• 179(current)
New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread)
(2013-02-11, 07:49)SamHill Wrote:
(2013-02-11, 07:42)terencec Wrote: I have a problem with EMM not saving Poster and Fanart images.

In Settings, Movies, Files and Sources, File Naming, I selected the following options:
folder.jpg
fanart.jpg
(This is the folder structure required by Boxee+: https://github.com/boxeehacks/boxeehack/wiki/FAQ)

When I scrape a movie, the poster and fanart images that are found are not saved as folder.jpg and fanart.jpg; they're not saved at all.

If I change the settings to <movie>-poster.jpg and <movie>-fanart.jpg, the images save correctly.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using v1.3.0.9.

I had the same issue, but when you go to Settings ---> Movies ---> Scrapers- Images & Trailers, Under Caching, uncheck "Use Image Cache"

that seemed to work for me.

I will check this.
I "solved" the problem of fanart.jpg and folder.jpg not saving by moving EMM out of Program Files and running from a different folder. Coincidence or not?
(2013-02-11, 10:20)terencec Wrote: I "solved" the problem of fanart.jpg and folder.jpg not saving by moving EMM out of Program Files and running from a different folder. Coincidence or not?

No, I had several problems when I had Ember stored under My Documents or programs.
Ember should be stored in a folder that is not affected by user rights.
Boderick,
why you have moved the files to Release Files? they must be in the project (as I put them) with the status as Copy if Newer.
In this way the files are copied in the right place on compile.
It is the more correct thing to do as in this way the program will work immediately without having to copy manually the files.

I've already made this change 3 times, please revert back to my change.

M

(2013-02-11, 11:42)DanCooper Wrote:
(2013-02-11, 10:20)terencec Wrote: I "solved" the problem of fanart.jpg and folder.jpg not saving by moving EMM out of Program Files and running from a different folder. Coincidence or not?

No, I had several problems when I had Ember stored under My Documents or programs.
Ember should be stored in a folder that is not affected by user rights.

All folders do have user rights Smile

they must be used correctly :O

Ember must be installed under Program Files
the local configuration and files should be under user private data
c:\users\<user id>\AppData\Roaming

If we change this in any way the result will be random as the rights for other folders can change from PC to PC and could lead to a messy situation.

If in doubt there are calls directly in .NET to manage the files under the user private data.

Let me know if we need to look into it.
If you think I'm useful please use the +/- button to raise my reputation
(2013-02-11, 12:25)m.savazzi Wrote: All folders do have user rights Smile

they must be used correctly :O

Ember must be installed under Program Files
the local configuration and files should be under user private data
c:\users\<user id>\AppData\Roaming

If we change this in any way the result will be random as the rights for other folders can change from PC to PC and could lead to a messy situation.

If in doubt there are calls directly in .NET to manage the files under the user private data.

Let me know if we need to look into it.

Outsource settings and other files in the user private data is a very bad idea. Many use Ember on several computer or in the drop box. Swapping (out) would make mobility of Ember impossible.
than the other option is to save them in the <Documents>\Ember Media Manager
sub folder.

We have to use standard Windows folders if we want it to work correctly on all machines and OS versions.

If we use weird folders we will always find non compatible scenarios Sad

I think the correct set is:
Program files - Ember program and plugins
AppData\Roaming\Ember - configuration xml files, temps, cache, etc..
Documents\Ember - the database

This is following Windows dev guidelines and best practices Smile

To allow mobility you only need to move the database.
the program should be installed on all machines and the AppData is recreated by the program via wizard-setup.

We have to keep it clean... now is quite messy... also on a machine there are multiple copies of same files and no one understands which are used
(2013-02-11, 13:33)m.savazzi Wrote: than the other option is to save them in the <Documents>\Ember Media Manager
sub folder.

We have to use standard Windows folders if we want it to work correctly on all machines and OS versions.

the program should be installed on all machines and the AppData is recreated by the program via wizard-setup.

We have to keep it clean... now is quite messy... also on a machine there are multiple copies of same files and no one understands which are used

I know what you mean and want to achieve.
Nevertheless, a very bad idea.

The good thing about Ember is that is simply all in a folder and NOT are files outside of the folder. Ember can be compressed to a USB flash drive on any computer without using the synchronized must be something (if the network drives are mapped to the same). It must not only the database will always be copied, but the Temp folder. In the Temp folder, for example, are all pre-recorded Thumbs for the episodes. It would be too difficult to always get the files from different folders and then save at the right place. Furthermore, it would no longer be possible to use Ember in the dropbox.

For me there is no reason to change that. I really see only disadvantages.
I'm with Dan on this one too.

I understand the Windows dev guidelines, but this is not a corporate program - but rather a hobbyist utility.

I much prefer the way it is - without needing an 'install' - makes it very portable.
Yes, please let it as it is. I use this across multiple machines from my dropbox folder. It would be a pain to change it and have to update each machine every time.
No need for install after all Dan has made Ember really easy by having a Frodo button so it is 1 click set up. I hope Broderick copy that feature into whatever he is working on.
(2013-02-11, 14:31)DanCooper Wrote:
(2013-02-11, 13:33)m.savazzi Wrote: than the other option is to save them in the <Documents>\Ember Media Manager
sub folder.

The good thing about Ember is that is simply all in a folder and NOT are files outside of the folder. Ember can be compressed to a USB flash drive on any computer without using the synchronized must be something (if the network drives are mapped to the same). It must not only the database will always be copied, but the Temp folder. In the Temp folder, for example, are all pre-recorded Thumbs for the episodes. It would be too difficult to always get the files from different folders and then save at the right place. Furthermore, it would no longer be possible to use Ember in the dropbox.

In reality we can do it work both ways.
From setup it will put the files in correct directories. If files are not there it will look for the ones in the same folder (portable).

In any case this is windows Smile not Linux Sad so the portability is achieved via moving and sync'ing the data not the app.

If you already use W8 this should be clear, it automatically sync the data between different computers using skydrive you just have to install the app on the different machines.

I will not go in the discussion on which approach is better Smile (endless and useless discussion) just the fact how the different OS should work.

I have ember on 3 pc and I sync the data only. I installed it on the three pc and copy the DB and advanced settings...

... this is why I know how to do it....

hehehehe
(2013-02-11, 15:35)Randall Lind Wrote: No need for install after all Dan has made Ember really easy by having a Frodo button so it is 1 click set up. I hope Broderick copy that feature into whatever he is working on.

should be in it... he imported my changes trunk Smile
(2013-02-11, 16:28)m.savazzi Wrote:
(2013-02-11, 14:31)DanCooper Wrote:
sub folder.

In reality we can do it work both ways.
From setup it will put the files in correct directories. If files are not there it will look for the ones in the same folder (portable).

In any case this is windows Smile not Linux Sad so the portability is achieved via moving and sync'ing the data not the app.

If you already use W8 this should be clear, it automatically sync the data between different computers using skydrive you just have to install the app on the different machines.

I will not go in the discussion on which approach is better Smile (endless and useless discussion) just the fact how the different OS should work.

I have ember on 3 pc and I sync the data only. I installed it on the three pc and copy the DB and advanced settings...

... this is why I know how to do it....

hehehehe

If you want to make this the function MUST be a manually option (and already selectable in the Wizard). A dynamic query would be fatal. I use 3 different installations of Ember on my PC, one for my movie database, one to test the new releases and one for the neighbors server. If a installtion use automatically the settings of another that would be a disaster.
(2013-02-11, 16:56)DanCooper Wrote: If you want to make this the function MUST be a manually option (and already selectable in the Wizard). A dynamic query would be fatal. I use 3 different installations of Ember on my PC, one for my movie database, one to test the new releases and one for the neighbors server. If a installtion use automatically the settings of another that would be a disaster.

OUCH.

This is a different scenario I've been thinking for long...

We need to have a Open DB or similar.... in other words you can open the Movie, Test, Neighbors and all of them should be in a different file...

Again is bad to have a 1:1 association between app-data. Is not a windows paradigm Sad and is not flexible.

I was thinking for it to create a library for kids and one for me Smile

M
DanCooper: I've found a bug with translations. Or atleast with the norwegian one. If you add a show when in english, then switch to norwegian, the season list will still be "Season ##". If you add a show/season in norwegian mode, it will be added as "Sesong##" (no space between season and number), and it doesn't change if you switch back to english.
  • 179(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Home for Ember Media Manager (Official Thread)26