xbmc on xbox one
checking in to see if any new thoughts on this. supposedly making apps for x1 is very similar to making apps for win8. not sure how that differs from actual programs.
My thought is keep dreaming, its not going to happen
because of the mkv? xbox 1 will support h264 since it has blu ray. mkv is just a container.

i just think xbmc would be amazing on an xbox one with the kinect gestures, voice recognition, and smart glass via wifi direct. i dont know of any kind of setup like that.
But it doesn't matter if it can play what's in the container if it doesn't recognise the container, like with the ps3. My point was its going to be restrictive with media so you have to use Microsoft's (money making) services - do you really think Microsoft will forgo profits so you can watch your media the way you want? Of course not, they want you to watch media their way. Xbmc would replace a large pillar of the Xbox one functionality - I'm pretty sure this is the reason you won't see xbmc in the apple app store.

Just because they will allow anyone to make content for Xbox one doesn't mean they will allow everything to be published, or access to all the hardware. I went over a friends place once with a USB drive filled with either movies or music and it wouldn't play on his 360 and with Microsoft's ideas about used games I don't expect the situation to get any better, only worse. And even if it was allowed, there will probably be something like cinavia, so you won't even be able to play your personal DVD/bd rips.

Don't get me wrong, xbmc on xbone would be awesome and could rival the original Xbox, but I reckon hell will freeze over before it happens, officially anyway - hacking the console to get it on there is dumb because you'll lose all online functionality.. Only way I see it happening is via the HDMI pass through and a seperate machine for xbmc - which may not be so bad seeing as the xbone has HDMI cec, but I wouldn't be surprised if only certain set top boxes could use this feature.
@teeedubb hey dude if you haven't got anything constructive to say don't bother posting, as anyone can post "its never gonna happen" but it adds nothing to the conversation.

And if you want to argue a point - what about every console being a xbox one dev kit?
That's free reign to do as you please.
Download X-cite_V0.3 - 13th June 2007
Download from Rapidshare
Or
Download from Megaupload
its never gonna happen Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-09-10, 18:03)Martijn Wrote: its never gonna happen Smile

That's not very constructive of you Wink
Its never EVER gonna happen !

At least add something new to the conversation. Haha Big Grin
Download X-cite_V0.3 - 13th June 2007
Download from Rapidshare
Or
Download from Megaupload
Never ever?
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-09-10, 18:02)dfmos Wrote: @teeedubb hey dude if you haven't got anything constructive to say don't bother posting, as anyone can post "its never gonna happen" but it adds nothing to the conversation.

And if you want to argue a point - what about every console being a xbox one dev kit?
That's free reign to do as you please.

Really?!?! The 5 paragraphs I've written explaining why it won't happen not constructive enough? Just because its not what you want to hear doesn't make it un-constructive. Surely its more constructive than telling some one to be constructive and falsely repeating info that has already been said. Probably a case of tl;dr - its obvious you didn't read anything else I wrote.

The poster asked for thoughts on the topic so I gave my thoughts to them.

You're wrong about every console being a dev kit and having free reign - every console CAN be a dev kit - there is a massive difference between the two - just like my Toyota corolla CAN beat a Ferrari around Nuremberg, the only thing holding me back is how much money I want to spend and how many hoops I want to jump through. If you look at previous generations dev kits you'll see that the ms koolaid your drinking smells fishy - they were really expensive (tens of thousands), contained extra hardware, you had to sign NDA's and the big one, they could run un-signed code (think pirated games). Are you really that naive that you think ms will ship their new console and give everyone free reign to play pirated games?
the hardware in retail and dev kit xbox ones is identical. the nda wont matter as the product has been released. its not hard to hack any of the consoles to run unsigned code, but there is a big difference between hacking something and simply booting it up. this is what im waiting for more information on.

ive streamed mkv files on my x360, they were just divx codec instead of the standard h264.

i get that they want you to use their services. but i just dont see them limiting you from streaming your media from your other devices. that would eliminate all personal videos and pictures which i think would be a horrendous move for something claiming to be an all in one device. they are going to claim its the all in one entertainment device, but someone couldnt watch a video of their wedding or kids or vacation or whatever?

you mention the hdmi cec, i dont think it would be hard for someone to create software to mimic a cable box if they decided to limit the cec.

and what about a situation similar to live tv where you run some software on your pc? in that situation you can completely hide what the original file format is. this solution is already available on windows phone.
Raspberry Pi

NUC
(2013-09-25, 19:23)kobenator Wrote: the hardware in retail and dev kit xbox ones is identical. the nda wont matter as the product has been released. its not hard to hack any of the consoles to run unsigned code, but there is a big difference between hacking something and simply booting it up. this is what im waiting for more information on.

NDA's will matter because of the intimate documentation of the machines that comes with a proper dev kit. I can see there being multiple levels of levels of dev kits, eg one for the masses (giving you apps inside a sandbox with limited hardware access) and one for proper developers (complete access). Hacking a console that is designed to always be on and connected is dumb, how long before ms bans you and the console?

Quote:ive streamed mkv files on my x360, they were just divx codec instead of the standard h264.

i get that they want you to use their services. but i just dont see them limiting you from streaming your media from your other devices. that would eliminate all personal videos and pictures which i think would be a horrendous move for something claiming to be an all in one device. they are going to claim its the all in one entertainment device, but someone couldnt watch a video of their wedding or kids or vacation or whatever?

Streaming to a console gets around its file type limitations because they can generally play whats in the container the streaming software just remux's or transcodes the content. Of bigger concern is cinavia. Your personal videos etc are fine, but your legal dvd-rips arent. We all know content providers LOVE drm, you think theres a chance that the content providers that supply and make money off ms wont want this implemented? Or ms touting it to woo the providers? Or that ms will allow you to bypass this when creating applications?

Quote:you mention the hdmi cec, i dont think it would be hard for someone to create software to mimic a cable box if they decided to limit the cec.

and what about a situation similar to live tv where you run some software on your pc? in that situation you can completely hide what the original file format is. this solution is already available on windows phone.

Maybe, but cinavia would still apply I guess. I just dont see it being a rosy free-for-all where ms will give anyone and everyone full access to their new console and let them use it any way they want - I bet theres something like 'supported partners' that will use the cec/hdmi passtrhough.

Dont forget, all this is coming from the company that said vista was a great os.
in regards to your first comment. the x1 retail units are supposed to be the dev kits, at some point in the future. i do think you are correct that there will be tiers, but as far as our topic is concerned im sure the most basic tier dev kit is sufficient. i agree hacking the console is dumb, but my point was that you can already run unsigned code if you want to. ms probably sees this and is thinking sure why not. we are going to disconnect you from any live services and block you from using certain apis so you arent playing pirated games, ie the tiers of dev kits.

x360 streaming uses windows media center, which is a ms product.

i agree it wont be a free for all. but im hoping its going to be less dismal then you predict.
Here is another way to do it:

http://youtu.be/zA-8HrLx3-A

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc on xbox one1