• 3(current)
Xbox Media Center, The new (ad)venture
- no matroska container support
- no windows dll support (wmv9 / wma9,realmedia)
- no shoutcast
- no screensaver
- no music visualisations
- no ftp server
- no webserver

yet
frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
thanks for the info, sometimes its better have things stated the opposite way.. i don't want to know what i can't eat, i want to know what i can eat... i guess i'm just wired backwards.. hehe

it was a big help though, i use mediaplayer as my os, so having no ftp is kind of a big deal..

thanks again

the jaff
remember that xbox media center is still in early alpha stage and contains much experimental code so it will be very buggy.
it's not meant for normal users yet, but for more other devs + advanced testers to help us add to & troubleshoot the code.

i recommend normal day-to-day users still with xbmp at least until after a bug bash & a point release has been set in xbmp.
please do not ask when this will happen or when it will be set. in the meantime you can follow the progress in these forums.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Big Grin 
well i have both xbmp 2.4 and the oct 8th release of xbmc running on my box and i have a few problems with the xbmc first i know that it doesn't fully support .rm files but xbmp would give me video no sound playing files using some of their codecs the others it simpily wouldn't open at all. xbmc will give me both video and sound for those same files but the ones the other player wouldn't play this one tries to open and completely locks up forcing me to power off the console Angry also where did all the options go for example changing the volume and or the audio sync
please do remember that xbmc is alpha software. it is going to contain bugs and it will be missing some features.

as time goes on, there will be less bugs and more features.

but, until then, xbmc is alpha and will contain bugs and lack features.

take care,

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Information 
thank you for this great program!!!!!     :d
man thanks for a great software... i guess i just like this much more than xbmp coz i can play quicktime files with it (watching the jade empire trailer right now) now if only i could play real madia files.... hehehehehehe

keep up the good work guys
yeah dude, xbmc is completely rewritten. if you just look at the files and features you can tell how much cleaner the code must be. xbmp was just more one way if you know what i mean. xbmc has sooo many more options to do such as button mapping and plugins. it also has a file browser which is nice and even a built in ftp server. xbmc is semi-functional and will continue to be until it is in a final release.
(polishkid @ nov. 03 2003,06:38 Wrote:... xbmc has sooo many more options to do such as button mapping and plugins. it also has a file browser which is nice and even a built in ftp server. ...
to be correct, there is no ftp server in xbmc atm. Smile
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
what an awsome job.
admire//

i wonder whether it makes sense to make xbmc simple and solid. it might not be necessary to have xbmc to support tv guide, cdda and dvd playback .
i asked this question when the first xbmc was released and found the answer insightful, hopefully other people will also benefit from the question being posed in this way..

how does the current state of xbmc compare to the current state of xbmp?

what features are still missing? how close is it to being a worthy replacement? etc.. any info that can be provided along these lines would be appreciated..

i am not in a rush or anything, i just think its a good indication of how things are progressing. thanks a lot, and keep up the fantastic work.

the jaff
why do you want to compare a product to its successor, which is under heavy development?

this should say everything imho.
best reply is still this:
use both, test them for a while, and stick to the one that suits your needs.

xbmc is currently under development, and getting better than xbmp, but some people like the feel of the old player (full osd, control panel, etc)

try both, stick to the one you like the best.
i got a mate to convert to xbmc from xbmp today, the version of xbmp he had must be about a year old, and was installed when i chipped his xbox, do you think he will notice any difference :d
well my reason for asking is simple.. last time i asked i was told that it was a ways off before xbmc would function at the level that xbmp was at.. ftp had not yet been implemented, etc.. at that point it basically non functional, and not something you could replace xbmp with.. that is basically what i was wondering.. is it to the point where the functionality of xbmp has been reached?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox Media Center, The new (ad)venture0