Win Windows 7 SMB Wiki update
I agree about trying to keep as much information as possible in house but in this instance, it was better to provide information from an external source as it is the most accurate. I'm all for making the most accurate information available to existing and new users.
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
(2015-07-28, 03:38)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-07-28, 01:39)levi.baker88 Wrote: - The link is from the source (Windows) if they can't get it right, well, there are bigger issues.

- Windows have done the leg work, why duplicate what can already be found (rather easily too) and waste time.

- Also, it's one click, not exactly an effort. Almost all web browsers have 'tabbed browsing' as default.

It doesn't matter if it's one click. That's one click too many. The wiki exists for a reason, and that reason is to provide info. The only time you should be taken away from the wiki is for further reading.

Not to mention that external pages have a habit of disappearing.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-07-28, 05:05)levi.baker88 Wrote: I agree about trying to keep as much information as possible in house but in this instance, it was better to provide information from an external source as it is the most accurate. I'm all for making the most accurate information available to existing and new users.

That is what "For more information, visit X site" is for. Look, I love having a conversation, but forcing users off the wiki so they can learn how to do something they visited the wiki for simply isn't something that's acceptable. If you want to copy/paste all those pages, or screenshot them and host those images on the wiki, that's fine. But forcing users off the wiki is not going to work.

edit: To be clear, an external source is never better. It is never better. The information needs to be in the wiki.
Just a side note, please don't actually cut and paste text from other websites onto the wiki, unless that text is a compatible copy-left license with creative commons.
(2015-07-28, 10:50)Ned Scott Wrote: Just a side note, please don't actually cut and paste text from other websites onto the wiki, unless that text is a compatible copy-left license with creative commons.

How do you find that out Ned?
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
(2015-07-28, 10:31)natethomas Wrote:
(2015-07-28, 05:05)levi.baker88 Wrote: I agree about trying to keep as much information as possible in house but in this instance, it was better to provide information from an external source as it is the most accurate. I'm all for making the most accurate information available to existing and new users.

That is what "For more information, visit X site" is for. Look, I love having a conversation, but forcing users off the wiki so they can learn how to do something they visited the wiki for simply isn't something that's acceptable. If you want to copy/paste all those pages, or screenshot them and host those images on the wiki, that's fine. But forcing users off the wiki is not going to work.

edit: To be clear, an external source is never better. It is never better. The information needs to be in the wiki.

I updated the wiki with a breakdown of required steps (without copy and paste). I will take some screenshots and add those as well, much like what has been done in Adding_video_sources (wiki). I have then included the link to the Microsoft website under further reading.
(2015-07-28, 12:13)levi.baker88 Wrote:
(2015-07-28, 10:50)Ned Scott Wrote: Just a side note, please don't actually cut and paste text from other websites onto the wiki, unless that text is a compatible copy-left license with creative commons.

How do you find that out Ned?

Mainly by asking and/or assuming everything is not-copy left :)

Information itself isn't copyrightable, but just the way it is written. You can keep steps the same but reword the instructions, and that should be enough. Just imagine you are telling someone else how to do something from memory, without the exact text in front of you.

Images on the wiki aren't as strict, and non-copy left images are allowed as "fair use".
I would like to confirm the info about doing a registry edit within Windows for the Matricom Midnight MX2, someone here said that they had this issue. Have you tried with Isengard as it has better Android support?
I've added a new section that restores the original Windows 7 instructions as an "alternative" guide. I know a lot of work has been put into this, and I really hate to take any of that down, but homegroups should not be the main instructions for users. They're just awful when used with Kodi. We'll figure something out so it's not all just one wall of text, and we'll include everything, but logically.
Use the click to expand thingy for the different sections maybe.
I am still adding information to this, even if it doesn't seem like it at times. The purpose of the homegroup is to share within a local environment, which does work well.

I tried doing some screen capture testing today so that I could include a short clip of adding an SMB source but my NUC runs OpenELEC, from what I gather you can't really add additional programs like a normal OS (well you can if you know to write source code)? I'm trying to use Open Broadcaster Software.

I can do it on my main PC but it doesn't portray how the Homegroup encompasses the shares properly, which is what I'm trying to get across.
I've just added collapse sections to try stop the page becoming a wall of text.

The Homegroup section and "Share with" section will both probably need proper introduction outside of the collapsed area to give an overview of each method.
I like the collapsible sections, pretty mint. I've added what's necessary for the homegroup stuff, if I think of anything else I'll give it an update.

Should be able to something similar for Windows 10 soonish too. This thread can be un-stickied, but would still like to keep it active if anyone has further feedback.
Considering adding those collapsible's for the Fixes section since they nicely condense the information so the reader isn't immediately presented with a wall of text, so they can just pick out the detail of what they need.
Installed Win 10 last night and applied the Homegroup theory and it worked like a treat again.

Has anyone tried anything different in Windows 10 to get SMB working?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 SMB Wiki update2