[LIVE] ATI HDMI = Error audio device not initialized
When you produce choppy audio what does the xbmc.log indicate as far as any errors? Curious about /var/log/messages as well. That is a busy one so while you are producing choppy audio bounce over to another tty and:

Quote:cat /var/log/messages

Currently I am on ATI hardware as well. HD6310. When I bounce back to the menu I see my receiver pop up a 48k pcm indication as soon as navigation sounds start up. On previous hardware I had to make an asound.rc identifying 48k in order to get two channel audio, back when I had an nvidia board.

This is why I though the formatting on the asound.rc would have gotten you going. At this point I think we need to find an error in a log file in order to get a bread crumb or a direction to look in.

When you had navigation sounds set up, what did not happen correctly at that point? Just to check, you are exiting XBMC and starting it up after making configuration changes, yes?
A F'n Roku, cant wait to build a ryzen.
The only thing I noticed that changed when I put audio output to analogue was that the navigation sounds worked. The audio when playing something was still bad. Each time I try something I restart alsa first and test things then restart xbmc and test again.

I can't seem to find the xbmc.log file, its not in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp (I'm not particularly good with finding things in the terminal however) I have the messages log though...http://pastebin.com/hyWaQwZz
I see one thing in the /var/log/messages that may have relevance, aside from a metric butt ton of acpi errors.

ALSA hda_intel.c:712: azx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x000f0001

Not sure what impact that has as I am not a debug expert. I would love to see the xbmc log to see if any alsa mentions are in it. That would validate if the above error is something to look at further. There is a post at the top of all the forum pages here. Its titled something like how to post effectively. That post will show you the location of the log file in XBMC live. A quick google on "alsa" and the contents of that error looks like a long sift session. Lets see that xbmc log file to determine how much sifting we do.
So here's the log http://pastebin.com/qp98KtWH
Looks like there's alot of things going on and I don't know where to start looking...should I possibly reinstall?
Honestly there isn't much in there that makes one raise an eyebrow. If there were random errors all over the place I would say yes. ACPI error stuff can be hard buttons like volume or track advance buttons that are not associated. It may be worse. As there are no alsa mentions in there either so I am at a loss. As video and audio go out the same port on hdmi I would say run it by ATI however one of the reasons linux folk dont like them is because, if you use linux they turn their back on you. How hard is it to live with analog audio?
Maybe too late for you....but on all my Ubuntu installs (10.04 and 10.10) I have started to automatically upgrade Alsa to 1.0.24 as part of the install procedure. I had multiple audio problems, especially with Intel-HDA onboard, until I did this. Now they are mostly solved unless I am trying to do something overly ambitious.

Here's how to upgrade Alsa: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1681577

I have used the script in Temujin's post almost 10 times and it's always ran perfecto. I'd seriously recommend upgrading to the latest Alsa (0.24) b4 yu start any debugging efforts in Alsa or Pulse.

Cheers
T
I use my TV speakers for audio so I really need HDMI to work. I may have some analog cables lying about (3.5mm to RCA) but I'm moving into a fully furnished apartment in Florida and don't know how the setup is going to be. HDMI would be a for sure way to get things setup over there but I do have some crappy desktop speakers I could plug in, the problem is they're quite a step down from TV speakers. This should go with out saying how crappy they are. I will attempt the update from alsa 22 to 24 and hope for some luck. Thanks for the help btw
So I upgraded alsa to 1.0.24.2 using sudo and
Quote:add-apt-repository ppa:team-iquik/alsa
add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
apt-get update

#I got some errors about duplicate ?somethings? It said to run
apt-get update
#so I did and it didn't have any problems then...

apt-get upgrade

and viola alsa 24...but no change in audio
have you tried installing a later ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04/ xbmc , remove pulseaudio. this worked for me
@AthleticTrainer

Bah! 1.0.24 solved both Intel-HDA and Nvidia HDMI on my GTX260. I think I had to get PulseAudio to manually load the Alsa sink which was hw:1,9 on my system to get the HDMI to work though. Have yu ever heard anything out of that HDMI device?

Sounds like I'm only a few months worth of tinkering ahead of you. I think to get the interest of the real experts you should at least post your .asoundrc ; aplay -l ; aplay -L ; and Pulse's default.pa.

Audacious is a good basic audio player with a tonne of output plugins (Alsa and Pulse) that yu can mess abt with to see if yu can get any sound at all. The dropdown menu in the Perferences/Audio/Output section lists every device on your system and gave me an easier and less typo prone troubleshooting method, rather than typing multiple aplay lines into the terminal all the time.

T
@TiberiusT

Sorry it took so long to get back, been busy with life and such...I thought I posted those but files but here they are Image
http://postimage.org/image/8v938l0k/full/
As far as the rest I'm running xbmc live and am not very good with a terminal. So I wouldn't know how to install audacious. I have 1.0.24 installed, I can get menu sounds and some odd sounds when I play video but it isn't understandable. It sounds like a broken record underwater...I posted an audio clip earlier.
craigdabbs Wrote:have you tried installing a later ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04/ xbmc , remove pulseaudio. this worked for me

I have not...I am using xbmc live so I have just been using the Dharma w/ 10.04
Quote:Broken record underwater
sounds technically difficult to achieve - I must try it! At least it means that it does work/is connected.

A long shot, since I don't pretend to be that knowledgeable, but it could well be a sample rate issue. Have yu tried 44100 in .asoundrc ?

T
I have not tried changing the rates much as of yet but I cant play around with it. I won't be able to do much for a month because I am on holiday but will be back at the end of July.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] ATI HDMI = Error audio device not initialized0