Dolby Digital audio output lacks 'punch' when not using pass-through mode?
Hm, last time I compiled on a windows machine was years ago - but if you have gotten that far, there isn't really that much to do left: you open the correct visual studio project file, maybe go through the project settings to set the project to compile a "release" version instead of a "debug" build - and then after compiling (this takes some time) you should somehwere have gotten your executable file.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Clumsy Wrote:Hm, last time I compiled on a windows machine was years ago - but if you have gotten that far, there isn't really that much to do left: you open the correct visual studio project file, maybe go through the project settings to set the project to compile a "release" version instead of a "debug" build - and then after compiling (this takes some time) you should somehwere have gotten your executable file.

i got to there, but it gave me an error, which i cant remember what it was exactly, something to do with incorrect functions or functioncalls.

i'll just be patient with this one. it seems a shame it won't make it to 9.10,

I imagine there are alot of people who will switch to LPCM output in the near future, or will want to use the sync playback to display feature (which is superb), and this will affect them. It doesnt affect usability of the software so i can see why it has the priority level it does.
neil.j1983 Wrote:its a real shame, i tried media portal and its nowhere near xbmc. its got a bunch of plugins that sound cool, but xbmc just works! its got an interface that has never required me to use a keyboard and...........i'll stop singing its praises now!

I'm both a user of media portal and xbmc and I think most would agree that media portal has the better internal player atm as it supports codecs that one has installed on their PC. XBMC of course atm has the eye candy.
Who said it won't make it to 9.10? There are, as always, no promises that a feature will make it to the next point release, but there are always goals.

Also, uncertainty, I think the "most" you are referring to are people who know how to get Mediaportal to use different codecs. While XBMC has eye candy, it's number 1 calling card is that you can install it and it will just work.
uncertainty Wrote:I'm both a user of media portal and xbmc and I think most would agree that media portal has the better internal player atm as it supports codecs that one has installed on their PC. XBMC of course atm has the eye candy.
Media Portal doesn't allow for subtitles synching on the fly, a feature pretty much all other media players worth their name offer. Hence it's definitely not the better player, not for me.
uncertainty Wrote:I'm both a user of media portal and xbmc and I think most would agree that media portal has the better internal player atm as it supports codecs that one has installed on their PC. XBMC of course atm has the eye candy.

well, i think it might be a biased response you'll get on this forum. but xbmc has IMO easily the best interface. If you have both AC3 and DTS in a file, mediaportal cannot distinguish between them, unless it from a disc, or you need a special file splitter.

natethomas Wrote:Who said it won't make it to 9.10? There are, as always, no promises that a feature will make it to the next point release, but there are always goals.

i saw "Milestone: Future / Pending" and added a pinch of pessimism.
natethomas Wrote:Who said it won't make it to 9.10? There are, as always, no promises that a feature will make it to the next point release, but there are always goals.

Also, uncertainty, I think the "most" you are referring to are people who know how to get Mediaportal to use different codecs. While XBMC has eye candy, it's number 1 calling card is that you can install it and it will just work.

I'm not certain if you know this but the original developer of XBMC left in order to start Mediaportal. Anyway, like I said, both are great multimedia frontends and each has its positives.
uncertainty Wrote:I'm not certain if you know this but the original developer of XBMC left in order to start Mediaportal. Anyway, like I said, both are great multimedia frontends and each has its positives.

i do recall that, but i find mediaportal a bit faffy, too reliant on plugins (although its a cool feature).
uncertainty Wrote:I'm not certain if you know this but the original developer of XBMC left in order to start Mediaportal. Anyway, like I said, both are great multimedia frontends and each has its positives.

I thought about getting hostile about someone questioning my history knowledge, but I ultimately decided against it. Instead, I'm mostly just curious what that has to do with my statement.
natethomas Wrote:I thought about getting hostile about someone questioning my history knowledge, but I ultimately decided against it. Instead, I'm mostly just curious what that has to do with my statement.

No reason to get hostile Big Grin.... The point I was trying to make, and guess it was not worded well, is that Media Portal is an extension of the XBMC project and both frontends should be applauded. I use both, one for the TV tuner support and the other for the gorgeous skins. This is now getting way off topic so I'll end it here....
i've now switched to using MPC-HC as an external player (yuck!). working ok though.
I've gone ahead and added an option in advancedsettings.xml to disable DRC.

Committed in SVN (r21779).

This can be done for either AC3 and/or DTS.

Default is still true.

Disable DRC in advancedsettings.xml by using:

<video>
<applyac3drc>false</applyac3drc>
<applydtsdrc>false</applydtsdrc>
</video>
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
tslayer, thank you very much.

you've made my day! no more external player!

edit - i think its about time i donated!
Once you get a build with this, let me know if it works. I don't have the ear for this kind of thing, so the change was done without really testing.

Thanks.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

tslayer Wrote:I've gone ahead and added an option in advancedsettings.xml to disable DRC.

Committed in SVN (r21779).

This can be done for either AC3 and/or DTS.

Default is still true.

Disable DRC in advancedsettings.xml by using:

<video>
<applyac3drc>false</applyac3drc>
<applydtsdrc>false</applydtsdrc>
</video>

Just to clarify, this setting will only be needed for analog connections right?

I currently use a digital connection (spdif) for my 5.1 (dts/ac3).

thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Digital audio output lacks 'punch' when not using pass-through mode?0