Default Select Action broken after v20 upgrade
I've been having the same problem on a new install on a Lenovo P11 Pro Gen 2 tablet I've just bought, I've done a bit more digging after reading this thread.

I use SQL to share my library between devices (Windows 10, Nvidia Shield 2017 (non Pro) and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 along with the new tablet), all are running Nexus 20.1

Windows 10 does not exhibit the problem. This was a fresh install of 20.1

Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 does not exhibit the problem (running Android 9). This was upgraded from 19.5

Nvidia Shield 2017 does not exhibit the problem (running Android 11 Shield Experience 9.1.1) This was upgraded from 19.5

Lenovo P11 Pro Gen 2 (Android 12) has two issues. Some movies do not display the info screen despite this being the default selection and those movies also do not ask to resume.

After doing some more investigation on all devices with the same media I have found that the Lenovo does not display the info screen for any 4K (UHD) movie, be that a remux from one of my UHD Bluray rips or an encoded version (H265) however 1080P or below files show as normal and the resume points work as well, this works on Bluray/DVD rips, encodes and TV captures all in MKV format.

All of the files tested to fail on the Lenovo worked as expected on the other devices.

I have also tested the Lenovo with the default Estuary skin and the ESTouchy skin with the same results.

I have uploaded a debug log from the Lenovo to https://paste.kodi.tv/howabuwoca

I can get debug logs from the other devices as well though I do not know what they will show as everything works as expected on those.

Edit: just read through the log and it cut off before playing a working file so I've uploaded another log to https://paste.kodi.tv/xexodiwite
Nobody has any more thoughts on this or other things to try, glaringly obvious stupid thing I've missed?

I can run more tests on any of my devices as required if anybody wants more info.
i will share a couple thoughts

despite your log saying "Enabled debug logging due to GUI setting (2)" it is not actually a debug log, if you are familiar with adb you may have to enable at the system level like firetv devices - see here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=371987
(note it should say DEBUG all over the log)

since your other 2 devices do not exhibit the issue, i might suspect it is related to either the lenovo or android 12. the first im unfamiliar with the second im not sure is fully supported by kodi yet.

if we can get the Debug Log there may be a chance to find more information
There is a lot of funky stuff going on with Android 12 it has to be said so it's possible that I might need to set the log level via ADB or via advancedsettings.xml

I will try this when I get home and upload some more debug logs.

I will also upload a log from my Samsung Tab S3 to see if there are any differences.
(2023-05-22, 17:16)Mnementh Wrote: There is a lot of funky stuff going on with Android 12 it has to be said so it's possible that I might need to set the log level via ADB or via advancedsettings.xml

I will try this when I get home and upload some more debug logs.

I will also upload a log from my Samsung Tab S3 to see if there are any differences.

right on

note that enabling from adb only allows you to retrieve debug level from logd on android you also have to have it enabled in kodi for kodi to write debug messages to logd

so, both are needed
Apologies, I haven't had the time to do this yet. Life stuff, who knew...

We have a long weekend in the UK this weekend so I will do my best to get a bunch of logs in different scenarios over the weekend.
I have finally managed to get a debug log from my Android 12 device, turned out to be a right royal PITA

It can be found here https://paste.kodi.tv/ufewovucik

I played a couple of 4K UHD Bluray rips which exhibit the issue with not showing the information popup and also not recognising the resumestate

I also played a 1080p Bluray rip which worked as expected.

Prior to this due to the issues I was having with getting the debug log I did some more testing and completely wiped the install of 20.1 from the Lenovo tablet and installed 19.4 (the theory being that an upgrade from 19.4 on my Shield and Samsung tablet did not experience the issue). I tested the playback operation on 19.4 on the Lenovo tablet and it worked as expected with the 4K UHD rips showing the information screen and also honouring the resumestate.

I then upgraded the 19.4 installation to 20.1 and the problem re-occurred, no resumestate and no info popup, just straight in to the movie.

Hopefully the debug log will shed some light on the problem, now I've resolved the issue with the logs I can get more if required and I can go back to 19.4 to do more testing if needed as well.
Nobody have any ideas on this, or alternative tests to do?
Hello,
I am having the same issue with Kodi 20.2 running default Estuary skin on Windows 10.

I suspected the TMDB helper to be the cause as it can override the select action behavior (my usual skin is Artic Zephyr skin and I have been using it continuouly with no such issue since Kodi 18).
So I reverted the skin to Estuary, deinstalled both Artic Zephyr and TMDB movie helper, reset "Action on select in the Settings > Library > Videos" to "choose".
When I select a movie in the library (file hosted on my network NAS), the "choose" menu popus up and the movie starts playing when I select "Show details" in the menu (same behavior as "Play" action).

Note that the movie information page gets displayed only when selecting the "Information" entry from the context menu.

Here is the log related : Kodi log
How exactly does your "choose menu" look like, which items does it contain?

Mine contains "Play", "Show information" and "More...". Selecting Play starts playback of the video, "Show information" opens the video info dialog. So, works as it should here.
(2023-08-06, 19:13)ksooo Wrote: How exactly does your "choose menu" look like, which items does it contain?

Mine contains "Play", "Show information" and "More...". Selecting Play starts playback of the video, "Show information" opens the video info dialog. So, works as it should here.
My "choose menu" is like yours: 3 items : "Play", "Show information" and 'More..."
  - [Play] starts video playback
  - [Show information] starts video playback instead of taking me to the video details page
  - [More..] takes me to the context menu. In that menu, the [Information] item takes me to the video details page

it seems that the [Show information] action is different from the [Information] action and that it is mapped to play action for some reason.
Choosing [Show information] from the menu or setting the default action to [Show information] (from Settings > Library > Videos > Default select action) both result in triggering a play command
@wawa79 if I provide you a special version with additional debug logging information, would you be willing to test and post a log here?

I had a look at the code and found out that when showing the info fails for some reason, playback will be tried as fallback. Does not make much sense for me, but this code is there for ages. Something must have changed from Matrix to Nexus that leads to not being able to show the info dialog for movies that had a working info dialog in Matrix.
(2023-08-06, 22:30)ksooo Wrote: @wawa79 if I provide you a special version with additional debug logging information, would you be willing to test and post a log here?

I had a look at the code and found out that when showing the info fails for some reason, playback will be tried as fallback. Does not make much sense for me, but this code is there for ages. Something must have changed from Matrix to Nexus that leads to not being able to show the info dialog for movies that had a working info dialog in Matrix.

Yep, sure, I will test it and report you the log
@wawa79 here we go: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windo...on-x64.exe - For now, no fix intended, I only added some logging to check my assumptions.
(2023-08-06, 23:23)ksooo Wrote: @wawa79 here we go: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/windo...on-x64.exe - For now, no fix intended, I only added some logging to check my assumptions.

Here is the result: Kodi Log
It reports "error : Unable to show item video information. Neither a scraper nor database info available"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Default Select Action broken after v20 upgrade0