NT-A3500 Build (E-350)
Just to be clear, are you all saying that a MKV made from a blu-ray (remuxing with MakeMKV, NOT re-encoding with handbrake) would play without stutter?
I can't resist this for $125. Not seeing a better deal out there. I need two systems. Ill try this one and if it's good I'll buy a second one. Otherwise ill build an A6 pack
(2012-06-30, 06:51)DesertRain Wrote: Just to be clear, are you all saying that a MKV made from a blu-ray (remuxing with MakeMKV, NOT re-encoding with handbrake) would play without stutter?

Yes, the E-350 absolutely will play a remuxed Blu-Ray h.264 stream without issue.

I even play 2K h.264 on an E-350 (3k and 4K...Not so successful, but I couldn't get that to work on a Radeon HD 6850 either. >_>)

You can actually play all forms of High Profile Level 4.1 h.264 or below video without issue on an E-350. The 'High 10' Profile, which uses 10bit video however, can't be decoded and the CPU isn't fast enough for 1080p decoding. This would likely only be a major concern if you're into anime however.
looks like the price has gone up to 179$
You can build a MUCH better system for the same or not much more in cost.
(2012-07-01, 20:36)assassin Wrote: You can build a MUCH better system for the same or not much more in cost.

OK, Talk to me....What system are you talking about? What are the specs and most importantly, what is the power consumption of your competetive set-up. I don't know what the situation is in your country but overhere electricity is becoming more expensive by the day. I take that into account when buying my hardware.

The A3500 is supposed to fill my needs at a meager 20 Watts of consumption. At a typical use of 3 hours per day throughout the year that would set me back a whoppin 6 euro's. I would not think lightly of that.

Greetz,

_J@n_
MiBox running KODI app (latest)
Synology DS215+ - 8+6 TB | Synology DS211 - 4+4 TB - No RAID | Homebrew server Ubuntu server - 10 TB - LVM | Ubuntu Server 18.04.01 -10 TB - RAID5
Philips 50PFK5300 | Sony HT-XT100 Soundplate
Scanning my media with MediaElch
(2012-07-03, 20:50)_J@n_ Wrote:
(2012-07-01, 20:36)assassin Wrote: You can build a MUCH better system for the same or not much more in cost.

OK, Talk to me....What system are you talking about? What are the specs and most importantly, what is the power consumption of your competetive set-up. I don't know what the situation is in your country but overhere electricity is becoming more expensive by the day. I take that into account when buying my hardware.

The A3500 is supposed to fill my needs at a meager 20 Watts of consumption. At a typical use of 3 hours per day throughout the year that would set me back a whoppin 6 euro's. I would not think lightly of that.

Greetz,

_J@n_

Sure, I will talk to you.

Here are a few of my systems and how much wattage they are using:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364084/htpc-k...t_21025171
Cool! I like your setup Smile

But I wonder how much it set you back. I got my A3500 + 4 GB Kingston memory for under 200 euro and as I can see in the pictures it even uses less power.

No hard feelinmgs though! I was just interested in a system that could "match" a A3500 in power/TCO

Greetz,

_J@n_
MiBox running KODI app (latest)
Synology DS215+ - 8+6 TB | Synology DS211 - 4+4 TB - No RAID | Homebrew server Ubuntu server - 10 TB - LVM | Ubuntu Server 18.04.01 -10 TB - RAID5
Philips 50PFK5300 | Sony HT-XT100 Soundplate
Scanning my media with MediaElch

Yea. you can build much better system with the similar cost in spec wise. I mean my unraid machine cost $100 and it is much better than this system.

but i think when it comes to the size and the power consumption, nothing can really beat this machine while it's on sale for $130 - $150. I really wouldn't get it if it was anything more than that though
That was a steal when it was at $139.00....
Hi,

Just bought a NT-A3500 with 4Gb RAM. Running Openelec with AEON MQ3 from 4Gb SD card. No HD installed. And a Rapoo wireless keyboard.
I'm all new to Openelec (XBMC) and htpc's and learning all from forum's and wiki's. Just joined this forum.

I'm running fusion beta 5 and customized MQ3 with extra menu items for the kids, not possible in standard Confluence. All up and running (incl. digital 5.1 audio).

First observations:
- Great mediacenter coming from an AC Ryan due to openelec and possible add-ons.
- Bit noisy. Fan goes on quickly.
- Switching between menu items and activating menu items is rather slow. Is AEON MQ3 to heavy for the NT-A3500?
- Main menu backgrounds are lagging. I added backgrounds (approx. 600Kb - 1Mb jpeg's on the SD card) to my customized menu's and it takes 5 seconds for them to load so I don't see them because I'm moving quicker through the menu. Do I need an Extreme SD card for quicker reading of the images and/or make the images smaller?
- And most important: I see wrinkles when playing movies or tv shows (dvd5 and dvd9 iso's), not all the time but with change in scenes it happens a lot and it rather annoying (my AC Ryan runs all movies smooth). No interruptions in audio or video, just wrinkles (I hope this is the correct English word, I'm Dutch). Does anyone has the same issue? Do I need to upgrade drivers of the foxconn (firmware)? I have already activated DXVA2 in the video settings but no change.

Please your comments on my observations.

Thank you
I've been thinking about grabbing one now that Newegg is doing another deal with a free 64Gig SSD. Thoughts on that being a decent enough deal? Also, what's the difference between the white and black models? It appears as if it's a minor ram speed support and possibly usb ports?

Mainly, I'm wanting to eventually have this setup as a frontend for pvr functionality as well. I'm considering how a backend tvheadend would work. Any thoughts / recommendations on this? And does the E-350 have enough power for PVR -- recording would actually happen back on the server/NAS assuming that's possible.

Thanks!
1 Honestly, i don't think it would be powerful enough to do that stuff.

I would recommend it just for video playbacks.
Ugh, that's exactly the impression I was getting when I stumbled onto this thread. Right now I have a G530 with a mini-itx mobo as my main htpc (windows 8 & xbmc) and that's been good, but even in a small case it's big for mounting behind a flat screen in the bedroom.

I still need to get my setup going for recording tv onto a nas (or something) too anyway... We have Dish and it's really only around $52/mo. but it'd be nice to cut the cord completely. Any more thoughts and input on this stuff would be really appreciated as well of course!

Anyway, I really like the form-factor of the NT-A3500. That on the NT-A3700 seem to be the only things anywhere close to an Apple TV or some of the other media server boxes... Smile Just need something that can do more in the same small package.

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply anyway though!
I bought Foxconn nt-A3700 and unfortunately I'm not happy with the temperature values of CPU and GPU ! But the box does the job well

CPU & GPU is 50C with idle and 70 C with load.

I made a stress test for 2 hours and max temp was 75C !

Does anyone know about the upper and lower limits of operating temperatures provided by Foxconn?

I can spend money on a better cooling unit if there is any available also..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NT-A3500 Build (E-350)0