I'll give Linux a chance, but ...
Excellent choice!
biggles Wrote:Excellent choice!

Nod

I hope i'm able to install it with the support of this great forum.

I'll try to install it with this guide.

Regards

Martin
revoman Wrote:I'll try to install it with this guide.

Fantastic choise to stick with Linux. It's fantastic for these things.
That guide IS made for the Revo and ASrock like net tops, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work on any setup using a reasonably modern nVidia card and elsewise decent hardware in general.

If you get to the point where it was supposed to boot directly into XBMC (after adding the exec xbmc --standalone to ~/.xsession) but fails to do so, it's because it lacks a utility library for X. If memory serves me, it's "x11-util" (sudo apt-get install x11-util), but if that fails, google the error that turns up in: ~/.xsession-errors - thats how I found the package that was missing.

You can also choose to be gutsy and use the automatic script for it thats linked at the beginning of the article you refered. I personally didn't because it installs more stuff than is really needed - but I highly doubt that really matters in practise. But it's an art to keep it minimal I suppose.
Hi folks,

i've installed ubuntu without problems now.
I'm using the newest available nvidia drivers.

There are some things during setup that are don't working:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 91E7EE5E 318C7509

It doesn't recieve any keys No

At the end i've done this (as described in this the installation guide)

Test basic installation of XBMC:
sudo apt-get install fluxbox xterm

Then i'm able to do startx and run xbmc manually.

Do i need this fluxbox or there's a better way, like gnome, kde ?
How to install ?

I want to start xbmc automatically.

Next problem: When i'm using the guide form wiki xbmc will be installed with version 20654 ... very old.

How to update to a newer, stable version ?
Maybe there's an updater available ?

How to setup HDMI SOUND (alsa, realtek,...) drivers ?

Next: There are only a few IR commands working (up, down, select). How to setup to the keys i need ? (For Example RED = xbmc INFO)

I need also a action thar shut down the pc when i press the power off button on the mce remote (1. end xbmc, shutdown pc)

Many open points ... maybe someone can send me a (link to) usable installation guide for an actual htpc with a actual graphics card. The installed 20654 is not as good as the xbmc live version (for example: problems with playing iso's).

Thx in advanced

Martin
Hi folks,

is it possible to shutdown xbmc with one infrared command ?

Within eventghost under Windows this was very easy.

Thx in advance

Martin
Hi folks, it works ... ubuntu 9.04, xbmc (newest build), BT Keyboard, MCE Remote all UP and RUNNING Nod

VDPAU is the GREATEST ... forget Windows in this case Big Grin

No stuttering or anything else ... just the movie Nod

Ok Linux from time to time is a nightmare too (for example ... try to install a BT Keyboard without a graphical desktop).
But for xbmc i'm thinking Linux is the 1st choice...

Best Regards

Martin
Quote:Ok Linux from time to time is a nightmare too (for example ... try to install a BT Keyboard without a graphical desktop).
I hear you. I am running a xbmcbuntu setup but I have installed gnome-core and use the gnome desktop for some admin & config tasks.
Yea, the commandline tools for working with Bluetooth aren't exactly great. But I'll be damned if I install a GUI to make it work Tongue
I need the BT Keyboard, and after trying it with command line for several hours i give up and do the setup with the gui... it takes 5 seconds to run Nod

At the moment i've a bigger problem ... after installing the whole system i moved the pc to the living room and connected them to the avr.

I got NO sound via hdmi at the moment Blush

Best Regards

Martin
NO SOUND with BUILD 24153 Blush

I've installed xbmc with xbmscript.
Sound workin ok after installation of the Stable Version.

After installing svn (menuepoint 2) i got no sound via hdmi.

Please help me ...

Regards

Martin
Uffff, i've fixed the problem by myself. Nod

The problem was the alsamixer that doesn't stored it's setting by using alsactl store.

I've found a very good script in a ubuntu forum that does an automatic update of the alsa drivers to 1.20. (I know, there are a newer one 1.21 available).

After running this script, everything is fine now.

xbmc 24153, bt keyboard, mce remote, vdpau.

I'm very happy at the moment Nod

Best Regards

Martin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I'll give Linux a chance, but ...0