• 11(current)
AEON [ALPHA] (formerly "Xephyr"): Skin Release Thread
djh

Looking really good. Love the new additions. My new default skin.

D
Just finished the now playing icon for movies. Much nicer as a full-size photoshop, but here's a preview.

Ive been trying out each new release and its become very close to becoming my default.

Ill share my thoughts however and hopefully others agree.

The main reasons i dont use this skin are (in no order):

and I'm not sure which of these arent included on purpose or because its a WIP..

- I dont use clips
- fonts are way too small. I cant read anything
- very limited view types (Hard to switch from Vision with wide icons)
- Settings and Shutdown menu too easy to open in my opinion.
- I would love to be able to use Movies in Library and TV Shows in file view. (Not sure if this is possible or whether its already possible, Im about to investigate)

Sorry i am not able to list what I DO like about this skin.. there are too many to list.

Thanks
Nick
I agree with Nick... I cannot read the fonts... which font settings do we change to make the list item fonts larger and the menu fonts (top of the screen) larger?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
These are the 720p fonts you could play around with, iirc:

MAIN MENU SCROLLER

<font>
<name>menufont</name>
<filename>xephyr.ttf</filename>
<size>60</size>
</font>

DIAGNOSTICS WINDOW (RIGHT THUMBSTICK)

<font>
<name>sysinfo</name>
<filename>ocr.ttf</filename>
<size>20</size>
<shadow>FF000000</shadow>
</font>

SETTINGS WINDOWS

<font>
<name>osdsmall</name>
<filename>ocr.ttf</filename>
<size>20</size>
</font>

MEDIA MENUS, VIEWS AND OTHER STUFF

<font>
<name>font13</name>
<size>21</size>
</font>

RSS FEED, # OF ITEMS, SETTINGS MENUS ETC.

<font>
<name>font13s</name>
<shadow>FF000000</shadow>
<size>21</size>
</font>

At some point, I'll consolidate a lot of these fonts, establish a proper naming system for them and trim all the unused ones. Meanwhile, if you guys can come up with satisfactory alternative sizes between you, I'll include them as a settings option.
Nick8888 Wrote:I'm not sure which of these arent included on purpose or because its a WIP..

- I dont use clips

Neither do I, tbh, but I know I will in the future, hence why it's been there from the start. I fully plan on making the Home options customisable, but the way in which the Home visibility works seems to be screwing that up atm. It will happen, though.

Quote:- fonts are way too small. I cant read anything

Read my post above, especially the bit at the end.

Quote:- very limited view types (Hard to switch from Vision with wide icons)

I'm starting to realise that wide icons are going to be a necessity. The view types are still quite preliminary (especially for music), though fortunately they're the next thing on my list, together with File Browser functions.

Quote:- Settings and Shutdown menu too easy to open in my opinion.

That was the idea, though I can see why some people wouldn't like it. If you can come up with a viable alternative within the existing design, I'll give it some thought.

Quote:- I would love to be able to use Movies in Library and TV Shows in file view. (Not sure if this is possible or whether its already possible, Im about to investigate)

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, though the Library views are something I've always neglected. I never use them, hence why it never crosses my mind. I'll shuffle them up the priorities list.[/quote]
Thanks,

My suggestion would be make it so settings opens on black button(not sure if this would work with remote) just something harder to find than pressing up.

To clear up about the tv shows and movie thing, I use movie in library mode and tv in file view. Im currently trying to edit the home.xml to get this going but havent yet.

As for view modes, I personally dont think you can have too many, all people are different in how they set up their thumbnails so its good to have a few of the main ones.

Great skin though mate! keep it up.
Great skin but is there a way to change the default home selection from Music to TV Shows or Movies?

Also what's the best way of making your own background images?
Hitcher Wrote:Great skin but is there a way to change the default home selection from Music to TV Shows or Movies?

I'm actually going to change it to Movies as a default - just haven't got round to it yet. If the changes I've requested get made to the Buttonscroller code, I can do a lot more when it comes to user customisation.

As for background images, just stick to the rule of using 1280x720px images, saved in BMP format.
Good news! I've modularised the Home buttonscroller so it now exists as an entirely separate include, along with however many alternative versions I require. That's a lot of code, however, so I don't want to overdo it.

So what you have now is an option for turning the Clips shortcut on or off, and one which changes the Up shortcut for Settings back into a button, without changing the functionality of Settings itself. You still exit Settings by pushing Down. This is for those users who feel it's too easy to accidentally nudge the Home menu into Settings mode while browsing.
djh_ Wrote:Good news! I've modularised the Home buttonscroller so it now exists as an entirely separate include, along with however many alternative versions I require. That's a lot of code, however, so I don't want to overdo it.

So what you have now is an option for turning the Clips shortcut on or off, and one which changes the Up shortcut for Settings back into a button, without changing the functionality of Settings itself. You still exit Settings by pushing Down. This is for those users who feel it's too easy to accidentally nudge the Home menu into Settings mode while browsing.

Excellent, glad you're making them optional because I don't need Clips but like accessing Settings using Up on the remote (I never use a controller these days as my Xbox is purely used as a media centre).
I'll post *yet another* build tonight. This seems like a big enough change to warrant one.
Very much appreciated djh!
Some things I need help with with regards this build if possible.

I can't make Movies point directly to my Videos folder. When I try to make default it keeps opening at root level. I have Clips and TV Shows showing correctly but Movies won't stick.

When I try to open settings it locks up my box and I have to do a hard reset.

Reflections whilst in Poster mode etc show a black mask. Pic included.

Loving this skin. Keep up the great work djh
JustMeD Wrote:I can't make Movies point directly to my Videos folder. When I try to make default it keeps opening at root level. I have Clips and TV Shows showing correctly but Movies won't stick.

I'll need to look into this. In my sources.xml file, the bookmark with my movies in is set as the default for the whole <videos> section. You might want to try that for now.

Quote:When I try to open settings it locks up my box and I have to do a hard reset.

Ick. I don't think this is a code problem so much as a conflict with an older version. Try deleting the settings in your userdata.xml (or boot the Xbox while holding both thumbsticks). If that fails, all I can advise is a complete reinstall.

Quote:Reflections whilst in Poster mode etc show a black mask. Pic included.

Shit - I knew I'd forgotten something. It's a glitch in the keep aspect settings for that particular view. I'll zap it before posting tonight's update. EDIT: It's fixed now.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AEON [ALPHA] (formerly "Xephyr"): Skin Release Thread24