Win [ADDED in Frodo] XBMC - Autoplay next video
(2012-09-24, 00:54)magao Wrote:
(2012-09-21, 21:00)PhilipJ Wrote: Nobody keeps 5 different movies in a single directory, so there is absolutely no reason why the player should *not* continue playing the files that follow.

I do. I have a "Movies" directory with lots of movies in it. Why on earth would I have separate directories for each movie which is a single file?
ok, that makes you, and the other guy the only two people who keep everything in a single directory.
see, there are multi disc releases with a separate subtitle file for each part, sometimes even different languages, cover art and some kind of release notes etc..
Keeping hundred movies with all that junk in a single directory...boy, what a mess...

(2012-09-21, 21:00)PhilipJ Wrote: However, that point is irrelevant. "Play from here" ideally should only play back files which match the original sufficiently. Ideally it would also ensure playing back in episode order, stopping if there is a gap. And take into account v1, v2, PROPER, etc.

what about music videos ? These certainly wont have any repeating pattern.
The only correct way is to play everything with an extension matching the kind of media that's playing - ie when playing videos, play all videos, when playing music, play all music files..
(2012-09-24, 09:40)PhilipJ Wrote: ok, that makes you, and the other guy the only two people who keep everything in a single directory.
see, there are multi disc releases with a separate subtitle file for each part, sometimes even different languages, cover art and some kind of release notes etc..
Keeping hundred movies with all that junk in a single directory...boy, what a mess...

I keep all my movies in a single folder and have never had any issues. A ton of people do this. XBMC has no issue with multipart movies in that instance, if I never have something that needs subtitles then it's embedded into the video container, and I have XBMC handle artwork loading. Been doing that for years... so yeah..
(2012-09-21, 21:00)PhilipJ Wrote: this is the single most annoying "feature" (I'll rather call it a bug, or an issue with the design) of xbmc - every single media player I have used - WD TV, Xtreamer, popcorn hour - they all behaved the NORMAL - expected way by default. ie if you have a folder with 10 files and you choose to play the 5th file, it would continue with the remaining files until the end of the directory is reached.
Nobody keeps 5 different movies in a single directory, so there is absolutely no reason why the player should *not* continue playing the files that follow.

The only workaround I have found for this annoying *bug* is the following:
1. select a directory with files (in my case - videos)
2. press play, to have xbmc play the whole directory
3. once the first file starts to play, press the button for videos
4. press the button for context menu
5. choose Now playing
6. in the list of files in the directory selected in the 1st step, choose the file that you wanted to play in the first place
7. voila! the player will continue with the remaining files !

user-friendly as hell

XBMC v11 (been out since March) added a "play from here" option. I have no idea why you are playing videos like that when you can just use "play from here".

What's being discussed in this thread is having the "play from here" option be selectable as a default, rather than an option in the contextual menu.
(2012-09-24, 10:51)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC v11 (been out since March) added a "play from here" option. I have no idea why you are playing videos like that when you can just use "play from here".

What's being discussed in this thread is having the "play from here" option be selectable as a default, rather than an option in the contextual menu.

well, the "Play from here" option is not always available, dunno why.

Having the "Play from here" option selectable as a default action (for all media types) would be perfect.
There was a bug in Eden with play from here. Fixed in Frodo a while back.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I think to get the devs interested in pulling this in we need to pick one of the settings implementation methods and make a strong presentation of it. Frodo feature freeze is probably going to come sooner than later (don't ask me when, I'm not a dev), so if we want it in there for Frodo we need to present something sooner than later.
11.10.2012 everything will be featurefrozen for frodo.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I'd love to be able to choose "play next unwatched episode", instead of having to scroll through folders and the file list. I think this would be a killer feature for TV shows. Most of the time I just watch one or two episodes and then come back to the show a few days later. It'd be great if I could just tell XBMC to plays the next unwatched episode.
(2012-09-27, 08:16)h8buffers Wrote: I'd love to be able to choose "play next unwatched episode", instead of having to scroll through folders and the file list. I think this would be a killer feature for TV shows. Most of the time I just watch one or two episodes and then come back to the show a few days later. It'd be great if I could just tell XBMC to plays the next unwatched episode.
Doesn't the "hide watched" option sort of do this already? Since watched episodes no longer are listed, when you select "Play" at the show name level, it should start playing the next unwatched episode of that show.
(2012-09-26, 23:45)Memphiz Wrote: 11.10.2012 everything will be featurefrozen for frodo.

Wasn't sure if I should tell people or not :D
No reason to hide that info imho.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-09-27, 09:14)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-09-27, 08:16)h8buffers Wrote: I'd love to be able to choose "play next unwatched episode", instead of having to scroll through folders and the file list. I think this would be a killer feature for TV shows. Most of the time I just watch one or two episodes and then come back to the show a few days later. It'd be great if I could just tell XBMC to plays the next unwatched episode.
Doesn't the "hide watched" option sort of do this already? Since watched episodes no longer are listed, when you select "Play" at the show name level, it should start playing the next unwatched episode of that show.

Thanks artrafael! That's a decent workaround. I'd still rather have the option to play the first unwatched, as I prefer to not "hide watched", but can't be too picky, I guess Smile

It just struck me as a feature that should be an immediately obvious choice to implement Smile
I'm going to make a push for this when the October merge window opens up in the next few days. I just noticed that we pretty much have this same option and functionality for music, so it would be a good idea to mirror it in videos for consistency as well as functionality.
You should do the push before - someone has to code it before it can be reviewed and pulled in (and for god sake don't look at me - i just don't care for even thinking about it Wink ).
(2012-09-29, 19:34)Memphiz Wrote: You should do the push before - someone has to code it before it can be reviewed and pulled in (and for god sake don't look at me - i just don't care for even thinking about it Wink ).

There's a PR for it from a few months ago: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1069

Not sure if it needs updating or not. Any idea who's area of expertise this would fall under?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ADDED in Frodo] XBMC - Autoplay next video3