• 4(current)
Sony Android TV Passthrough not working for anything
Please kindly harass the Sony supporters on their internet relevant forums in regards to the lack of proper passthrough/audio API utilization and broken drivers.

We - the Philips folk - do our part on the Philips support.
Mayhaps we shall live the day when we have an unbroken fw.
(2017-06-07, 08:24)Jinx1337 Wrote: Please kindly harass the Sony supporters on their internet relevant forums in regards to the lack of proper passthrough/audio API utilization and broken drivers.

We - the Philips folk - do our part on the Philips support.
Mayhaps we shall live the day when we have an unbroken fw.
Have been doing that for months already. Think this is why we got 640kbps AC3 via RAW...

I am constantly posting my bug list, see here. There are several MediaTek related bugs inside which most probably also bother Philips people..
Unfortunately, as it seems, Philips FW development has completely stalled....
We don't even have fully working AC3...

I must admit, I have made worst decision in my life to buy this TV, tried even Plex on it and of course, it has all the same issues as well (plus some others).
So untill firmware is fixed, which I already doubt will ever happen, this TV can be used only as "dumb" screen...
Pretty much the same with Sony. Philips at least has a much better DVB tuner integration than Sony. I also consider this Sony the worst CE device I ever owned in my whole life.

I can't understand why Philips and Sony are not going after MediaTek. Assume that those SoC's are so cheap that they can't claim anything.
I have the 2017 x800e. 55 inch. So disappointed In the android TV audio handling. No Kodi passthru. Spotify either. Only Netflix passes thru audio, and only in DD for me (my receiver can handle DD+, but seemingly not over ARC)

Paid $1700 Canadian for this and all I'm getting is good picture. Audio and features are a downgrade. I will be returning this set and getting a "dumber" 55" TV and continue using my Nexus Player with Kodi.
pulling my hairs out - hope someone can help me here. Running a Sony x8500E (2017 model) with latest firmware against an Onkyo NR808 AVR connected via HDMI/ARC. First install of Kodi (17.3) was from the play store. Everything as expected and as I now know also expected that passthrough didn't work. Disabled passthrough and all good - be it that I didn't get the sound quality I was hoping for (and am getting via a Windows PC running Kodi and even via a Minix U9)

Then I read in this thread about the RAW version - and since I like my audio to be best possible (Yes I run a large 5.1 setup) I tried that one. Strangely enough after installing that I no longer could see any options in KODI under passthrough at all. After lots of (unsuccessful) fiddling I figured the install of the RAW must have broken things so uninstalled KODI and removed all files in .kodi. Fresh install from play store and NO PASSTHROUGH options. Uninstall again and installed the Shitty version - still no passthrough options. Tried RAW again - still no passthrough option.

Reset the sound settings on the Bravia itself - still no go.

I really want to run Kodi on the TV as its picture quality is far superior compared to that from a Windows PC connected via HDMI through the Onkyo to the TV. The Onkyo isn't 4K so sends on 1080P and the Bravia doesn't upscale that as good as it does for the onboard KODI instance.

Any ideas??

thnx

EDIT: NOTE TO SELF - don't have a headphone connected to the TV as that disables any possibility for PT and leaves the Kodi sound menu without anything under PT...
No Debug Log no issue. It has all needed. No need for a wall of text :-)

Hint: set settings level to expert
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-06-18, 09:45)fritsch Wrote: Hint: set settings level to expert
Its surprising the number of people that overlook the - Kodi Expert setting.

It's surprising how many lines of text I am supposed to read daily, cause no one cares about the "Read this before posting" thread :-(
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Was in Expert mode - with a plug inserted in the headphone socket of the TV the TV no longer advertises PT capabilities. Kodi in the system settings/SystemAudio form will still show the "Audio Passthrough" header but no lines under it. I would have expected a grayed out "Allow Passthrough" line but nothing at all.

As for the log - created one and had a look myself. Rather than uploading I edited my post...

Thnx for all the hard work!
That is exactly as it's designed to be :-)
(2017-06-06, 16:13)oo.viper.oo Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 15:44)lucius Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 14:36)oo.viper.oo Wrote: Just quick report that SHITTY passthrough works fine on my Sony KD-55XD8005 -> optical -> Onkyo TX-SR605 even with the latest shitty build as of today and the latest Sony firmware based on Android 7 Nougat. In other words it works the same as with previous Sony Android 6 Marshmallow and older shitty v17.0.

I didn't even bother to try non-shitty version as I read on Sony forums that Mediatek bugs were not fixed in Nougat, but I'm glad my shitty solution wasn't broken with the latest Kodi build and latest Sony Android.

Hi oo.viper.oo,
What settings do you use for the shitty version, I guess the version is 2505? I'm with KD-XE498077 and after update to 7.0, even the old hack with always transcode to AC3 < 640 kbps does not work. Of course the build in app, and apps like Netflix work as expected. Passthrough to TV (HDMI) and then from TV to receiver (S/PDIF) works perfect though - any format, DD, DTS, AC3 640 kbps, anything Smile Sound coming from an app on the TV - now this is the problem.

Ok,

Kodi version used: kodi-20170525-b2b9d8b-shitty-armeabi-v7a.apk
SONY version used: Android 7.0 BRAVIA_ATV2_EU-user 7.0 NRD91N.S36 1.6.0.26.02.1.00
-------------------------------------------
Kodi System/Audio settings (loosely translated from my language to English):

Number of channels: 2
Configuration of output: best match
Remaining settings not relevant, or so I think

Enable passthrough: yes
Receiver compatible with Dolby Digital: yes
- enable transcoding to Dolby Digital: yes
Receiver compatible with Dolby Digital Plus: no
Receiver compatible with DTS: yes
Receiver compatible with ... all other stuff: no (well, it is compatible, but this stuff can't be passed through optical)

Enable DSP processing: no
SONY TV Audio settings:

Output: audio system
Preference of audio system: yes
Headphones output/audio output: audio output (fixed)
Output for headphones or speaker: enabled (this option is greyed out)
Home theater control - not relevant
System sounds: disabled
Digital audio output: Auto 1
TV position: stand - don't think it's relevant

With above, I get:

DD is passed through as DD
DTS is passed through as DTS
AAC is transcoded to DD
My TV sony 49x8000D with latest ATV 7.0, kodi-20170616-5d84003-shitty-armeabi-v7a.apk. i did the same setting with you but result :

DD is passed through as BIG NOISE Angry
DTS is passed through as DTS Big Grin
AAC is transcoded to BIG NOISE Angry

even if i set:
Receiver compatible with Dolby Digital: no
- enable transcoding to Dolby Digital: no
DD and AAC => BIG NOISE
Perfect isn't it? That why that build is called shitty. But nice to know that even PCM causes big noise ...

Make sure to set speakers to 2.0 when testing ... if that'S really true what you are saying then simple mp3 playback should produce the noise too ...
(2017-06-22, 17:08)fritsch Wrote: Perfect isn't it? That why that build is called shitty. But nice to know that even PCM causes big noise ...

Make sure to set speakers to 2.0 when testing ... if that'S really true what you are saying then simple mp3 playback should produce the noise too ...
all i mentioned above is passthrough on. when turned off passthrough option, evething work fine
(2017-06-22, 16:59)cuadedanh Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 16:13)oo.viper.oo Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 15:44)lucius Wrote: Hi oo.viper.oo,
What settings do you use for the shitty version, I guess the version is 2505? I'm with KD-XE498077 and after update to 7.0, even the old hack with always transcode to AC3 < 640 kbps does not work. Of course the build in app, and apps like Netflix work as expected. Passthrough to TV (HDMI) and then from TV to receiver (S/PDIF) works perfect though - any format, DD, DTS, AC3 640 kbps, anything Smile Sound coming from an app on the TV - now this is the problem.

Ok,

Kodi version used: kodi-20170525-b2b9d8b-shitty-armeabi-v7a.apk
SONY version used: Android 7.0 BRAVIA_ATV2_EU-user 7.0 NRD91N.S36 1.6.0.26.02.1.00
Kodi System/Audio settings (loosely translated from my language to English):

Number of channels: 2
Configuration of output: best match
Remaining settings not relevant, or so I think

Enable passthrough: yes
Receiver compatible with Dolby Digital: yes
- enable transcoding to Dolby Digital: yes
Receiver compatible with Dolby Digital Plus: no
Receiver compatible with DTS: yes
Receiver compatible with ... all other stuff: no (well, it is compatible, but this stuff can't be passed through optical)

Enable DSP processing: no
SONY TV Audio settings:

Output: audio system
Preference of audio system: yes
Headphones output/audio output: audio output (fixed)
Output for headphones or speaker: enabled (this option is greyed out)
Home theater control - not relevant
System sounds: disabled
Digital audio output: Auto 1
TV position: stand - don't think it's relevant

With above, I get:

DD is passed through as DD
DTS is passed through as DTS
AAC is transcoded to DD
My TV sony 49x8000D with latest ATV 7.0, kodi-20170616-5d84003-shitty-armeabi-v7a.apk. i did the same setting with you but result :

DD is passed through as BIG NOISE Angry
DTS is passed through as DTS Big Grin
AAC is transcoded to BIG NOISE Angry

even if i set:
Receiver compatible with Dolby Digital: no
- enable transcoding to Dolby Digital: no
DD and AAC => BIG NOISE

it is not stable, DTS some time works, some time is big noise

finaly. i found that, with kodi-20170602-ff420ba-sonyraw-armeabi-v7a, DTS can transcode to AC3 ( the same as previous ATV 6.0 firmware)
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Android TV Passthrough not working for anything0