kodi 17.6 hangs during library scanning
(2021-07-23, 18:06)Captor Wrote: Pity Kodi have done changes about the scraping ability.

Some (most?) changes were not ours, but more by the information providers. If they change something, we'll need to follow.
(2021-07-23, 19:43)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-07-23, 18:06)Captor Wrote: Pity Kodi have done changes about the scraping ability.

Some (most?) changes were not ours, but more by the information providers. If they change something, we'll need to follow.
Hi, thanks for answering. Why can you not use the same providers you used in 17.6 in the newer Kodis? Sorry that I not understand I am just curious. As far as I see they have the same names, no?
We do use most of the 'old' info providers. It's just that TVDB had quite a bad run 2-3 years ago, where Kodi ran into quite a lot of troubles. That's mainly the reason we also switched over to TMDB for the TV series. Right now we have Python-3 versions of the scraper, which still can use some further finetuning. But it is easier to update it with fixes and requires less maintenance for its developer(s), if I understand it correctly. TVDB is also actively in the process of upgrading its next API version for better compatibility and stability. So, it's all work under construction.

Possible API changes at the info providers would have to be back-ported for Kodi v17.6, which is really not every developer's wet dream.
There is a limit to backwards compatibility, which Kodi already is already infamous for: downgrading a running setup is never recommended.
(2021-07-23, 21:12)Klojum Wrote: We do use most of the 'old' info providers. It's just that TVDB had quite a bad run 2-3 years ago, where Kodi ran into quite a lot of troubles. That's mainly the reason we also switched over to TMDB for the TV series. Right now we have Python-3 versions of the scraper, which still can use some further finetuning. But it is easier to update it with fixes and requires less maintenance for its developer(s), if I understand it correctly. TVDB is also actively in the process of upgrading its next API version for better compatibility and stability. So, it's all work under construction.

Possible API changes at the info providers would have to be back-ported for Kodi v17.6, which is really not every developer's wet dream.
There is a limit to backwards compatibility, which Kodi already is already infamous for: downgrading a running setup is never recommended.
My 17.6 works fine about everything also in scraping. It finds almost every movie title only not finding maybe 2-3 movies from 1000. But 19.1 is not finding about 80%. It is a huge difference.
However it sounds nice that this is a work under construction so maybe there will be some increase in scraping later on. I will check in again from time to time in the future and give it a new try. Maybe Kodi 20 :-)
Thanks for the info and also again thanks for trying to help me all in here. It is very appreciated.
At least from the last time we spoke to them, the new TVDB scraper for their upcoming new API will only be Python3, so Matrix and onward only. They are not doing a Python2 scraper (for Leia and backwards). So when they finally push the button on this and remove their current/older APIs, then all existing TVDB scrapers will stop working and there won't be any solution for Leia or older versions.

Of course this may change, and indeed a community-based scraper may be made for the older Kodi versions to fill the gap. But as things stand, there won't be any "official" scrapers from either TVDB or Team Kodi for Python2-based versions of Kodi.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-07-24, 11:01)DarrenHill Wrote: At least from the last time we spoke to them, the new TVDB scraper for their upcoming new API will only be Python3, so Matrix and onward only. They are not doing a Python2 scraper (for Leia and backwards). So when they finally push the button on this and remove their current/older APIs, then all existing TVDB scrapers will stop working and there won't be any solution for Leia or older versions.

Of course this may change, and indeed a community-based scraper may be made for the older Kodi versions to fill the gap. But as things stand, there won't be any "official" scrapers from either TVDB or Team Kodi for Python2-based versions of Kodi.

Thanks for the information! 
I see. Then we/I can only hope there will be a community-based scraper for the older versions. And also that maybe the scrapers for the newer versions will be less sensible about the file names.
(2021-07-24, 12:22)Captor Wrote: And also that maybe the scrapers for the newer versions will be less sensible about the file names.

I have to disagree here.  The only thing holding you back here is your reluctance to not rename your files.  If you do that, not only will the experience be better now, but it will continue to be so going forward.  On the other hand, if you're happy to stick with 17.6 then fine, but you are missing out on a whole host of bug-fixes and new features.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-07-24, 13:52)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-07-24, 12:22)Captor Wrote: And also that maybe the scrapers for the newer versions will be less sensible about the file names.

I have to disagree here.  The only thing holding you back here is your reluctance to not rename your files.  If you do that, not only will the experience be better now, but it will continue to be so going forward.  On the other hand, if you're happy to stick with 17.6 then fine, but you are missing out on a whole host of bug-fixes and new features.
Well, I don´t know your situation in life and you don´t know mine. And I must disagree with YOU. The only things that is holding me back is TIME! But that is my problem not yours.
And besides that, I did rename some of the files for testing. Same result! They were not found.
(2021-07-24, 14:25)Captor Wrote: And besides that, I did rename some of the files for testing. Same result! They were not found.

Apparently we're not getting any further in this stalemate. We don't know which of the movie files you renamed to what, so we cannot check that. And according to you a Kodi v19 is only finding 80 percent. This is likely because of unrenamed files, I imagine. No further development is expected currently for Kodi 17.6 specifically. Our work is done here.
(2021-07-24, 15:19)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-07-24, 14:25)Captor Wrote: And besides that, I did rename some of the files for testing. Same result! They were not found.

Apparently we're not getting any further in this stalemate. We don't know which of the movie files you renamed to what, so we cannot check that. And according to you a Kodi v19 is only finding 80 percent. This is likely because of unrenamed files, I imagine. No further development is expected currently for Kodi 17.6 specifically. Our work is done here.
Yes, except you misunderstood. Kodi 19 NOT finding 80 percent. Finding only 20%. But we are at the end of the road and I say thank you very much to all who tried to help. I appreciate that!
(2021-07-24, 17:16)Klojum Wrote: .
Smile and so it goes.
I honestly cant remember when the scrapers failed to scrape a movie or tv show for me. It always just works for me. But then, I do name my files correctly Smile

This is an example of my folder naming. See how clean and simple it is. The files inside are also as clean and simply named. I honestly would hate to see a snapshot of one of your folders.

I find it funny that this thread has blown out to 57 posts for a simple file and folder naming problem by the OP.

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@Captor

Sorry, I do not know why the thread was locked. But it is now unlocked.

Button 14 or 18 to upload images
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Karellen, here are 2 snapshots. Yeap there is a lot of garbage in the names but that was no problem before.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi 17.6 hangs during library scanning0