• 27(current)
[THREAD CLOSED] Maximinimalism V1.0.6 (Gotham)
(2014-06-09, 11:16)thedeadman Wrote: @Mozillion
I couldn't agree with you more mate, consistency is king when it comes to UI. There are bits of the skin that are a hangover from previous design ideas and they do need squashing now that the overall aesthetic is relatively stable. I'm pretty militant about stuff like that - i'm glad others feel the same way.
Ditto, providing better Indicators for further content has been on my list for a while - i'll bump it up the list.

what is your plan to get consistent highlighting in the UI? I find the lighter text as used in the settings menu and on the left hand side menus to be hard to see, and was going to suggest that inverting the colours would work best, this is done elsewhere in the skin and it is much more visible.
Yeah - this has come up a few times now.

In the settings menu, I'd quite like to keep it the way it is, despite the lack of internal consistency. The main reason is the use of icons. To put a white background on them when focussed is just ugly as f$%k.

Ditto the left menu... I'm keen not to invert it to be honest - hopefully a little contrast adjustment will work. I wonder if it's a monitor colour temperature setting thing? Anyone out there able to compare a Windows setup with a Linux / Mac for example? Are people using darker plasma screens I wonder?

In any case, an earlier post set out where the value for the selected / unselected colour is set. It'd be great if someone could post a set of preferred color settings so I can get a grip on the extent of the problem!
Bitcoin donations: 1Hvo9rWzhAVbuPrshgaGZaD7qcLFTCPuiv
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
I very much appreciate, thedeadman, that you are so forthcoming with you work and transparent with your design principles and decisions. I hope you don't mind that I will give some personal suggestions regarding the design in this post.

Just a small kudos, now over to the issue… I tried to play around with the colour contrast, but it was harder than I thought to get a satisfactory result. Mainly, this is due to this being a monochromatic skin, which only leaves one dimension in which to create contrast. On my monitor, I managed to get the contrast in the settings menu better by lowering the saturation of the "unselected" item.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<colors>
        <color name="black">ff111111</color>
        <color name="selected">fff0f0f0</color>
        <color name="unselected">ff787878</color>
        <color name="disabled">ff515151</color>
        <color name="accented">ffca1a1a1</color> # Is this tri-hex value wrong? "ca1a1a1" has 1 too many characters
</colors>

I do like the use of "[ ]" in the skin of as highlighters, as it bypasses the whole contrast problem. Perhaps this is an idea that should be explored more?

Though, I noticed that the "disabled" colour is contrasted with both the "black" and the "selected" colours depending on the menu one is accessing. If the "disabled" value is set to a high value, e.g. '<color name="disabled">ffa1a1a1</color>, it is clear in some of the menus using "black" as the default for the font that an item is disabled.

Image #1

However, in the inverted menus where "selected" is used as an default, there is very little contrast between items. The image below actually looks a lot better on my computer screen than what it does on my LCD-TV. On my TV it is almost impossible to destinguish the disabled items from the rest.

Image #2

I would suggest, if it is possible, to replace the "disabled" colour with two new colour items. One which is darkish and used when the default typeface colour is light, and one which is lightish and used when the colour is dark.

And one last thing: I have also noticed that there is a mix of rounded curves and square angels used throughout the skin. Have you considered to just use one type? I do like the square angles the best, but I realise many would probably disagree with me on this matter.
Thanks Solbero, i'll give all of this some thought.

A couple of points:
- the [ ] highlighting (or something similar) is something I might revisit for the video / music menus. An earlier version did use it. Maybe i'll include it in the next update and see what people make of it.

- Tweaking colours / distinction for disabled and unselected items is definitely required. I'll try some stuff out and see what I can do to improve this.

On the mix of rounded / square edges... It's a question of taste of course. The skin is obviously very stark, so I feel that adding a bit of curvature helps soften it a little (I also like the rounded thumbnails to add that little splash of colour). It's a difficult thing to get right though, and I'm in two minds about its effectiveness on the settings menus.. This is what comes of designing an interface as you go and experimenting :-)

[Oh, and that colour hex is wrong - thanks!]
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
V1.0.4 now available on GIT master, repo to follow

[CHANGELOG]

- [MODIFIED] TV show view now show unwatched episode count. Season view 0 episode count bug fixed (thanks Neroes, Mozillion)
- [NEW] Skin option to hide search (thanks Leefur)
- [NEW] Programs option added to homescreen (thanks Destaroyah)
- [NEW] Polish language support (thanks Jackalski)
- [NEW] Peripheral support (thanks Neroes)
- [FIXED] Logoff user (thanks CharredChar)
- [MODIFIED] Song info and ratings (thanks paulvt)
- [MODIFIED] String change 'all addons' -> 'add-ons' (thanks solbero)
- [NEW] Artwork downloader support (thanks gizmotoy)
- [FIXED] UI freeze on Library updates: added cancel ability 'click ok to cancel' (thanks gizmotoy, Mozillion)
- [MODIFIED] Recent videos / tvshows increased to 10 per category (thanks Leefur)
- [MODIFIED] Contrast for selected / unselected increased slightly (thanks Leefur, Sp@ce_Boy)
- [FIXED] Scrolling on weather labels (thanks PaulVT)
- [NEW] Buffering label added to progress bar (thanks CharredChar)
- [MODIFIED] Notifications are suppressed if a video is playing (thanks PaulVT)
- [FIXED] Some lists not wrapping properly (thanks PaulVT)
- [MODIFIED] Shutdown menu simplified
- [NEW] PVR recordings now indicate unwatched / unfinished content (thanks tnfenster)
- [MODIFIED] Page scrollbar appearance revised (thanks Solbero)
- [FIXED] Advanced launcher should now work (thanks Solbero)
- [MODIFIED] Subtitle offset function autohides audio settings menu (thanks @Marsup)
- [NEW] Subtitle handling improved and brought in line with recent changes in the Confluence skin
- [MODIFIED] Weather icon font changed and values adjusted (thanks PaulVT)
- [MODIFIED] Extra highlighting on menu items (thanks Solbero)
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
@thedeadman, awesome! I was already wondering when you'd release it.. there we so many changes already Smile

(2014-06-13, 11:29)thedeadman Wrote: - the [ ] highlighting (or something similar) is something I might revisit for the video / music menus. An earlier version did use it. Maybe i'll include it in the next update and see what people make of it.

Ok, I see this has landed in stating and also in the 1.0.4 release. One comment: I happen to have added an addon to the videos menu but apparently it is long enough so that the right ] is cut off. This looks weird.
It does start scrolling after a while, which you may or may not want for menu items, but maybe ellipsizing is better? I have no idea, just putting it out there.

Another thing about selection.. I might have an idea there. You mentioned that inverting the icon is a lot of work, but when I was browsing through the settings and jumped into the Add-ons settings. Why not do selection in Settings the same as in Add-ons: use the rounded white bar, invert the text and just leave the icon in the grey circle as is (the same as in Add-ons).
It would also make the flow more consistent from Home > Settings > Addons for example ... i.e.: selected is white rounded bar with black text.
(2014-06-15, 18:28)thedeadman Wrote: V1.0.4 now available on GIT master, repo to follow

@thedeadman - Excellent! Looking forward to seeing the update (via the repo, on Ouya, and btw I'm on a lovely plasma – you asked about that at one point).
Quote:One comment: I happen to have added an addon to the videos menu but apparently it is long enough so that the right ] is cut off. This looks weird.
It does start scrolling after a while, which you may or may not want for menu items

Typical. Just noticed that myself. Will fix this up.

WRT the settings screen,. i'm minded to keep it as it is now to be honest. As there is two lines of text, using the rounded white bar-style just doesn't work very well I feel.
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
Hi guys,

Does anyone know a way to refresh metadata (chose a different Title/Year) with this skin? It is very likely that I am just missing something silly..
picaresqu3: On a given title, hit 'i' or whatever 'info' is mapped to on your remote. 'Change title' is in there.
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
Yes, I was just about to say... refreshing metadata is done via Change title... this actually confused be as I didn't want to change the title, but I wanted it to update the synopsis and available art Tongue
I have issues when trying to access to music library. It just sais that empty library with spinning rings. It stays there until back button is pressed. I cannot either use any music addons as it first goes to music library and gets stuck there. Just installed latest version but same problem happens.
Hello deadman, it seems the write-ups in the album and artist info screens do not scroll.
Hello, i can't find, how to change list view of videos & music.
(2014-06-19, 20:56)vikeis Wrote: Hello, i can't find, how to change list view of videos & music.

As per explicit design, there are no different views.
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[THREAD CLOSED] Maximinimalism V1.0.6 (Gotham)20