• 3(current)
Sony Android TV Passthrough not working for anything
yes, just like every other TV out there. You need propper HDMI out for that and not ARC.
Or eARC in the future.
Quote:It is not possible as the TV has limitatons?
The limitation is S/PDIF and HDMI-ARC. HDMI 2.1/eARC will take care of this limitation...
(2017-06-02, 04:27)kickinthethroat Wrote: Thanks all, I ended up installing the shitty build from 5/25, and all works now... However I now hear a low hum when nothing is playing. Oh well...

Hi Kick... I'm in the same situation with my Bravia KD-43XE8096 updated yesterday to Android Nougat 7.0
Could you recap me which is the right Kodi test version to use and correct options on audio section to be set?!??!

Many thanks in advance for any help! Wink
Philips user here, but I take it we're all in the same boat.

How the hell do you guys get the shitty version to work?
I always get horrible max volume static when I play DTS/AC3 file in KODI SHITTY/SPMC.

Tried every options out there (RAW/IEC/CHANNEL NUMBERS etc.).

What's interesting is that even if I turn off my amp, the TV itself starts with the noise.
Is there some sound control/volume manipulation going on a file playback startup with KODI that disrupts the bitstream that I need to turn off?

I am desperate for proper DTS with KODI.
I have the same issue with multichannel audio after update. This is really bad what is going on with the sony firmware...
For the future i see only the option to use the sony player for video playback. There are not only audio issues using 3rd party video apps but also some video issue, see Link
I like Kodi very much and would like to use it. As workaround solution for video playback it would be great to pass SMB files to the sony video player as described here: Link
Sony KD-65XF9005 ATV 2018 SonyFW [actual crappy / buggy version] - Sony STR-DN1070 - NVIDIA SHIELD TV [2017]
(2017-06-06, 10:50)Jinx1337 Wrote: Philips user here, but I take it we're all in the same boat.

How the hell do you guys get the shitty version to work?
I always get horrible max volume static when I play DTS/AC3 file in KODI SHITTY/SPMC.

Tried every options out there (RAW/IEC/CHANNEL NUMBERS etc.).

What's interesting is that even if I turn off my amp, the TV itself starts with the noise.
Is there some sound control/volume manipulation going on a file playback startup with KODI that disrupts the bitstream that I need to turn off?

I am desperate for proper DTS with KODI.
well, that's why it is SHITTY. On some TV's it mostly doesn't work. On some it works better (more reliable) than on the others.
Just quick report that SHITTY passthrough works fine on my Sony KD-55XD8005 -> optical -> Onkyo TX-SR605 even with the latest shitty build as of today and the latest Sony firmware based on Android 7 Nougat. In other words it works the same as with previous Sony Android 6 Marshmallow and older shitty v17.0.

I didn't even bother to try non-shitty version as I read on Sony forums that Mediatek bugs were not fixed in Nougat, but I'm glad my shitty solution wasn't broken with the latest Kodi build and latest Sony Android.
On my Sony Android TV I always have to play some AC3 sample via some other (stock) app before I get PCM hack to work. Only noise otherwise.
(2017-06-06, 14:36)oo.viper.oo Wrote: Just quick report that SHITTY passthrough works fine on my Sony KD-55XD8005 -> optical -> Onkyo TX-SR605 even with the latest shitty build as of today and the latest Sony firmware based on Android 7 Nougat. In other words it works the same as with previous Sony Android 6 Marshmallow and older shitty v17.0.

I didn't even bother to try non-shitty version as I read on Sony forums that Mediatek bugs were not fixed in Nougat, but I'm glad my shitty solution wasn't broken with the latest Kodi build and latest Sony Android.

Hi oo.viper.oo,
What settings do you use for the shitty version, I guess the version is 2505? I'm with KD-XE498077 and after update to 7.0, even the old hack with always transcode to AC3 < 640 kbps does not work. Of course the build in app, and apps like Netflix work as expected. Passthrough to TV (HDMI) and then from TV to receiver (S/PDIF) works perfect though - any format, DD, DTS, AC3 640 kbps, anything Smile Sound coming from an app on the TV - now this is the problem.
(2017-06-06, 15:44)lucius Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 14:36)oo.viper.oo Wrote: Just quick report that SHITTY passthrough works fine on my Sony KD-55XD8005 -> optical -> Onkyo TX-SR605 even with the latest shitty build as of today and the latest Sony firmware based on Android 7 Nougat. In other words it works the same as with previous Sony Android 6 Marshmallow and older shitty v17.0.

Hi oo.viper.oo,
What settings do you use for the shitty version, I guess the version is 2505? I'm with KD-XE498077 and after update to 7.0, even the old hack with always transcode to AC3 < 640 kbps does not work. Of course the build in app, and apps like Netflix work as expected. Passthrough to TV (HDMI) and then from TV to receiver (S/PDIF) works perfect though - any format, DD, DTS, AC3 640 kbps, anything Smile Sound coming from an app on the TV - now this is the problem.

Ok,

Kodi version used: kodi-20170525-b2b9d8b-shitty-armeabi-v7a.apk
SONY version used: Android 7.0 BRAVIA_ATV2_EU-user 7.0 NRD91N.S36 1.6.0.26.02.1.00
-------------------------------------------
Kodi System/Audio settings (loosely translated from my language to English):

Number of channels: 2
Configuration of output: best match
Remaining settings not relevant, or so I think

Enable passthrough: yes
Receiver compatible with Dolby Digital: yes
- enable transcoding to Dolby Digital: yes
Receiver compatible with Dolby Digital Plus: no
Receiver compatible with DTS: yes
Receiver compatible with ... all other stuff: no (well, it is compatible, but this stuff can't be passed through optical)

Enable DSP processing: no
SONY TV Audio settings:

Output: audio system
Preference of audio system: yes
Headphones output/audio output: audio output (fixed)
Output for headphones or speaker: enabled (this option is greyed out)
Home theater control - not relevant
System sounds: disabled
Digital audio output: Auto 1
TV position: stand - don't think it's relevant

With above, I get:

DD is passed through as DD
DTS is passed through as DTS
AAC is transcoded to DD
Thank you oo.viper.oo! Btw from plex's forum I see people with Sony and Android 7.0 updated already, confirming that passthrough is working great via HDMI ARC. If so, then the problem is only when using S/PDIF.
@lucius, issue also occurs using HDMI ARC on nougat and kodi. My AVR is connected via HDMI.
Sony KD-65XF9005 ATV 2018 SonyFW [actual crappy / buggy version] - Sony STR-DN1070 - NVIDIA SHIELD TV [2017]
Quote:Thank you oo.viper.oo! Btw from plex's forum I see people with Sony and Android 7.0 updated already, confirming that passthrough is working great via HDMI ARC. If so, then the problem is only when using S/PDIF.
ARC and S/PDIF is exactly the same. Plex most probably uses the RAW API, not the new IEC API. The whole thing is quite a mess, depending on what the app actually uses... RAW, PCM Hack or IEC API.

Future Kodi versions will query whether IEC API is possible and will otherwise revert to RAW, where at least AC3 is working. PCM Hack (shitty builds) is more of a gamble and can be dangerous, but if it works, you also get DTS.
(2017-06-06, 16:41)lucius Wrote: Thank you oo.viper.oo! Btw from plex's forum I see people with Sony and Android 7.0 updated already, confirming that passthrough is working great via HDMI ARC. If so, then the problem is only when using S/PDIF.

There's little "Thank User" button below the comment... Big Grin
(2017-06-06, 16:59)CiNcH Wrote: Future Kodi versions will query whether IEC API is possible and will otherwise revert to RAW, where at least AC3 is working. PCM Hack (shitty builds) is more of a gamble and can be dangerous, but if it works, you also get DTS.

Dare I ask...what about DD+? I believe this requires using 192khz, versus 48khz for DD/DTS. ARC only.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Android TV Passthrough not working for anything0