Android Kodi DTS passthrough on Sony android TV
(2019-08-29, 13:42)neogeo87 Wrote:
(2019-08-25, 16:37)Willysan Wrote:
(2019-08-24, 08:09)CiNcH Wrote: My X900F and audio system only support ARC/DTS. Still the X900F pretends to support DTS-HD via ENCODING_DTS_HD. It is supposed to work as such that the DTS compatible core is extracted for passthrough. Sound however cuts out after several seconds of playback. This is why I have to disable DTS-HD. Now Kodi performs the extraction and outputs DTS-HD as DTS via ENCODING_DTS.

DTS-HD might work for newer models with eARC. Maybe you are able to give some feedback?

Thx for sharing!

My Sony A9F OLED doesn’t seem willing to passthrough any DTS-HD signal to my Denon X8500H via eARC with Kodi 18.3. I gave up and placed an order to buy a Nvidia Shield today at the end. 😜 
Hello,

same thing for me with my AF9 TV but also for DTS signal that is sent in passthrough mode to a Yamaha RX-A2080 via eARC. I can hear sound but output is in a 2.1 signal. Seems to be transcoded by the Yamaha.

I was over on the RTINGS website this morning and there is a note saying if you disable “System Sounds” in Android settings, 5.1 DTS audio then started working, output via ARC.

(2020-02-19, 03:51)wrxtasy Wrote: I was over on the RTINGS website this morning and there is a note saying if you disable “System Sounds” in Android settings, 5.1 DTS audio then started working, output via ARC. 

I have had "System Sounds" off from day one and have had issues with DTS continuously. So this solution fails in my case Sad .

No sure my issues are the same as most people though. DTS passthrough "kinda" works, i.e. I do get the audio out, but I get a variety of bugs depending on the file/media:

At best, audio is mostly fine except for an audio delay with respect to the picture, so I need to introduce a 0.15 - 0.3 sec delay in the settings. What sucks is that there is no delay with other audio format (e.g. DD) so I have to adjust this depending on the movie I want to watch .... And the adjustment is mostly OK, but I am never really sure that the sync is 100% perfect, there's always this weird out of sync feeling.

At worst, the audio stutters (turns on/off multiple times at high frequency) for the first few seconds/minutes of play time, until it "stabilizes" and finally works fine. Of course pausing the movie (or skipping) always runs the risk of triggering the audio issue again.

Now I suspected an issue with my set up, i.e. returning the audio by HDMI/ARC to a not so recent receiver (Yamaha RX-V671). Especially because the sound cutting off also shows on the AVR display as a fast switching of "modes", like the AVR is trying to figure out what format is coming in. But if I output the audio to the TV itself, I get similar issues (in particular the stuttering on/off).

Finally it looks like the issue is due to the way the Kodi player handles audio. I have tested all these issues (sync delay and sound cutting) with the default Android media player and none shows up with that player. Problem: The default Android player can't play my .mkv through network share (where all my media is). I had to copy each movie to the local storage to do the tests. So I can't really replace the media player in Kodi with that external one. One external player that works through network is VLC, and it works in Kodi as external player ! Problem solved ?? ..... No, its passthrough mode fails with DTS Sad For some reason it outputs DD Sad

I am kind of stuck now. Any suggestions?
Hi all,

Since yesterday I'm tricking with this issue as well. It doesn't matter which video client I use (native, Plex, VLC, Mx Player, Archos or Kodi), DTS-HD MA audio is always unstable, stuttering or even doesn't playback. True-HD audio is completely impossible to playback through software.
Don't know the reason, maybe my TV (Sony XG9505) doesn't support these formats or is not powerful?

I'm so disappointed cause I bought the Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar and want to enjoy the 7.1.4 capabilities.
I believe that I will have to spend another 200€ for the Nvidia Shield Sad
(2020-04-17, 00:00)renesp Wrote: Hi all,

Since yesterday I'm tricking with this issue as well. It doesn't matter which video client I use (native, Plex, VLC, Mx Player, Archos or Kodi), DTS-HD MA audio is always unstable, stuttering or even doesn't playback. True-HD audio is completely impossible to playback through software.
Don't know the reason, maybe my TV (Sony XG9505) doesn't support these formats or is not powerful?

I'm so disappointed cause I bought the Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar and want to enjoy the 7.1.4 capabilities.
I believe that I will have to spend another 200€ for the Nvidia Shield Sad

90% of AndroidTV OS's on tv's especially Sony and Philips doesn't support TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.
You have to use an external Android media player like Amlogic S905x3, S922x devices from eg. Ugoos or CoreELEC on any S905x-S922x device but then you loose Android since CoreELEC is a Linux Kodi OS or any Rockchip device with Android 10 or an Nvidia Shield that supports IEC61937 audio passthrough.
Non of the TVs out there supports True-HD or DTS-HD MA. At least not in a way people want. They support it in a way that they can play lossy core inside those formats but getting lossless formats out of them is a no go. And eARC is not designed for that but it was and still is marketed in a way that most people think that having it means that finally we can get lossless formats out from TVs. Well, we can't and don't see that this will change in a near future.
Thing is that the MediaTek chipset does not support outputting multi-channel HD audio. I think it only has a SPDIF, supporting 2 channels at 16-bit/192kHz which is routed to HDMI ARC/eARC on the X1, resulting in a maximum bandwidth of 6.144mbps. So it can support up to DD+ Atmos. These are the limitations for Android TV and apps which run on the MediaTek. The X1 image processor with its eARC capability can forward multi-channel HD audio for connected HDMI playback devices. So you have to differentiate what can be done in the app context and what can be done in the HDMI context.
In order to recap and check if I understood everything well:

If I want to take advantage of my Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar with DTS-HD MA and True HD audio, I will have to buy a new device like Nvidia Shield TV (I'm mentioning this one as everybody says it's the best in his class). As my Sony TV (XG9505) has an eARC port with Android 9 and passthrough option, shall I connect the new device to the TV's available HDMI port or directly to the soundbar?
This is confusing me a bit. The TV is still capable to "forward" DTS-HD MA and True HD audio through the eArc port, coming from an external device?
(2020-04-17, 15:25)renesp Wrote: In order to recap and check if I understood everything well:

If I want to take advantage of my Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar with DTS-HD MA and True HD audio, I will have to buy a new device like Nvidia Shield TV (I'm mentioning this one as everybody says it's the best in his class). As my Sony TV (XG9505) has an eARC port with Android 9 and passthrough option, shall I connect the new device to the TV's available HDMI port or directly to the soundbar?
This is confusing me a bit. The TV is still capable to "forward" DTS-HD MA and True HD audio through the eArc port, coming from an external device?

Yes. Works only as passthrough for external devices.
But your soundbar does not support eARC anyway. Dunno if any update sorted that. If not, you will have to plug shield to it.
(2020-04-18, 10:31)kinggo Wrote:
(2020-04-17, 15:25)renesp Wrote: In order to recap and check if I understood everything well:

Yes. Works only as passthrough for external devices.
But your soundbar does not support eARC anyway. Dunno if any update sorted that. If not, you will have to plug shield to it.

Ok, got it now. Seems that Samsung promised an update time ago but it's still pending. I will connect the shield directly to the bar then...
Hello friend, first forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm new here and still don't understand how it works, but I see you understand the matter, so I'm here to ask for your help. I don't understand this, but I want to have the best audio experience. I have the X900F TV and a Sony 2.1 soundbar. I want to watch a movie on an external hard drive connected to the TV's USB. This movie has 2 audio systems, Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD... My soundbar is connected to the TV via the ARC input. What's the best way to configure Kodi for me to get the best audio performance? I know the TV doesn't support Dolby TrueHD, but the soundbar does. Can I hear Dolby TrueHD audio? Thanks in advance for your attention and once again forgive me if I'm acting wrong.
(2019-08-24, 08:09)CiNcH Wrote: [font][font]Meu X900F e sistema de áudio suportam apenas ARC / DTS. [/font][/font][font][font]Ainda assim, o X900F dedica-se ao DTS-HD via [/font][/font][font][font]ENCODING_DTS_HD[/font][/font][font][font] . [/font][/font][font][font]É suposto funcionar como tal que o núcleo compatível com DTS é extraído para passagem. [/font][/font][font][font]No entanto, o som é interrompido após vários segundos de reprodução. [/font][/font][font][font]É por isso que tenho que desabilitar o DTS-HD. [/font][/font][font][font]Agora Kodi realiza uma extração e dá saída DTS-HD como DTS via ENCODING_DTS. [/font][/font]

[font][font]DTS-HD pode funcionar para modelos mais novos com eARC. [/font][/font][font][font]Talvez você possa dar algum feedback?[/font][/font]
[font][font]Olá amigo, primeiro me perdoe se estou errado, sou novo por aqui e ainda não entendi como funciona, mas vejo que você entende do assunto, então estou aqui para pedir sua ajuda. [/font][font]Não entendo, mas quero ter a melhor experiência de áudio. [/font][font]Tenho uma TV X900F e uma barra de som Sony 2.1. [/font][font]Quero assistir um filme em um disco rígido externo conectado ao USB da TV. [/font][font]Este filme tem 2 sistemas de áudio, Dolby Atmos e Dolby TrueHD ... Minha barra de som está conectado à TV por meio da entrada ARC. [/font][font]Qual é a melhor maneira de configurar o Kodi para eu obter o melhor desempenho de áudio? [/font][font]Eu sei que a TV não suporta Dolby TrueHD, mas a barra de som sim. [/font][font]Posso ouvir o áudio Dolby TrueHD? [/font][font]Agradeço antecipadamente por sua atenção e mais uma vez me perdoe se estou agindo errado.[/font][/font]
@romeriovieira The official language of this forum is English.
Please do not post in any other language here, you can use services such as Google Translate to help you.
Please stop using any apps to type text into this forum because it leaves strange tags in you text.
(2021-06-20, 21:57)asavah Wrote: @romeriovieira The official language of this forum is English.
Please do not post in any other language here, you can use services such as Google Translate to help you.
Please stop using any apps to type text into this forum because it leaves strange tags in you text.

Oh shit, forgive me, I use the translator and ended up getting confused when typing. I apologize again, this will not happen again.
(2021-06-20, 20:06)romeriovieira Wrote: Hello friend, first forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm new here and still don't understand how it works, but I see you understand the matter, so I'm here to ask for your help. I don't understand this, but I want to have the best audio experience. I have the X900F TV and a Sony 2.1 soundbar. I want to watch a movie on an external hard drive connected to the TV's USB. This movie has 2 audio systems, Dolby Atmos and Dolby TrueHD... My soundbar is connected to the TV via the ARC input. What's the best way to configure Kodi for me to get the best audio performance? I know the TV doesn't support Dolby TrueHD, but the soundbar does. Can I hear Dolby TrueHD audio? Thanks in advance for your attention and once again forgive me if I'm acting wrong.

In order to enjoy HD sound likes Dolby TrueHD via your sound bar, u must first check to confirm your TV whether its HDMI port is support “eARC” or not. Then, tick all supported sound format TrueHD, DTS-HD-Master… in audio setting in Kodi.

Reference: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.whathif...ed-to-know

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DTS passthrough on Sony android TV0