5.1 Audio works fine for Videos / DVDs, but MP3s wont play. Any ideas?
Sound works great for DVDs, mpegs, etc, and the 5.1 is working, but for some reason when I start to play an MP3 nothing happens.

If I hit TAB to go to the play screen it just shows the MP3 hanging at 0:00. It reads the file fine, but it seems to hang on playback.

Any ideas? :confused2:
So stereo works? Menu sound, movies in stereo?
Are you using analogue audio output or digital (HDMI or S/PDIF) ?
What are the contents of your .asoundrc file, if you have one?
How did you configure your audio hardware in XBMC ?
Yep.. menu sounds work as do movies.

I am using digital audio with spdif passthrough, and what I have working now was setup correctly out of the box.

This is my .asoundrc :

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 1
}

It's weird because when I start an MP3 it's not like I can see it playing, but there's no sound.. it just doesn't seem to start at all. It hangs at 0:00.
If you enable debug logging, does the logfile show anything relevant when you start to play the mp3 file ?
You can also try to play the file with the build-in dvd player, select the mp3 and open up the context menu, now select: Play using.. and select DVDPlayer.

Just to make sure, is sound working ok outside of XBMC ?
hmm.. interesting. It plays just fine with the built in DVD player using the context menu as you suggested.

It seems that PAPlayer is having problems. Any ideas about that? Shouldn't it be using the same settings and codecs and what not?
Could someone post a dump of what files are in system/players/paplayer ?

It looks like the mp3 codec may not be in that directory, which is odd. I'm wondering if the Ubuntu packages don't have the mp3 codec included for some reason?
nevermind.. MADCodec is in there.

Now I'm stumped ;-)
It looks like an issue with ALSA.

I think XBMC is tying up the ALSA Device with it's Front End, so when it attempts to run PAPlayer it doesn't have access to the device since it's busy.

This was in my log:
ERROR: CreateStream - pcm_open, alsa error: Device or resource busy
Did you applied this http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5801 patch because of onboard audio? This one breaks paplayer for me. (dvdplayer runs fine with 5.1 sound)
I had the same problem as you but i got it to work.

Go to your audio hardware page in xbmc, you should have a field with "default" Try change default to the same as the field under it (im at work and i dont remember what it say Huh).

Restart and try, if it don't help you got some other problem than me and can just change it back to default. Hopefully it will help as it did for me.
Any followup? Were you able to fix your problem?
Kodi: Shield Pro 2019
Storage: Synology DS2415+, DS1815+
HT: LG 65C9 OLED, Pioneer VSX-LX503
Speakers: ProAc Super Towers/front, ProAc EBT's/rear, Polk S35/center, SVS PB-2000 Subwoofer
I have this exact same problem.

I have no idea what "default" is - I don't have a default.
Brasil Wrote:I have no idea what "default" is - I don't have a default.

'default' refers to the analogue output of your soundcard.
run aplay -L to see for yourself.

if you want to point 'default' to another output (hdmi/spdif) you can create a .asoundrc file to do so.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 Audio works fine for Videos / DVDs, but MP3s wont play. Any ideas?0