• 59(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-03-26, 21:19)kindrudekid Wrote:
(2014-03-26, 16:27)xbs08 Wrote: @kindrudekid
Post a link to a sample and I be happy to try it in OpenELEC nightly (wired).

One movie that game me trouble was this one
Frozen 2013 1080p. x264 by SPARKS

It goes smothly but as soon as scene changes a lot like diff shot it slugs

Sample plays fine, locally and wireless, without drop frames and steady 23.9x fps, ~20% CPU usage, on OpenELEC nightly build 18012.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-03-26, 22:33)xbs08 Wrote:

Sample plays fine, locally and wireless, without drop frames and steady 23.9x fps, ~20% CPU usage, on OpenELEC nightly build 18012.

thanks I guess I'll switch over once it is out of beta and RC! appreciate it!
(2014-03-26, 16:25)sickpuppy Wrote: So, have someone in here tried out this Version? At the moment I only got a fullHD TV to Connect it to as far as Picture is concerned. But can this system deliver 4K Pictures if I get a 4K TV? I thought the HDMI2.0 was a must-have for 4K?

BTW: I was planning on running Win7x64 ultimate as OS on the Box because that's a OS the ladyfriend and the Girls(10 and 15) knows from the precent system With the same OS With XBMC as "HTPC-engine".
http://e-nautia.com/vanden/disk?p=2148840 (there's a download button to download it)
4k clip, download button under the video. I played this (se a few pages back) - perfectly fluid on DN2820FYKH. It was downscaled for my non-4k TV, but it still has to take full bitrate. Note: These kinds of bitrates are not wifi friendly - some parts have just video bitrate above 100mbit/s. suggest Gbit wired network or local playback.
It'd be great if someone with an actual 4k monitor could try this.

See above reply for 4k clip.

Recently played that very release of Frozen - smooth sailing on win8.1pro, Gotham 220314 nightly.

(2014-03-26, 10:12)ozimek Wrote: General performance in Win8.1 is much better that i expected, BUT there is still one major issue which is unresolved by Intel. I can't make 5.1 work in Netflix, or get DTS-HD to work under windows at all. Surfing some forums (I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread as well) revealed that the unit is missing some "Protected Audio Path" driver stuff.
Could you try the new GFX driver here: https://communities.intel.com/thread/49681 - and post back result with Netflix Metro 5.1 audio? (House Of Cards etc, have DD+ soundtrack) My AVR is off to the shop, so I'm unable to test for a while. I do get good playback on 5.1 DD+ soundtrack over "HDMI display audio" straight to telly - and while the TV is DD+ capable, it still reports as stereo. To little to go on for any real conclusion.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
I just got a doubut regarding my situation.
I have an old yamaha av-receiver that doesn't have hdmi in/out, so i'll connect the NUC to TV with HDMI and from TV to AV-receiver with optical.

In this way i can play all audio format or I could be limited?
S/PDIF is limited to stereo PCM or compressed formats like DTS and AC3. You will not get DTS-HD or TrueHD. In the case of DTS-HD you will get the core DTS track, and (I think) TrueHD will be transcoded to AC3.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-27, 00:36)darkf3d3 Wrote: I have an old yamaha av-receiver that doesn't have hdmi in/out, so i'll connect the NUC to TV with HDMI and from TV to AV-receiver with optical.
In this way i can play all audio format or I could be limited?
Well known situation, myself very recently. As nickr here says, you'll be limited to 2ch (stereo) PCM or compressed formats like DTS and AC3 (As per S/PDIF limitations). Luckily, if your AVR is AC3 (Dolby Digital) capable - an up to date version of XBMC will transcode most incompatible formats for you (AAC multichannel, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus), to AC3.This is not the case with DTS-HD at the moment. But if your AVR is DTS capable, XBMC will pull the "standard" DTS core from DTS-HD, and pass that on to your AVR. If it will transcode that core to AC3, I cannot comment.

Please be noted: The DN2820FYKH (and most other NUCs) does NOT have an S/PDIF connector. You will need a USB soundcard (or DAC) for S/PDIF connectivity. Most of these also have 5.1 analog outputs - and if you use these, I believe you can get TrueHD straight to your receiver (and any other codec - just not DTS-HD atm)... based on the assumption that XBMC can decode these to PCM, seing how it can transcode them to AC3.

Personally I went with a Cmedia CM106 based USB "soundcard" - as these has up to date drivers with good win8.1 support. PM me if you want a link, it's was around $15. I'm not sure the mods would appreciate posting webshop links here... (?)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-03-26, 23:07)pr0xZen Wrote:
(2014-03-26, 16:25)sickpuppy Wrote: So, have someone in here tried out this Version? At the moment I only got a fullHD TV to Connect it to as far as Picture is concerned. But can this system deliver 4K Pictures if I get a 4K TV? I thought the HDMI2.0 was a must-have for 4K?

BTW: I was planning on running Win7x64 ultimate as OS on the Box because that's a OS the ladyfriend and the Girls(10 and 15) knows from the precent system With the same OS With XBMC as "HTPC-engine".
http://e-nautia.com/vanden/disk?p=2148840 (there's a download button to download it)
4k clip, download button under the video. I played this (se a few pages back) - perfectly fluid on DN2820FYKH. It was downscaled for my non-4k TV, but it still has to take full bitrate. Note: These kinds of bitrates are not wifi friendly - some parts have just video bitrate above 100mbit/s. suggest Gbit wired network or local playback.
It'd be great if someone with an actual 4k monitor could try this.

See above reply for 4k clip.

Recently played that very release of Frozen - smooth sailing on win8.1pro, Gotham 220314 nightly.

(2014-03-26, 10:12)ozimek Wrote: General performance in Win8.1 is much better that i expected, BUT there is still one major issue which is unresolved by Intel. I can't make 5.1 work in Netflix, or get DTS-HD to work under windows at all. Surfing some forums (I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread as well) revealed that the unit is missing some "Protected Audio Path" driver stuff.
Could you try the new GFX driver here: https://communities.intel.com/thread/49681 - and post back result with Netflix Metro 5.1 audio? (House Of Cards etc, have DD+ soundtrack) My AVR is off to the shop, so I'm unable to test for a while. I do get good playback on 5.1 DD+ soundtrack over "HDMI display audio" straight to telly - and while the TV is DD+ capable, it still reports as stereo. To little to go on for any real conclusion.

I tried the Clip, plays but at 12 FPS, you think this is realated to Ubuntu 12.10 ? maybe codecs?
Why do you use Ubuntu 12.10?
| myHTPC |
(2014-03-27, 17:38)-DDD- Wrote: Why do you use Ubuntu 12.10?

Typo error!

the latest ubuntu 13.10
How do you set up your XBMC and Drivers on Ubuntu?
| myHTPC |
(2014-03-27, 18:46)-DDD- Wrote: How do you set up your XBMC and Drivers on Ubuntu?

Install XBMC, edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.con and add user-session=xbmc
restart so now it boots directly into XBMC. Done
Maybe you have forgotten one of this Steps?!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707
| myHTPC |
(2014-03-27, 22:23)-DDD- Wrote: Maybe you have forgotten one of this Steps?!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707

out of curiosity, what does it do in a nutshell?
(2014-03-27, 17:33)kindrudekid Wrote: I tried the Clip, plays but at 12 FPS, you think this is realated to Ubuntu 12.10 ? maybe codecs?
Its OK to trim Quotes when they get very big Wink (Just leave the esentials in)
I wouldn't know - I'm running Windows 8.1.
(2014-03-27, 17:33)kindrudekid Wrote: I tried the Clip, plays but at 12 FPS, you think this is realated to Ubuntu 12.10 ? maybe codecs?
That is often a result of misconfigured audio.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 59(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5