the Windows version of xbmc.

Hi there. I was wondering if you could give me a little more information about the version of XBMC you are running on your box? I too have the RL70, with a 120GB SSD (just the stock 4GB RAM though) and I find browsing the menus with Aeon Nox quite laggy.

I am running win7 with xbmc and all movies etc play fine over the network, but while browsing my movie collection it takes a few seconds for the thumbnails to load. Overall the skin seems smooth if I leave it for 5 mins or so once XBMC has booted.

I tried XBMCbuntu initially but I am new to Linux and lost patience trying to get my WMC remote and pinnacle tv tuner to work.

Do you have any advice? Links to guides for the perfect RL70 PVR install?

Thanks.

(2012-09-02, 13:58)absintheboy Wrote: Hi there. I was wondering if you could give me a little more information about the version of XBMC you are running on your box? I too have the RL70, with a 120GB SSD (just the stock 4GB RAM though) and I find browsing the menus with Aeon Nox quite laggy.

I am running win7 with xbmc and all movies etc play fine over the network, but while browsing my movie collection it takes a few seconds for the thumbnails to load. Overall the skin seems smooth if I leave it for 5 mins or so once XBMC has booted.

I tried XBMCbuntu initially but I am new to Linux and lost patience trying to get my WMC remote and pinnacle tv tuner to work.

Do you have any advice? Links to guides for the perfect RL70 PVR install?

Thanks.

The problem occures when the thumbnail files are too large. A new feature in the upcoming XBMC Frodo is rescaling the thumbnails when they're being cashed, making the user interface much smoother.

I'm also using an RL70 and upgraded to Frodo Alpha to get rid of the lag. Everything runs very smooth in Confluence now, but I haven't tried any other skins.

Hello,
Since Acer revo is out for a while now and given from your experience do you think it could cover a Group #7 needs?
From those options, I do not need to stream content and I do not need bitstream audio. As for 3D, i am happy with SBS....

Regards
Dimitris

[/quote]

The problem occures when the thumbnail files are too large. A new feature in the upcoming XBMC Frodo is rescaling the thumbnails when they're being cashed, making the user interface much smoother.

I'm also using an RL70 and upgraded to Frodo Alpha to get rid of the lag. Everything runs very smooth in Confluence now, but I haven't tried any other skins.

[/quote]

Fantastic, thanks for the info.

I thought about replacing all of my thumbnails for lower quality images to see if that was the issue. This sounds like the alpha might be worth a shot.
(2012-09-03, 02:24)absintheboy Wrote:
Quote:The problem occures when the thumbnail files are too large. A new feature in the upcoming XBMC Frodo is rescaling the thumbnails when they're being cashed, making the user interface much smoother.

I'm also using an RL70 and upgraded to Frodo Alpha to get rid of the lag. Everything runs very smoothly in Confluence now, but I haven't tried any other skins.

Fantastic, thanks for the info.

I thought about replacing all of my thumbnails for lower quality images to see if that was the issue. This sounds like the alpha might be worth a shot.

Just be aware that Frodo will totally recach all your images, since the database now keeps track of the origin and usage of each image. To take full advantage of this new feature you must also add the following to the advancedsettings.xml file:

Code:
<imageres>480</imageres>
<fanartres>720</fanartres>

<fanartres> is the max resolution used for fanart and <imageres> the max resolution used for all the other images.

I encourage you to do some more research in the forum before installing Frodo Alpha.
(2012-08-27, 06:44)maddog808 Wrote:
(2012-08-26, 10:13)slain Wrote:

just wanted to update.

I bought the Revo RL70.

I don't like the remote that ships with the RL70. The range is very poor. I always buy this one for $15 and use it instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00224Z...04_s00_i01

Good luck!!

I agree with you on the remote. It rather stinks. I just got my rl70 and I've been loving it, except for that darn remote. I'm using Windows 7 with event ghost. Has anyone gotten this remote working properly or do people just replace it?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo RL70 looks to be a great pre-made system...3